Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Squier 51's back

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Skrik, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Dec 10, 2007
    Greetings from Sunny New Jersey
    Dr, what is the country of origin?

2. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen

3. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    Same as the VM jag and VW mustang I have. Also Indonesia.

One thing that actually is good is the shielding. Not very much hum from the pu once it vegan to work

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Really surprised it took this long to re-issue them...

5. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2007
    Spartanburg,S.C.
    Really disappointed to hear of the quality issues Dr V. I hope it is not the case with them all. I seem to remember similar issues with the originals too but thankfully it was not all of them.

6. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Mine is due on Monday, so we'll see. I don't have anywhere near the experience to do the troubleshooting Drvoodoo did, so any issues will be very apparent. Now I'm nervous and before I was really excited...

7. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I think definitely a hands on purchase, unless you don't mind doing the return thing some vendors have. But does that cost you the shipping on the return? Expensive rental. ;)

8. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    Return shipping of defect things are free at Thomann. DHL usually even pick em up at home at a time of your choice. Can not get on hands on yet in my neck of the woods

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Is it defective is it just is crap? Seen American Strats & Teles for a lot more coin just plain suk!

So I guess I should have asked under a 30 day satisfaction money back thing if you have to pay shipping back. Almost certainly yes. And how do you get around it no getting insured because technically is is not a new approved shipping box etc etc.

Just ruining the party, sorry... :oops:

10. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    It is defective that's for sure.

Sending things that are defective back to Thomann is not a problem. Free of charge. Really good service. If I just want my money back for other reasons I need to pay for the return. But yes, the guitar is defective and just don't built well and not finished well. The material such as tuners, bridge, wood is good. The craftmanship not so much. The pot might have been overheated when soldered.

11. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    I actually PREFER a top-loader, but I hate to say that too loudly around here...:)

12. ValveFan

ValveFan Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2012
    North Idaho
    Damn. How is the original '51 that's been sitting in my closet going to be worth anything now? ;-)
    As to the original bridge design, for me there was not enough downward pressure. The low E in particular was rattly. I think it's because of the way the strings pull up at the back of the saddles. I did the Bubba mod to mine with some Duo-Sonic T-saddles. Much better sound.

13. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2008
    Norway
    Hmm... Thinking the way to go to avoid quality control issues is a Warmoth body with a 51 neck. I can even bung a middle pickup in there, while I'm at it.

14. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Or just get/make a hardtail Strat :D

15. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    If it IS the same neck as the original, it's almost worth buying just for that IMO.

After my '52 AVRI, this is my favorite Tele... a well-played-in Squier '51 neck with bone nut, dressed frets & Gotoh vintage tuners (& Fender decal I put on), married to CV50 VB body with stock HB pup, Twisted Tele neck pup, and 4-way Fender switch :D

[​IMG]

16. drvoodoo

drvoodoo Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2011
    Ekedalen
    The neck on mine has a matte finish, very sharp fret ends and is definetly not worth to buy the guitar in order to just keep the neck. I don't have an original issue to compare but I can't see that the neck on mine is the much praised one from the original series.

17. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    The original necks have a very thin satin finish, almost seems like bare wood. However the one on my Tele above is now a very slick thin gloss on the back from years of playing. Frets were pretty good from the beginning on both my original S-'51s, but an inexpensive dressing by a local tech really did improve it. Fairly chunky necks with a lot of chunk near the nut. Mine is like a boat neck, with a soft V from nut to about fret 5.

If there are a lot of problems with these, maybe they'll be blown out in a year for $99 as well? :D

BTW, are you in a dry climate? Or it may have come from a dry climate... few years ago I bought a guitar that came from a warehouse in Las Vegas (very hot/dry climate) and it had MASSIVE fret sprout. After about a week here at the beach (almost constant 40-60& humidity), it had resolved itself and was fine.

18. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    See what happens when they make the neck with green wood. ;)
    When it drys out the fret stay the same size and the wood does not. At some point they will figure a way to make frets that shrink with the wood. :D:D

19. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    Stew Mac makes a most excellent file 3-corner file for this specific issues. You can dress the "mushroom ends." in quick order. I bought the smallest one, and have used it on my cheap Affinity when this happened, but also on my $2,400 Taylor when this happened on a few of the frets (if you move it from climate to climate too much, which is unavoicalb when you tour, it can happen, it is not neccessarily because of the green wood issue):

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Frettin...es.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=531&tab=Details

20. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2012
    Vancouver
    Me too, kinda. I like the string feel on my musicmaster a lot, so I top load my unwound strings on my CVC (with Wilkinson bridge). I use a wound third and I think this combo works well. It seems to lessen the transition to wound from plain. All subjective of course.

I really posted to address the 51 reissue quality issues. I do not think any of DrVooDoo's complaints would bother me. I do not give the tiniest hoot about a guitar's finish. Although I agree a factory finish should be flawless, I would fix it with sandpaper before I sent it back. Similarly, the other issues would allow me to bond with the guitar as I fix each issue in turn. I have never had a guitar that didn't need work when I got it. I don't feel ripped off by that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.