The signature Motown guitar tone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by T_red7882, Jan 1, 2008.

1. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

Does anyone know whothe big session player was back in the vintage motown days? I recently heard the song "clumsy" by Fergie, and while i don't particularly love the song, the guitar on the track really nails the motown sound. I've always assumed it was a tele bridge or p90 bridge with the tone rolled back out of a champ or something. Anyhow, i got to listening to some motown stuff and realized how much i love that tone. Anyone have any info on this?

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

There were actually 3 big session players who all played on every track (or nearly every track): Eddie Willis, Joe Messina, and Robert White.

I thought the same thing about that signature tone; so many tracks sound just like a Telecaster at its finest. It turns out that wasn't always the case. Joe Messina did play a Tele a lot (with a Jazzmaster neck), but it was strung with flatwound strings. He also used a Gibson L-5.

In the documentary "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" there's a clip of the band performing "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" and Eddie Willis playing that real trebly, staccato downbeat thing that he did so much, but he's doing it on a Firebird.

The opening riff of "My Girl" sounds an awful lot like a Tele, maybe in the middle position with the pickups out of phase. Guess what? Robert White played that on a big Gibson humbucker archtop, picking with this thumb.

Barry Gordy also infamously tried demanding that his session players use the really fancy Gibsons because he thought they were status symbols. He thought that the Gibson student models and Fenders were not guitars to be used by pros.

I'm not sure what amps they used. My guess is that they used the bigger amps that were available so there would be enough clean headroom. I sure don't hear much tube overdrive on their tracks.

3. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

eryque, thank you for that. I too am a fan of the Funk Brothers' guitar choir. I've often had a mental vision of what the guitar arsenal was, on any given song.

In my dreams, it was always, high to low, Tele, Firebird/Strat, Gibson jazz box. And the positions were:

Front beat, lots of whole notes, whole chords, also 1st position;
    Back beat, usually the Tele, and often in octave position;
    Baritone line, single string work, sometimes in opposition to the bass part, sometimes in Booker T-like concert, witness the Originals' "Why When Love Is Gone" in C or C sharp.

When the Funks (with Babbitt) played Toronto the first time, they used SF Twins through the non-reverb channel and perhaps a JC-120 or even a Yamaha. Sort of pedal steel amps.

The following article talks about the "B" level rare songs:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2002_July_16/ai_89072594

There are about 48 new A-level tunes here, on perhaps B-level singers, but maybe only in promotion.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  4. olewichita

olewichita Friend of Leo's

the snake pit...

the guitars and bass went straight into the board... no amplifiers were used at motown... the three guitar parts of joe messina, robert white and eddie willis were pre-mixed onto one track through a pre-amp and directly injected from there... james jamerson's bass went straight into the 8 track board... even dennis coffey rarely got to use an amp for his wild guitar parts when he joined the funk brothers during the psychedelic era... most motown recordings feature at least three guitar players excluding bass... tj

Attached Files:

5. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

Get, and watch. 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' and learn. Lots. And lots.

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

re straight into the board

I've read that too , that they recorded straight into the board, but the board was an analog tube powered board, must have used some compression too, listen to the guitar on My Girl.
    Can't argue with sucess, they got a great signature tone.
    Definately recommend seeing Standing in the Shadows of Motown, all those guys should have gotten more recognition.

7. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

For me the signature Motown guitar sound was courtesy of Mr. Marv Tarplin, Smokey Robinson's collaborator and the man responsible for those really dreamy, catchy intros to The Miracles' best known songs (ie, 'Tracks Of My Tears'). I think he was a Les Paul Custom man.

8. olewichita

olewichita Friend of Leo's

other than the regulares, white, messina willis and coffey and the aforementioned marv tarplin - wah wah watson and cornelius grant come to mind... grant played a telecaster also... tj

9. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Years ago I saw a much larger, color photo of that weird 5-channel box that is behind the guitar players in olewichita's attached pic. I don't know what it is, some kind of preamp probably, but that's the gizmo that the guitarists all played into on every Motown recording.

10. Roli

Roli Banned

11. kludge

kludge Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that link! I've been working really hard to get the vocals on a track to sound exciting AND be dynamic, and this may just be the trick.

12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

13. KokoTele

Actually, you should buy it. :) My grocery store has been selling it for $10 for the last couple of years.

14. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

On the recommendation of you guys I just watched Standing in the shadows of Motown. All I can say is WOW. Absolutely amazing. All of it.

If you haven't seen it. Get it. See it now.

15. Unseen

Unseen Former Member

I have two dual humbucker guitars, and I sometimes get some tones which resemble tele tones more than you might think possible.

16. KokoTele

Me too :) I always thought that "Drift Away" was the epitome of every aspect of a Telecaster. There are licks in there that sounded just like a Tele in the neck position, in the bridge position, and in the middle. It turns out that Reggie Young played those parts on a Les Paul Deluxe.

17. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Friend of Leo's

+1. The second disc has some fantistic "teaching moments". It's remarkable how well White, Willis, and Messina worked so well together. Like 3 guitars becoming one.

18. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

FWIW - Johnny "Guitar" Watson was a straight into the board guy too.
    I still think that he had THE BEST TONE ON STUDIO RECORDINGS that I've ever heard especially during the "Its A Real Motherforya" period.
    You'd SWEAR it was Tele - but it wasn't!:cool:

19. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Yes, that's the dirty secret about Les Pauls: fiddle with the knobs and you can get a HUGE variety of sounds. :eek:

Of course it means nothing if you don't have a dedicated tambourine player in your band!:twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.