The strangest place where you came up with the idea for a song.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

How does one explain inspiration? Ideas for songs just happen and often in the most unlikely situations. I was reading an interview with Phil Everly and he talked about the influence early rockers like Bo Diddley and Fats Domino had on their music. I was distracted for a moment and as my eyes went back to the mag I was reading I caught a few words from two different lines "Return" and "Blueberry Hill"

Which prompted the idea of writing a song called "The Return to Blueberry Hill" which is about a couple on the verge of breaking up since all they do is fight. They have long since lost the thrill which got them together in the first place, so they vow to return to Blueberry Hill to find the thrill again.

But by far the weirdest place I have been where inspiration struck me was at an Argentine steak restaurant called "Carnal" where on the place mat the definition of the word was explained and how in street language, the word for a very attractive woman is "Carnalita"

It was when reading that word when the full lyrics of the chorus of a song suddenly appeared in my head, so as I was eating my spare ribs, I got out a pen and wrote the whole thing down on a napkin. After I got home, I wasted no time recording the song and here it is.

So what's the weirdest place where you wrote a song, tell us all about it and let us hear it.

Skamania likes this.
  2. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

All my songs originate in the same strange place - inside my own head. And believe me, it IS strange in there. :D
    A few of my songs were written based on little pieces of random conversations I heard while in work. I'd hear a sentence, or part of a sentence, and of course what I heard was out of context because I only heard part of it. From there, it's easy to just imagine what they were talking about, and invent a story based on that. It works even better when you don't know the people, because your story won't be influenced by any actual personal knowledge.
    Edited to say I don't have access to any recordings of my songs at the moment.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I don't write songs, but I write a lot of code.

I usually figure out programming issues in the car; I will be on the highway going somewhere, and it will just come to me. I either call someone or pull over and send myself an Email.

Driving seems to help me through blocks for some reason.

Skamania and Pualee like this.
  4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Sounds like you were heavily influenced by Green Day while you were writing the music to that first song.

5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Similar, except I don't usually pull over! ... or send an email while driving :D

I also learned that going for a short walk outside the building helps.

Or talking to someone. But I don't like talking to most of my teammates. Strangely, talking to myself and imagining I am explaining it to someone helps helps equally as having a real person there.

So I regularly wander outside the building and talk to myself a lot. People think I am strange... but I solve problems :)

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  6. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No really strange places. It's usually while I'm noodling, or driving in the car over long distances. I usually work out the rhythm for chorus and refrain, then fill in the rest. Lyrics tend to come during that. The rythm reveals the theme, the theme drives the lyrics. Not very original, I guess.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My friend Dave and I went on a road trip to visit our friend Mark in Las Vegas. We were all high school friends and hadn't seen each other for a while. Anyway, Mark and his wife had a small place and Dave and I were crashing in sleeping bags on the living room floor. We'd woken up and I was messing around with a guitar and Dave looked over at me and said, "Hey! Write a song about fat people smothering the world!" I stopped playing for a minute and I started playing something in Em with the lyrics,

"They're getting bigger
    They're getting bigger
    They're getting bigger all the time
    They're getting bigger
    They're getting bigger
    And those fat people gonna
    smother the world!"

And it goes on to talk about trying to hide in a health spa and a couple of famous fat people taking out a Safeway store. Sorry, no recordings, but I really need to remedy that even though it's not a PC song.

Songs can come from anywhere. I did manage to hear one in a dream and was able to wake up and transcribe it.

8. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

In a South Korean brothel. The song: I Wanna Hopshida All Night, and Party Every Day

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, I got it from Tubeway Army's "Are friends electric?" The "I hate to ask" opener of my song came directly from the "I hate to ask but are friends electric?" line from that song and with my solos I tried to emulate the Synth glissando lines.

But after somebody told me about Green day's "Geek stink breath" I looked it up and went "yeah it's similar to that too."

I wouldn't be surprised if Billy got "Geek Stink breath" the same way, by making a rocking version of "Are friends electric?"

I wear my influences on my sleeve.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Me too.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Strangest place? My buhrain.

12. straightlbues

straightlbues TDPRI Member

Sitting in church the other day. I pulled out my phone and just started writing right there. Got almost the whole thing written in an hour.

13. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I drove a friend to his house. His girlfriend came storming out, opened the driver door (blocking my escape) and they began arguing. Tried to excuse myself several times but the yelling just got louder. Didn't know what to do, so I just stared ahead. They yelled and swore what would be an awesome set of country songs. They got meaner and more vicious and eventually broke up with me not being able to escape.

"To Say You Were A Mistake Is An Understatement "

"I'm Not Desperate Enough To Keep You, He's Not Desperate Enough To Take You."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  14. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

One morning in the Spring of '78 while I was in college I was sitting at a picture window in the great hall of a castle I lived in on the peak of mountain. We were about two weeks into the Spring round of fog. Every Spring for several weeks the clouds actually descended onto the mountain and enshrouded the mountain and campus. We are talking thick, impenetrable fog, present all day and night. Outside, you were lucky if you could see six feet in the fog. The figures of others walking to and fro came and went like ghosts. If you opened an East and West window in the castle and allowed the wind to drive through, the fog would also roll through like a mysterious presence from a horror movie. Everything outdoors was covered with dew. The fog also clamped down on sound, leaving your two most present senses encased in cotton and your consciousness trapped in a small sphere around you. The sensory entombment gave rise to an interesting, pervasive melancholy students called "castle-itis." Seniors had usually come to grips with it but first-year students would be caught in its grips and wonder mournfully why they were depressed.

But those who had come to grips with the melancholy could find it an enchanting, quiet, calm mood when they examined themselves. So there I sat, feeling the melancholy again for the third year, recognizing and sort of surfing it. It occurred to me that Joe Walsh and his band Barnstorm had written an instrumental piece called "Midnight Moodies" and put it out on their 1973 album, The Smoker You Drink the Player You Get. That song reached towards the feelings of castle-itis but didn't quite arrive there. Right then and there, without a guitar in my hands, I decided to write my own instrumental piece to try and capture the melancholy of Castle-itis. I wrote most of it before I went up to my room and finished it off. Six weeks later the band I was with debuted the song at a concert for the first time and two years later I recorded a demo. It's been a favorite ever since.

Bob

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  15. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Dat would be da butt, Bob.

16. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Thread was started almost 12 hours ago and I’m the first to admit that more than one of my ideas have come to me on the toilet

Nightclub Dwight and Shuster like this.
  17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I once had an idea for a song while I was fighting a forest fire through the night on the west coast of Vancouver Island. By the time the fire was contained, I had a couple of verses and a chorus all worked out. Fighting fire can be a curiously calm activity that allows your brain to wander.

drf64, Nightclub Dwight and aerhed like this.
  18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I the growler my friend, where we do our best thinking!!

19. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I know it's cliche, but I actually wrote one called Blue Knight Blues while I spent a weekend in jail (too many driving points). My partner and I gigged it for a good seven years. Then he moved Up North and told everyone it was his. Nice huh?

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  20. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Back in the day, before they were eliminated, we used to have pay toilets. You put in a dime, and it unlocked the door so you could go in & do whatever. I always snuck under the door to avoid having to pay, and I wrote my "Pay Toilet Blues" which was a pretty big hit among our circle of friends & was always requested when we played.
    The best song I ever wrote was in the dentist chair, while under the nitrous oxide, but did NOT remember it after I got out of the office.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.