Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The pedal madness continues

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by hippietim, Mar 19, 2003.

1. hippietim

hippietim Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Raleigh
    Well the UPS guy and postman came again the last couple days. I haven't gotten a chance to thoroughly test everything out but here's my first impressions:<ul>[*]Rocktek Analog Delay - ADR-02 - this is a very basic analog delay. It sounds really nice, the delay is short - maybe 150-200ms. It's really nice for staccato chord picking. This one was 12 bucks on Ebay -- this was a steal!
    [*]KMD Analog Delay - yes, I've been buying a lot of delays. This seems like a direct knock off of a Boss DM-2/3. It sounds great. The delay time seems to be up to around 300ms. It's very smooth sounding. It has a tone control which is kind of handy to control how you want the delay to blend in the mix. This is a great pedal for $35.
    [*]Boss CE-3 Chorus - I used to have one of these and foolishly sold it in my "go digital phase". This is a great sounding chorus, doesn't get to mushy, just rich. Works real nice in stereo too.
    [*]Boss LS-2 Line Selector - so this is the kind of box you need when you go overboard with pedals. It has two "loops" you can switch between in 5 or 6 different combinations. It has separate gains for each loop so you can get a boost out of it too.
    [*]Ibanez PT9 Phaser - aaaaaaahhhhh...I'm swirling. This is a very smooth "breezy" sounding phaser (as opposed to the swoosh type). This is was easy to leave on and just strum away.
    [*]Boss Phaser PH-1 - this one came courtesy of a fellow TDPRI member. This is a swoosh phaser. This sounds so good. I mean really good. It really has very nice depth.
    [*]Guyatone SV-2 - this is their answer to the classic Boss Slow Gear pedal. I wanted a Slow Gear but they're going for like crazy bucks because they are rare. So I opted for the Guyatone clone to save a few hundred bucks. I really dig it. Put a delay behind and you get a killer violin-in-a-big-concert-hall thing going.
    [/list]I now have multiples of all sorts of pedals and believe it or not, I still have a few more pedals coming. My original intention was to get a bunch of stuff reasonably priced. Experiment with things and then sell stuff off. My plan isn't working; I only have one pedal I don't want to hang on to.

2. MJ Harnish

MJ Harnish Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Hattingen, Germany
    Keep the reviews coming. :D

I love cheap fx. Nowadays it seems like everyone is obsessed with "expensive true-bypass, boutique" pedals but I like to look at fx pedals as "tone shapers" While I wouldn't dream of running 50 pedals live, it's cool to have a bunch of sonic "colors" available to use when writing or recording.

3. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    KMD Analog Delay

KMD Analog Delay was my delay of choice for a lot of years. Maybe I ought to pull it out again.

4. Maggot

Maggot Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I Agree with the Cheap Pedal thing

I've been sounding much better since I jettisoned my Fulltone and Perscription Electronics stuff to play with a RAT and Guyatone Mini-Overdrive and an Arion stage tuner with no face. I'll soon be adding a delay and a wah, and you can bet that they'll be cheap too. The only problem is that some (but not all) non-boutique pedals have really rotten bypasses. Vox wahs, DOD FX 90 delay and Russian Big Muffs are examples of this. Anyway, boutique pedals seem to sound so PARTICULAR. Regular pedals seem to get the job done more boldly and clearly. Kind of like the difference between an overproduced record and one where they just mike up and kick it out.

5. alabubba

alabubba Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Alabama
    Agree, cheap pedals can get a lot done...

After all, the guitar is an "attitude" instrument. My pedalboard is largely populated by "cheap" pedals, but the important thing is, it is a fun collection of dirty and swirly sounds to fool around with. How can I not like a pedal like the Rat? Got one last week, a "buy it now" off ebay for $30 and $5 shipping, and to me it has a not just good, but great sound. I love my "cheap" Dano Tuna Melt Tremolo, etc. My "cheap" wah is a George Dennis I got for $70 new - true bypass, optical pot, absolutely noise-free. How can I not like it? Every pedal I've got has useable sounds in it.

I don't want to waste money on junk, no one does. But once you have a good pedalboard and can leave your pedals set up and tweaked up, and protected when you are travelling, the ruggedness of a pedal case isn't nearly as important. It's more what it does to your signal that counts. Is it something that will add to the music? Then maybe its good enough. If it helps you project the tone and the attitude you have in your head, then maybe its good enough. I think there are lots of non-boutique pedals out there that I would find quite useable. It's partly a matter of becoming aware of which ones are a good value, then finding one at a time when there is enough cash in my pocket!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.