Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Screamers

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by dalandan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2008
    Jamaica
    Who here owns a tube screamer TS808/TS9/TS10 or variant?

It can be a TS-based OD, a son of screamer, or any other derivative of that design. But let's try not to get too philosophical. If it sounds like an 808 ("it's an 808 but better" yadda yadda, we get it.), then post it here!

I have gone through the following:

Digitech Bad Monkey
    Fulltone Full-Drive 2
    Xotic *RC, BB (TS-based but sounds nothing like one)
    *Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer

*still with me

amazingly, these pedals all sound really great. they hit the amp just right. I love my tube screamers!

2. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

May 9, 2010
    Singapore
    I love my Lovepedal(no pun intended) Eternity. Not really a TS-clone but it borrows heavily from the TS circuit topology. I use it to goose my Fulltone Catalyst.

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    I've been using a BBE Green Screamer for years. Like it a lot especially for Blues.

4. ss192

ss192 Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2012
    India
    Digitech Bad Monkey Owner present! love it.

5. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    Keeley TS-9
    Green Rhino(sold it)
    HBE Power Screamer
    Green Screamer(sold it)
    SD-1
    Hardwire CM-2(sold it)
    Keeley Sparkle Drive
    T-Rex ToneBug Overdrive
    Bad Monkey(sold it)

Never noticed this until now, almost everyone I've sold had some sort of bass control knob. Never liked that knob,I need a TS to cut bass when used with a loud cranked amp (reduces the speaker from farting out).

6. andrewsadlon

andrewsadlon Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2012
    DeLand, Florida
    I have a TS9 that I modded true bypass and TS808 spec (chip and 2 resistors). As well as a brighter LED. My go-to lead tone!

"It's ironic- I used to play in my bedroom pretending I'm onstage; now I play onstage and pretend I'm in my bedroom."

7. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 24, 2012
    UK
    A keeley modded 808 and an 83 TS9

and yep, both of them have JRC4558D's in em.. in the case of the TS9, it was originally in there, in the case of the keeley, it was one of the run of pedals with 82 JRC's they found a "special" supply of..

Both great sounding pedals, and for all my scorn of the JRC thing, the other mods do do some quality things to the sound, although I'm not sure id pay new what the distributers are asking over here, I got both these at very low prices

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a joyo vintage overdrive and an Ibanez TS-7 modded to 808 specs. They are hard to distinguish, sonically, but the Ibanez has locking knobs and a hot mode which actually sounds pretty good some times.

9. DonMI6

DonMI6 Tele-Holic

Jan 5, 2012
    Maitland, Australia
    I've got a Way Huge Green Rhino & a Maxon OD9. Something about the Green Rhino just doesn't work for me, but I love the Maxon, in fact my 'board' is in the cupboard & the OD9 is the only pedal I'm using at the moment. I'm Seriously considering the Maxon 808 variant as well.

10. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    I couldn't bond with the Green Rhino either,sold it.

11. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2010
    DC
    Three of 'em!

Ibanez TS9
    Ibanez TS808
    Digitech Hardwire SC-2

12. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Mar 31, 2009
    Toronto
    Funnily enough, I own a Green Rhino and I love it. One of my favourite things is to move the Gain control with my foot, depending on how much gain I need for each song. A very versatile pedal, and a little nudge with the 100 Hz knob goes a long way.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Okay, I'm trying to understand this, so I assume you are asking for ODs that have two amplifiers, soft clipping and basically does not reduce volume? Then the Boss OD-1 should be in here.

(I'm waiting for 11 Gauge to arrive and give me an A or an F)

Here goes!

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I got one of these; hardly use it these days, though.
    [​IMG]

15. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2003
    Manila
    At different times I've had: TS-5, Arion clone, Bad Monkey, TS-808 RI, Maxon OD-808, Visual Sound Route 808 and Double Trouble, Lovepedal E6, Joyo Vintage Overdrive, Mooer Green Mile, BYOC OD-2, Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet 10th Anniv... they are all gone. Also got to try a Keeley TS-9DX Flexi and a Vox Valvetone.

Of all of the above I loved the Maxon the most, and intend to get one again, as soon as I can sell off some of my other gear. That's inspite of already currently having the TS circuitry in my Ibanez TSA15H amp head.

Maxon has a lot of sophisticated TS variants, but I can't wrap my mind around the differences and nuances, and don't have an opportunity to try them all side-by-side. Can someone sort out which is the best among the Maxons? OD-808, OD9, TOD-9, TBO9, OD-9 Pro+, etc.

And how about the Ibanez JD-9? Is it still a "tubescreamer?"

16. nickg21285

nickg21285 Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2010
    Rotherham, UK
    I've been using a Biyang Mad Driver OD-10 for about 4 years and never looked back. I've played pretty much all the Ibanez screamers at some time or another but still come back to the Biyang. I can't see it leaving my board any time soon.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    After trying out(and owning/gigging) many affordable 'Tube Screamers' over a few years time (specifically TS-9, Keeley TS-9, BBE GS, Delta Labs OD, SD-1, MXR Classic Overdrive), I really bonded with the Biyang Mad Driver too!- it just had the right sound for me, also size and control/jack placement. Also dig the different modes...has the JRC4558D chip if this is important to you, $50!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_gciR-6VjE

18. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Yes, some of these are more 'Screamer' than others, but they all will do the job if I need 'em to. And the TS-5, dodgy switch and all, is still my favorite.

[​IMG]

19. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

TS-5 here too, also used to have an Ibanez Super Tube (remember those?) didn't care for that pedal and moved it on some time ago. I actually have 2 TS-5s, one as a backup. Also had a TS-7, good sound but the treadle got loose, so I moved that on as well...

Franc Robert

20. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

count me in, my tubescreamer is the ts5. nothing beats it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.