The truth about olive oil for our telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Moniyaw, May 23, 2019.

1. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Olive oil - Mrs Deeve uses it for roasted beets, carrots, spuds, etc.
    Or Salad dressing.

Not used for even a roasted neck.
    Peace - Deeve

Obsessed and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  2. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

The F-one lasts for a year if the board is cleaned correctly and the conditioner is applied correctly. An unfinished board is not supposed to feel greasy. It is supposed to feel smooth. The idea is to keep the natural oils in the rosewood preserved. I did this with a 30 year old
    acoustic. Clean the fretboard with non ammonia window cleaner until the rag shows no more dirt. Then using 600 grit sandpaper polish the frets and your fretboard with it. Be gentle but hit the whole board with the paper. Clean it again with window cleaner and let it dry. Put a small dot of f-one on every fret and rub it in and let it sit for a few minutes. Then wipe it off with a dry clean cloth. Repeat this process until the board stops absorbing. Wipe it off completely. Your board will be perfect. And this product will not loosen your frets.

3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Bore oil is best, olive oil is bad. You may get away with it, but it's foul.

FrontPU likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I dont think Olive oil will rot the wood, but no I would generally avoid using food type oil. They like to grow things and do go rancid after a while.. However, not a huge deal either if the oil you use is fresh.!

5. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

I just wipe the board down with thick cut bacon.

ozzeng, Tele295, Wildcard_35 and 13 others like this.
  6. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I'm telling you bro you do this and you will be very happy with the results. I am not a luthier but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

7. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

I use Guitar Honey twice a yr. Hell, im in Ariz. and I aint got no problems as long as my humidifier is running.

8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

You've all got me worried now. The fretboard below is 60 years old and was last oiled sometime in the 70's. Is it going to go bad now? If I use olive oil should it be extra virgin? Single estate? Will the tone vary if I use Italian or Californian olive oil?
    IMG_20190523_201059024.jpg

9. simond

simond Tele-Meister

I have had a little bottle of Huon Pine oil for conditioning fret boards for thirty years or so. Huon logs that were cut 200 years ago and left in the water are still fished out and yeild good timber because of the oil content. Best boat building timber in the world. Smells wonderful. You might find it hard to get if you're not in Tasmania.

10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

If you use Olive Oyl, Popeye may get angry. Look out if he eats his spinach.

11. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

As an Italian guy, I'd say Italian.

But really, it hasn't been conditioned for almost 40 years? How does it look so good?

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Olive oil feels tacky for a while when I have oiled a wooden cutting board with it.
    I use lemon oil, my nicest looking rosewood neck has a coat of tru oil on it and has not needed recoating since applying it. I had ebonized it and it failed starting to come off over a years use so I had to re ebonize it then seal it with tru oil. I wouldn't do that with a normal rosewood neck though unless you had to seal it for some reason.

Baby oil may work well? It's cheap too or you could just get it for free by rubbing your neck on a stripper.

Kriticaster and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Look, it's not crazy rocket science. Woods that you don't want to dry out, and are unpainted, need a little bit of oil once in a while. I have unfinished butcher block counters in my kitchen (maple fwiw) and about once a month they need a wipedown with mineral oil. Most every product out there to condition fretboards is mineral oil + a few little odds and ends which are not needed. Guitar Honey, yadda yadda, whatever - it's mineral oil + some silliness. Rosewood is an exceptionally oily and hard wood that needs a lot less care than a butcher block. It most definitely does not need a monthly application of anything, and definitely not olive / peanut / corn oil. Get a bottle of mineral oil from Home depot for about $5, apply it once a year, and you'll be just fine.

14. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

I've used baby oil for decades. Can't even remember who told me to use it. Seems to work just fine.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. lightningflash

lightningflash Tele-Meister

Yep, mineral oil.

16. Chunkocaster

Do you buy it or rub your necks on strippers?

17. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Tell the truth, is it Rachael Rays favorite, EVO?

It's your guitar, you can do what you want. Just don't call it an upgrade if you ever sell it.

There was a time when Martin recommended 3 in 1 oil for rosewood fingerboards.

NothingGoatboat likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Thinner oils work better than thicker oils and tend to feel less sticky.
    It's nice to have a scented oil too which is why lemon oil is so popular.
    It's also cheap and a bottle lasts a decade or more.

Or you could just get a maple neck and not need to do anything to it to make it look good.:)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    BuckSatan and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  19. asnarski

asnarski TDPRI Member

FDA food grade butcher block oil. Found a small glass bottle of it in a little general store in Tenn. Clear no smell, never sticky and oily. Feeds wood with little or no darkening and lasts me about 2 yrs. Love it cuz of no oder etc.

20. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

I'll try baby oil next time.
    Maybe I can rub my guitar neck on a stripper lol

Kriticaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.