Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Squier 51's back

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Skrik, Oct 10, 2013.

1. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    Normaly I really don't care either about finish and as I said in my post, I could easily adress all these issues, even refinish the body, refret the neck to different speced frets ir just level, bevel, crown, polish etc. I do have a fully functional control plate with the switch and p/p in a drawer.

I actually do repair work on guitars on a weekly basis so it is not that I can't resolve any of the quality issues.
    My problem is that I don't want to pay 279 € for a defect and poorly assembled guitar. It is way overpriced. Or my problem is that I expected way too much.

I also made my review aimed at those whom may not be able to perform this kind of work on their guitars. I might have gotten the only really bad one out of thousands but I wanted to share my impressions. IME this particular guitar is not worth the money. Its going back, Thomann pays the return freight and they even reimburse me. Very good policy.

I got burned on this one, emotionally, and if I will buy another which I doubt at the moment, I'll pick one first hand and try it first.

2. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    And yes it is dry here now which affect things. that is one side if the problem which gets worse since the fret ends are cut very sharp an none what so ever dressing of the fret ends. It is not only the tangs but the beveled part of the frets that are very sharp.

3. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    Yep I am in Sweden. Thanks! :)

4. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2011
    Slovenia
    Hey! I just tried out my Vintage Blond Squier 51 at the store that I had ordered for me. I live in Slovenia and when I went to the store to check out the guitar, I was all nervous after reading the good Dr's disappointing review.

As the sales person unboxed it, I was holding my breath....

Well, the good news is that she's a beauty!

The neck is very nice and while not as rolled edges as my 2000 Am Series tele and strat neck, it's definitely comfortable for the price. The finish on the neck feels as if it will smooth out nicely with wear. The electronics worked smoothly and it is solidly built. The neck pocket is tight. (These are all the things I looked at based on the previous review.

When I first strummed the strings, it was very close to being in tune straight out of the box.

The body's paint on the back is a little thin with grain showing like the Dr's, but for me it's more than acceptable.

I plugged it in to a Blackstar amp and gave it a little run. There are no dead notes and after some heavy bending, the guitar was still in tune (I will see if a set of 90's tuners will fit). The action was low. The hardware seemed pretty solid and the push pull pot worked well.

The pickups sound ok... the one thing that is off is that the neck pup is tilted backwards for some reason. This is not a problem as I have already ordered a new pickup combo from D.Allen to install.

All in all, first impression is very good. When I get the guitar home, I will take some pictures.

Just to let you know, I am referencing this guitar against my 1991/2000 American Series Strat and my 2004 American Series Tele... both with D.Allen pickups For the money, compared to them, the 51 is a great deal!

5. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    Congratulations! Glad it turned out to be a GOOD NGD.

6. Herod

Herod Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    Central Florida
    I bought a Fender 51' Pawn because if the neck.....loved the feel almost immediately when I picked it up. I can see how some folks expecting it to be a reissue of the Squier 51' would be let down though....completely different ballparks. I've also personally grown to like the p/u selector (although sometimes I miss having a tone control on this guitar). In any case, glad to see the S51 back.....the low price makes them perfect base for mods.....

7. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    Congrats! Very happy for you :) I had a really bad one that should have not left the factory. Really good to hear there are good ones out there.

8. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    I foresee a brisk trade in Squire '51s rebadged as Fender '51s...

9. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    Possibly but the Fender version is substantially better. A different animal. The controlplate is smaller and the body thicker. But if you have not seen or handled the Fender I guess you could be tricked

10. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2011
    Slovenia

11. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2004
    Seoul, Korea

everyone mocked those Pawn Shop jobbies when they came out (WHY WOULD I PAY THAT MUCH FOR A 51?!?!?!?! was pretty much the reaction here) But I will tell you why you might: Those MIJ Pawn Shop suckas had GLORIOUS fit and finish. I loved my 51s but I am not deluded about the quality of the materials and workpersonship that went into them. I played a bunch of the those Pawn Shop MIJ guitars and they were stunning. Just gorgeous guitars. The finish and tint on the necks were perfect. The dot markers were in the right place (haha). The neck pocket and was perfect, the hardware and pg was better. The '51s had charm and a nice neck shape and a surprisingly good p/up set but they were nowhere near as clean or robust as the MIJ Pawns. Still I dig the skwire '51 and really want one again.

12. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    Now this makes me want a guitar with dots in the wrong places. I would call it a Dotcaster and I would play it out all the time for all to see.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Agreed the Fender '51 is a quality guitar, but I just didn't think it was worth the asking price, which was around $800 street. The main thing that immediately disappointed me when I played one was that the neck was pretty much a generic Fender Tele neck, not the chunky profile of the Squier neck, which IMHO is the best feature of the S-51. Had they used the same profile neck as the original and just finished the frets better, smoothed out/Tadeo'ed the HS edges and finished with a vintage tint, I'll bet it would have sold much better.

14. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    oh, to have had an extra $800 sitting around.

I agree. The Squier profile with the tint and finish of the MIJ would have been heavenly. The Fender 51 was more generic C shape.

The MIJ pawns I played all made me feel like a kid in a music store 40 years ago. Everything was so new looking like a brand new car off the line. Lovely stuff. So new and shiny and flawless.

15. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    The neck on the new VM 51 is all but chunkey. At least the one I had and returned. I was too upset about the quality issues to take any measurements but someone that has h new VM 51 might maybe take measurements?

16. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2011
    Slovenia
    I have no idea how to take a measurement, but it is very similar in feel and size to my 2000 American Series necks on my Strat and tele. The frets are a little smaller I think, but definitely not vintage.. I don't like vintage ;)

17. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2003
    Maine
    This thread is making me think about getting one of the new 51s (despite drvoodoo's experience with a lemon). The pics that have been posted don't give me a good representation of the blonde color. Is it a white-blonde like the CV Tele or is it more of the "Banana Cream Pie" color of the 1st run 51's?

The Banana finish with the 1st run is what kept me from getting one the first time around. Now with the blonde and the CAR, I'm tempted.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's what I see from afar so far:

1) Neck may not be Old '51 thick but more the usual Squier thickness;

2) Frets are the same old wire all the Corteks get (even G + L Tributes);

3) Colors will be better, the necks will be toned this time;

4) String through bridge and body are the Major structural changes;

5) Pickup "recipe" may have been lost; this new set may not have the magic the originals did. Although there were a lot of people who disrespected the stock pickups at the time (to some degree because "they could"); and

6) There will be good and bad ones, like there always was.

I thought this reintroduction would revive the Squier '51 craze but if the necks are Standard thickness and the pickups are bleah, this new run could water down the memory of the old ones and make the whole thing sort of fade away.

19. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2011
    Slovenia
    Let me tell you... I FREAKING love this guitar. The color is more of a white blonde and I don't know what the original 51 neck was like, but this neck is certainly NOT thin.

Since only myself and Drvoodoo have posted reviews, you have a 50 50 chance. However, my guitar is really nicely built. I am comparing it to my other guitars (Gibsons and American Fenders) and I've been playing over 20 years. I am IMPRESSED with the feel of this guitar and see it as a definite back up (main guitar in some cases) to my Am Series Strat with a HB. You NEED to check it out in the store if you can and are interested in buying one.

this picture is a good representation.

[​IMG]

As for the pickups. I think they are good.. I just like to have DAllen pups in my guitars. You may very well like them.

Highly Recommend you look at one.. every time I pick it up I like it more!

A

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.