Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Saga of Wonderboy---a Hero's Journey through time myth and legend.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Newbcaster, Apr 20, 2017.

1. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Actually, Rex be plagiarist.

I saw this pic online a few years ago and saved it to my guitar building folder, in case I ever needed to use the technique. None of the necks I have built to date have needed to employ this method, but with Newb's one-piece build I thought some variation of the idea might work for the truss rod rout.

I hope it helps somebody.

Rex

rscalzi and Newbcaster like this.

2. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    Just a quick update. I am still trying to find a cnc guy to do the fretboard. I have a file done in rhino, but since its my first time undoubtedly there needs to be some work done on it.

Today is working on the tremolo, more pics to come as i get closer later this morning. If I dont like what i have done I can always go floyd/Ibanez lopro7...though that isnt my first choice. It's a matter of craftsmanship.. can I get it 80% of the way there and work on it later? Undoubtedly I will replace the bridge but this is a project of some magnitude and I'm finding my connections in the milling world to be dismal.

Due to stupidity on my part and a last minute change of mind I decided to do a truss rod with carbon fiber stiffeners on the side. The ones from stew mac are so expensive compared to Bitterroot from ebay. They will be here friday.

3. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    ok so I got really frustrated with previous attempts and wasted a lot of brass.

I went to AZmetals yesterday and apparently they had 3/8ths aluminum channel which is exactly the same as the Brian May bridge that I had made years ago by a fellow Brian May anorak..

so this was my latest attempt and it's much better.

now I just have to make the brass roller saddles and drill them so they spin. I bought tiny little axle rods that fit in the slots.

i keep forgetting to buy brass bar stock to reinforce along the sides of the truss rod and then it's back to creating a circuit in the fretboard to light up the clear epoxy numbers...

Attached Files:

Mat UK likes this.

4. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    making roller saddles is hard. I don't have a small hobby lathe and the giant harbor freight one is too big.

so I just shoved the rod into the press and use the hack saw to cut the grooves and then to cut between them to cut off the roller.

because the string gauge is fairly mighty at 12's...im opting to use a 3 compression spring and bolt.

I'm using a 3 bolt version of the Brian May trem. its a floating trem too but fairly easy to set.

works and sounds better than a Floyd and looks a hell of a lot more vintage.

but more on that later.

right now here's a pic of one of the saddles. like so much of this... its a work in progress. 20171206_052936.jpg

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That doesn't sound hard! :)

Newbcaster likes this.

6. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    you at least looked at the pitchurs though, rite?

Newbcaster likes this.

8. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Yessir!

Newbcaster and Jupiter like this.

9. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

WAAAA....Like my fencing master says..."I have to punch you. " I'd buy ya a beer afterwards but I still have to sock ya one. :p)

esetter likes this.

10. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I LOVED that show. James Burke. Connected the stirrup, from one invention to the other, to the atomic bomb.

Newbcaster and Barncaster like this.

11. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX

What is the secret of your power?

Newbcaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.