Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Professionals - American Professional Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by dreamingtele, May 17, 2017.

1. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    IMHO, the AV64 is the nicest Telecaster they make right now. It's incredible. Having played one, I was getting a serious case of GAS...

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

My dream telecaster is a 62 telecaster custom, double binding.. but Fender discontinued it, so the AV64 is the next best thing! How are the frets on those? I dont mind vintage frets, but switching with different necks with different radii and frets might not work for me.

3. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    FMIC calls them "vintage" frets, but on all the AV series guitars they are not precisely vintage spec. They are a little bit taller. I think their idea was that since these guitars are keepers, the owners will want to get a bit more mileage out of the frets. They are the same thickness as vintage, but a little taller.

The neck on the AV64 and the fret finish is spectacular, I can't think of a better way of describing the effect of playing it. The best thing about it is the feel of the neck. It's probably the most comfortable Tele neck I've played, especially in the first four or five positions where it tapers down very gradually. It's a '60's C neck, which is a round profile. So it's thinner at the nut but chunkier up high around the 12th fret and beyond.

The "grey bottom" pickups are also tasty. No reason to ever swap them out for anything else.

4. finyo

finyo NEW MEMBER!

May 28, 2017
    Canada
    This is my Am Pro Tele, love it!

Attached Files:

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Fender does not make tuners,Gotoh and Ping make them and there are plenty of models Fender makes that do have staggered vintage tuners.

6. Tek1

Tek1 TDPRI Member

May 20, 2015
    Southeastern PA
    I'm in. here is mine.

Attached Files:

7. dreamingtele

Lovely classic tele look! Congrats!

finyo likes this.

8. dreamingtele

beautiful! Congrats!!

Tek1 likes this.

9. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Not exact, but vintage buttons, locking, and it sure looks like staggered posts.

10. Discosanta

Discosanta TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Norway
    My local shop has a 20th anniversary sale this weekend. I have been lusting for an Am Pro tele for some time. For me they are a massive upgrade from the Am Standard. After some testing I bought this beauty for a nice discount. The ash body rings like a bell and I love the tall narrow frets. And my tele must have a three saddle bridge. For me it´s the best mass produced guitar you can buy these days for a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

11. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Lansing, Michigan

12. pvh1987

pvh1987 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Denmark
    I recently joined TDPRI. I am a proud owner of an American Professional Telecaster since late 2016, so I think it is about time I join this thread :)

It is my first real Fender and first Telecaster. I tried various models in the guitar store, including the American Standard. This one just felt natural in my hands. I absolutely love the neck and the bridge. The Am. Standard felt wrong - neck was too thin, weird bridge and sounded very thin acoustically. So I bought this one. This is the only guitar I play now and I never had a guitar feel so natural and easy to play as this :D

The model is natural ash with maple fretboard.

The only downside is that it already got a bit of fret wear, especially around the second and third frets at second and third strings - but I don't think it is that serious yet. Maybe I'll take it to the store soon and let them have a look and see if something needs to be done. I don't think I have ever played a guitar that much, so that might be the reason :)

Nevertheless, I took a few pictures the other day that I would like to share:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like the pictures :)

13. dreamingtele

Beautiful guitar man! Im in Melbourne now, and I left my Am Pro in the Philippines. I'm itching to get another one here!

14. dreamingtele

I missed out on a 1pc natural body i when I got mine., This looks superb with a rosewood board!

15. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Looks like some nicely figured wood on some of those Am Pros. I also like the vintage olive finish that is available as well.

16. Discosanta

Discosanta TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Norway
    Mine is a two piece, but the two lumbs of ash are very well matched together.

17. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth
    Just joined the forum, but joined the AmPro club several months back. Mine is Sonic Gray with a rosewood board. I did mod it though I was quite happy with stock. I installed TV Jones Starwood Tele pickups along with an Emerson 4-way switch (treble bleed too). The guitar now has a bit of P-90 growl and grit while retaining that classic Tele tone.

I like the guitar so much I am acquiring a second in Butterscotch Blonde. I have a set of Lollar Charlie Christian pickups to pop in when the instrument arrives.

Both guitars are (will be) strung with D'Addario Pure Nickel 12-51 (wound G). It's their EPN21 set. I play mostly 50's vintage Chicago Blues and jazz.

I've had a number of Teles over the course of five decades. when I picked up the AmPro I knew I had to have one. Soon enough I'll have two.

dreamingtele likes this.

18. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    How did I miss this club?! I’m head over heels for my Professional, super proud to be officially in “the club”! IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0338.JPG

Gene O. and AnAxeNamedBeverly like this.

19. dreamingtele

wow! that is a nice one! is that an am std pickguard? drop in replacement?

20. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Thank you, I like the look much better than the parchment. It just drops on, I picked it up at GC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.