Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Silverface Bassman

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by justin.ramsey, Dec 6, 2017.

1. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Northern, KY
    Just picked up my second silverface bassman. My first one has been serviced and a few small mods done to the tone stack. Both are 1971-1973 models. It is interesting to note that there are several circuit differences between them. The newest one had small caps on V1A and V2A plate resistors which my old one did not, also the phase inverter on the new one had completely different resistor values.

I basically have taken the new one and backdated it to resemble more of a Blackface model also changed the tone coupling caps on the bass channel to 0.022 mallorys.

In my opinion these amps are the unsung heroes of the vintage amp world. Picked my first one up for 475 and the newest one for 425. Hard to beat that for 50 watt all tube amp with serious iron.

RedRock, dented, Flaneur and 2 others like this.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    One's probably the AA schemo and the other the AB. The small caps are oscillation suppressors which were added across the board in the SF era. Some believe they affect 'sparkle'. You're probably safe to pull them especially if lead dress is OK.

Be careful removing them, the feedback may be ultrasonic so it's worth checking current draw. I had a Laney AOR I was working on that would 'run away' due to a bad preamp tube. Inaudible except for a high pitched whine, but drew over a hunndred milliamps, melted EL34 grids, but good!

The different phase inverter bias resistor values were an attempt to better-balance the PI and increase headroom but again, many people don't regard them an improvement.

robrob likes this.

3. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Northern, KY
    I've removed them and gave it a test tonight and so far everything's good. Power tubes were biased really cold so I heated it up a bit and it sounds great.

Had to order the power filter caps but no noise from them. One does have a bit of a bulge started so they are all getting replaced.

4. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Yup - Bassmans are still dirt cheap - where else are you gonna get a two channel hand wired 50ish watt amp for $400-600?

RedRock and Flaneur like this.

5. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Yeah it's really nuts picked one up the other day for $375. With sylvania 6l6gcs and nos rca pre amp tubes. Duh.

6. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Yeah it's really nuts picked one up the other day for $375. With sylvania 6l6gcs and nos rca pre amp tubes. Duh.

Flaneur and corliss1 like this.

7. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I've got the super bassman (100w) here that belongs to a keyboard friend. Its his backup to a twin and is original but rough and needs some work. Just for his info, what do you guys think it's worth?

8. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Rough and needing work? Depends on how rough and how much work. Really hard to say. Working ready to go ones are 450-600 right now.

9. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Northern, KY
    Finished up all the service work on my new one tonight. These are just killer amps. Plug in a tele and the result is twangy toney goodness

10. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    OP are you running these Bassman amps to breakup volume? Or thick cleans? At what volume does the amp’s bottom end come alive and thicken up?

11. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Northern, KY
    I like to run then to just when they start to breakup which is around 4. They sound pretty thick by 3

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The AA371 had suppressor caps on the power tubes. By V1A and V2A, I am assuming you mean the input gain stage for the Bass channel..V1...and the summing tube..V2. If so, I have not seen caps on those tubes and it is not shown open the schematic for the AA371...iirc.

13. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I sold a '73 Bassman 50 earlier this year. It was the last of my silverface amps left in the stable. It was a great amp!

If I ever moved back towards the 'modern' Fender amps, a Bassman would be very high on the list!

14. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    I'm having a hard time letting go of mine. Not because nobody wants it, but because every time I play it, I fall in love with it all over again! The prettiest cleans I ever heard, nice and warm with plenty of top end sparkle! How did you do it, Axis29??
    The contender is a very nice 5E3...

Flaneur likes this.

15. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    These are great amps, you could not ask for a better stock 50 watt tube amp. They are not for everyone as they do not kick into any tube DRIVE until a fairly healthy volume , but overall, these are great amps. And yes, the early 70's series offered several variants of circuits and schematics, not major changes , just simple design alterations. If these amp heads had factory reverb they would be found on every bandstand from here to Siberia and we would never see one for sale .

RedRock and ellisvertellis like this.

16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    It had been sitting unplayed for months at a time... At the time, I owned a 5e3 and a '63 Vibroverb Ri, but the amp getting the lion's share of gig duty was my '59 Bassman Ri. The '59Ri breaks up a good bit earlier. I literally devolved in my tone hunt form newer to older.

What can I say, I am a Neanderthal!

Funny thing, I sold a '69 Vibrolux Reverb before I gave up the Bassman! And, that Vibrolux Reverb was spectacular! I still espouse every guitar player should own (or at least spend a good amount of time playing through) a Bassman head, as well as a Vibrolux Reverb, a Deluxe, a Twin and the one I've never owned a Super Reverb. I don't think you need to own them all at once, but you should experience them all. Then, you can come over to the dark side and try Brown and Tweed amps! LOL

Flaneur and ellisvertellis like this.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Years ago, when the Rembrandts were a new act, I saw them at the Back Room, circa 1988.
    Phil Solem played a rosewood board 70s Tele into a SF Bassman head into a 1-12 closed back cabinet.
    No pedals, just a (short) cord.
    He killed, they killed.
    The music was just the Danny Wilde, Phil, a great bass player (sorry, dunno who) and great drummer, Paul Mastelotto.
    Simple.
    They impressed me immensely.
    Phil’s guitar playing and sound were exceptional.
    Unforgettable.

18. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    One of my all time favorite tone boxes !
    If I didn't have my 73 Super Reverb I would have a 1968 or older SF Bassman head and a 1x12 cab.
    Why 68 ? in 1969 Fender started using than thin spaghetti like wire on the boards. and I had a few that I had to rewire completely to get rid of noises.

19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    IMG_20160520_185332917.jpg The great undervalued bargain, of the amp world.

RedRock, Axis29 and ellisvertellis like this.

20. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Northern, KY
    Both of mine are 70s models and I see no issues with the "thin" wire. No noise in mine at all

RedRock likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.