Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"The tape, don't forget the tape..."

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by CraigB, Mar 19, 2017.

1. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2009
    Central Coast of CA
    Well, here's a silly mistake I've not made before. I just realized that after rolling out the glue on a neck blank and fingerboard, I forgot to pull the darn tape up before clamping. Anybody here done that before? I'm thinking I'm just going to leave it instead of trying to pull them apart. It's been clamped up for over an hour. Good or bad plan? I welcome your advice!

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    I have seen others leave the tape in there on purpose. I expect you will be ok. Some famous person will play that guitar and when it gets dissected they will think it's all due to that "tone-tape". That tape will be everywhere after that, coating the tuners, the control knobs, the saddles, and more. ;);)

Most of the double-acting truss rods have shrink wrap on them while I have used the PRS trick of dipping the truss rod in wax to keep the glue from sticking to it, plus it lubricates the threads.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    It'll be fine.

CraigB likes this.

4. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I wouldn't worry Craig , it will be fine

CraigB likes this.

5. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I always intend to pull the tape, but I end up leaving it on accident about every third or fourth build. Hasn't done any harm on any of the ones where it got left (and that's been a good few!)

CraigB likes this.

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yes, it's a tone enhancer.... Can we talk about tone tape instead of tone wood??:)

CraigB and MoMo_the_Peach like this.

7. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Granby Qc. Canada
    Been there done that, it's all good , still the 2 best sounding guitars that I own.

CraigB likes this.

8. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    The tape is called rattle-no like the trem setters in tremol-no :D Don't worry unless it was too wide.

CraigB likes this.

9. ramonet

ramonet TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Barcelona - Spain
    There's no problem at all, don't worry

CraigB likes this.

10. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nov 3, 2010
    Missoula, Montana
    I've done it to - no problems yet. Honestly, I don't even know which ones they are anymore.

CraigB likes this.

11. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Tape? I like tape. It's sticky. I would stick it in my neck without worry.

CraigB likes this.

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Depends on which direction said tape was oriented.

CraigB likes this.

13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Just don't put most typical tapes on nitro and leave it there for more than an hour or so or you'll have tape burns into the nitro.

I found that the hard way with the blue painter tape.

I had masked off the fingerboard to polish the frets with my Dremel, some of the tape naturally went onto the neck finish. It got late, I fell asleep in the middle of the polishing job, woke up several hours later to my horror seeing that tape still on the neck, and yes, as I pulled it off the finish was kinda wrinkled underneath it.

Fortunately I was able to fix 98% of the wrinkles.

I just took a soft terry cloth and some guitar polish and hand buff the damaged neck finish until I could actually feel it getting warm from the constant buffing friction.

A few sessions of that fixed most all of the damage, but it could've been much worse.

Anyhow, just a public nitro finish safety message.

Continue on men......

14. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

"And the ladies treat me kindly
    And furnish me with tape."

15. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    The problem can happen immediately if the Dremel buff is allowed to heat up the tape or the lacquer underneath (don't ask me how I know that). The fret shields are good insurance against that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.