Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The stripped Bullet Strat truss nut - NOT!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rob DiStefano, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    Most of the Bullet Strat necks that I thought had stripped truss nuts are really just fine!

The nut itself is kinda weird - the first 3/4's of the nut is a round hole, the last 1/4 does have a female hex shape that requires a 4.5mm hex key, NOT the supplied 4.78mm hex key!

2. thaus

thaus Tele-Holic

Jul 8, 2007
    Canada
    Did you disassemble one completely Rob to find this out? Good to know though but so far, my lovely pink bullet doesn't need any truss tweaking!

3. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    Wasn't my doing - a customer discovered incorrect hex key. :cool:

4. JKSteger

JKSteger Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    Great news. I know back when I bought mine when that big thread on the Bullets was going on. I said my wasn't stripped and it was a little bit of a shocker. However, I threw my hex key somewhere and couldn't find the supplied one so I just dug into my keys until I found one that fit, not even knowing what the correct size was supposed to be.

This is great to know. I wonder how many great "ebay deals" happened because of the "stripped truss rod"!

Jeremy

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks, Rob.

I'll pass the word along.

6. Kid Klash

Kid Klash Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2007
    PDX
    Yup. Probably why I didn't have a problem with either of my two SB Strat truss rod nuts. :cool:

7. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

Oct 5, 2008
    nashville
    Dredging this thread back because hopefully Rob or someone can help. I've got a Tele Deluxe with bullet truss rod adjustment. Since the neck was pretty flat and the bass string was buzzing, I tried to put some relief in it. I loosened the rod to the point where the tension gave out. No relief. At that point, the bullet tip began to loosen and would have eventually come off with further turning. What gives? Can you get relief in the neck with these bullets? Do you need to adjust from the other end of the neck, or is there something wrong with mine?

8. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    I feel yer pain, rextasy. For a variety of known reasons, some necks just won't allow relief, even with the truss nut totally disengaged and the guitar strung up with 13's.

Usually, the only approachable remedy is to pretension the neck by slacking off or removing the strings, block up the body and headstock, pull down or weight the neck midway between the headstock and body.

Make SURE to loosen the truss nut LOTS before applying neck bow tension.

I have a special work table that allows for the guitar blocking and 2" nylon locking strap to pull down and bow the neck. You want to see a goodly amount of bow happening to the neck. Doing this in a very warm room, or warming the neck with a hair dryer or heat gun can help - sometimes quite a bit. Leave it strung up or weighted overnight. String up to concert pitch the next day and see if there's some relief. If not, or not enuf, redo the process for a much longer period of time - even days. This fix has almost always worked for me, 'specially with large, fatback, baseball bat necks that are either straight or up-bowed. If the weighting method doesn't work, unleveling the neck - adding relief by abrading the frets, as in performing an "UNlevel and crown" is in order ... I've had to resort to that perhaps twice in many decades.

9. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

Oct 5, 2008
    nashville
    Thanks!

10. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    I should've added - make SURE to loosen the truss nut LOTS before applying neck bow tension.

11. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

Oct 5, 2008
    nashville
    I finally read about the Fender "standard" truss rod that can't provide relief.

Yeah, you have to get that hex wrench down in there to make sure and engage the hex hole.

12. sreas2

sreas2 TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2010
    australia
    why are bullets so cheap i gotta get my hands on one just for modding

13. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    eastern n.c.
    How about that....?

A handy ZOMBIE thread....:D

14. stoneyzoni

stoneyzoni TDPRI Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    I found the same hex key dilema in an acoustic Washburn. Sure glad that was the problem.

BTW, I bought a new double fat hardtail bullet from GC that was made in Indonesia. It looks like they had a special run made just for them. Black, Olympic White and Candy Apple (mine). I love it! And it's routed for a single in the middle if you wanted to change things up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.