Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The story of Fulltone OCD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Fred Rogers, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island

2. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    I've owned 1.4 and I thought it was a little too fizzy. I currently own 1.7 and 2.0 and out of the two I prefer 1.7 by a hair.

3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks for the cool video. I used to have v 1.4. I definitely like v 1.1 and 1.2 the best. Nothing really after that.

Chiogtr4x likes this.

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Never had an older version , I have owned several v1.4-7.
    All sounded good to me and similar.
    I got the v2 this year and it also sounds great a little smoother and more "open" IMO and it's cool to have the option of true bypass vs enhanced bypass.

I certainly wouldn't pay big $ for a V1 or V2.

It was interesting how much variation there was as far as getting the volume about the same, I've run into that on the few that I've owned , sounded similar but the values / taper of the pots must make a difference because at the same knob settings they were different levels.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I watched the video, liked it fine, and this is me just BS'ing, making conversation:

I could hear ' shading differences' between the various OCD versions ( once again, hearing this on my phone) , they all sounded similar to me...same character of the actual ' grind' or Distortion produced- am I wrong here?

A bit disappointed that no lead guitar was played

Which 2 versions in your opinions are the two most different, furthest apart from each other?
    Was the demo done with switch in HP mode?
    Did ALL the 1.1 versions have white knobs like in the video?

" note: The closest I came to owning an OCD was with the Dano Cool Cat Drive V.1 which TDPRI's own 11 GAUGE described as having features/sound of the first 3-4 OCD's and set in HP mode..
    I liked it- it was a little more ' hard rocking' than what I like I guess, but actually had really good guitar volume knob clean up, wish I kept it, gave it another shot...
    Thanks for any comments!

Edit: based on the video demo, I can't put my finger on why, but I kind of liked the 1.1 and 1.2 the best

Staypuft1652 likes this.

6. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I had the Dano CC V1 and it was a good sounding pedal, but didn't have the LP mode and the knobs were goofy.
    Also the JOYO Ultimate OD is supposed to be an OCD clone, anyone remember the Freekish Blues Alpha Drive deal a few years ago?
    I think I tried one of the Mooer mini pedals that is supposed to be an OCD clone, both were ok but not as good as the real thing IMO.

Other than the early versions you can get used OCDs pretty cheap, and even the newest versions ( I got a "blem" V2 , very tiny paint blemish, $95 new)
    Fulltone stuff is very well made, so it's worth it to me to get the real deal, IMO the mini clones are pretty much disposable if something goes wrong down the road.

IMO it's really hard to tell a lot from a video especially through a computer / tablet / phone speakers or headphones.

I've owned about 5 different OCD pedals and they all sounded pretty similar

Chiogtr4x likes this.

7. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I know this is an OCD thread, but the damn ergonomic ( NOT!) design of the Dano Cool Cat pedals ( I owned both the ' OCD' V1 Drive and 'Timmy' TOD ) was just a deal breaker for me, and I sold them, as I just did not like them at gigs, just at home, because of the Control layout...

It was the forward facing teeny Control knobs, the top-mounted jacks, and a hard footswitch. UGGHHHH!!!
    They sounded very good.

I did find that with the TOD, even though it had less Gain on tap than the Drive-it was not dynamic, the drive level stayed the same when turning guitar volume down. Still, good OD
    The Dano Drive ('OCD'), even though it had more crunch/Distortion from what I remember, did cleanup nicely with guitar Volume knob, and was touch sensitive

Assuming an OCD is the same? ( never played one)

8. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    OCD seems dynamic to me, cleans up well with my Strat and Tele.

Chiogtr4x likes this.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I never really bonded with the OCD. Then again, I'm usually disappointed with dirt pedals because I somehow buy into the hype.
    I'm going to listen to Tim Pierce's advice that gear doesn't matter; "don't let your quest for tone get in the way of making music". Basically he says to find a couple of dirt pedals that work and find tones you like using those. Get off the train that chases gear.
    I recently got a KoT after my 18 month wait. After the initial honeymoon, I'm kind of ambivalent about it although I do think that the note definition is great with it. But I can get similar tones from a Snouse Blackbox 2 or a Timmy.
    So, to me the OCD is just another pedal.

10. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    I owned an OCD a while back.
    i'd read that using the 18v supply would change the drive character. Since I had a power supply with 18v, I gave it a try. It really does smooth it out some!

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Just opened mine up and I have version 1.4, made in 2007, serial 20437. Always liked the drive character from the OCD. Between it, my bk butler tube driver, triangle-era muff, and tonebender MkII, I have no desire or need for any other drive pedals. As it is now, I tend to get most or all of my over drive tone from my amps.

12. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    That video is more like a shootout than a history. Good though. I fundamentally love playing the OCD live but its not a perfect circuit. I built one from a kit and I had to add an output buffer. I think the volume pot could be lower, 500k is too much. Also the pedal feels like it can go high gain but it doesn't really.

Chiogtr4x likes this.

13. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Interesting comments, I know nothing about pedal design/circuitry ( just don't have an electronics-minded mind) but I do have a good ear and have always been pretty good at taking the time ( follow my ears...) to get good sound out of what I have
    Question ( not from a design point, but from an ' ear perspective')
    What does you mean when you say" The volume pot could be lower, 500K is too much" ? For me a Volume come is a knob that lowers or raises Volume- what does the 500K vs. another value mean?
    - Don't be afraid to get a little circuit wonky ( I can take small doses) but if you can explain the difference in sound?
    Thanks!

14. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Enjoyed the video.

I just opened mine up to look. No version number. But it says it's serial # 14720 and has the date 9-07. It also has a hand-written "RICO" in the center under the foot switch. So by the date I guess it's an early one - has black knobs and a blue light. I like it well enough. Like that it's touch-sensitive and doesn't have a mid hump. I like it better than my Keely modded TS-9 which I sold. But I haven't used the OCD or any other drive pedal in years, not since I started using an attenuator/reamp system.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    This page shows version by serial number. Also some pcb's have the version in small letters. On that page, versions 2, 3, 4 mean 1.2, 1.3, 1.4. The newest model with the new bypass is 2.0.
    http://www.tonestart.com/fulltone-ocd-versions/

Chicago Matt likes this.

16. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    I think most of the issues are addressed in the latest model, output buffer etc. The general idea is that less is more. At full volume, the pot is fully resisting the path to ground and so its value doesn't really have an effect. But if the pot is at 10 o clock or something most of a 500k pot would be involved in the circuit when it didn't have to be, this affects impedance and tone. BUT if you have an output buffer anyway None of this matters, I think.....

Chiogtr4x likes this.

17. Chiogtr4x

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Got it ( I think!) Thanks!

If I ever get some $$ again ( at least ' pedal $$') I should check out an OCD some day-spend some quality time with one...
    Does anyone ever use one of these in the LP mode? It just sounds like most folks go for HP- noticable difference?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.