Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

The real deal with SD Quarter Pounder

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ttle, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ttle

ttle Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2004
    Hamilton, Canada
    I know there has been recent post on this pups. I'm really interested in putting a hotter bridge pup in my Tele.
    The stack options have been mainly dissapointing.
    So, what do you guys think of the Quarter Pounder tonewise? I know there's more mids, but how does it sounds?
    Thanks in advance,
    T

2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    It sounds like an overwound pickup. Not much top end or definition. Not much Teleness. If you didn't like stacks you probably won't like the QP. I much prefer the DiMarzio PRE-B1. It's plenty hot but it's not as rolled-off as the QP. It still sounds pretty Tele.

3. Ivan

Ivan Tele-Holic

May 8, 2006
    Not very tele like.

But great with overdrive and for Rock playing.

Have you checked out the sound clips on the seymour duncan website? They give you a clip of the pickup both clean and dirty.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Banned

Feb 6, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    +1 On the Pre B-1. I like it alot and it is hottt.

6. ttle

ttle Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2004
    Hamilton, Canada
    The SD clips on their site are not much help. First of all they're too short to really notice much of any tone or sound comparison.
    The Dimarzio Pre B-1 eh? Never check it out before but now you guys got me interested, they're cheap too. Thanks for the tip.

7. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I had a Quarter Pounder in my '69 Tele for a while and it was very dark-sounding and un Tele-like in character--but had a lot more output than the stock pickup. You might like it for heavy rock playing.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    re hotter Tele bridge pu

I have a Harmonic Design S90 Tele bridge pickup, it's definately hot but still can do some good clean Tele tones, more of a Tele bridge pu / P90 mix. Definately not muddy.
    I like it a lot, Fralin makes a similar pickup called the Steel Pole, I haven't tried the Tele version but I had a Strat with Fralin Steel Pole pickups, I thought it was great!

9. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2004
    LI New York
    I always install QP's with 500k pots, it opens up the top end a bit, but it's still not the classic Tele sound, but maybe what you're looking for.

~Michael

10. caytele

caytele Tele-Meister

May 26, 2008
    Grand Cayman,Cayman Islds
    ...there is one edition of the bridge Quarter Pounder that is tap-able...i have one of each..but most i have seen for sale are not...i got mine from ebay..(spend enough time there and you can find literally EVERYTHING you might think you want and a few things that you did'nt know you wanted!) wire it up to a push-pull and you got your twang back when you need it...

11. flapjack

flapjack Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2005
    I have a QP in the bridge of me Tele and I think it is quite bright. It has a chunkier sounding and is more powerful than other bridge pups I have used, but I would not say that it lacks top end at all, or that it is dark sounding.

12. ttle

ttle Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2004
    Hamilton, Canada
    It's a toss up between the Quarter Pounder and the Pre-B1 right now. which one for a modern rock/fusion kind of high gain? I'm doing this to my Tele because I gig with both jazz gigs and more rock/fusion ones as well. i want the Tele to be able to handle both. Which pups has less noise when pushing on high gain?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.