Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The pearl of great price... NAD: 1976 Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by theprofessor, May 12, 2017.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Looks like it is in great shape. The fact that it sounds great is a good sign and hopefully your tech doesn't find too much that's wrong. Great amp-good luck!

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    And here is the sum-total of my "rig" now. One MIM FSR tele, one 1976 SFDR, three overdrive pedals (Lovepedal Les Lius, Way Huge Red Llama, Fulltone Full-Drive 2 MOSFET), and one TC Electronic Ditto Looper Mini. And I've got a great Larrivee acoustic. That's it. I'm not sad.
    IMG_9852.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2017

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Not to freak out, but Monsieur Pascal mentions that he no longer uses, or recommends, Spragues for power supplies. Ever since they went RoHS (not sure when), they're more failure prone, I believe was the issue. Apparently the little cathode bypass caps are not affected the same way. He recommends F&T for the big ones. I've always used those. They do a great job, and they're a lot cheaper. Just FYI.

Eh? Blue molded? Not original in '76. You mean the blue blobs? Should be plenty of those... perfectly period correct for a mid-70s...

Blue molded:

blue molded.jpg

Blue blobs (and some brick-colored ones, too)

loose-silverface-cap-pulls.jpg

4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    ahem, sorry but, what does NAD mean?

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    NxD = New <something> Day.

Now what could A stand for...:rolleyes:

There's NGD of course, and bunches of little NPDs.

6. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    so how would you allocate trade value?
    DRRI with nice speaker: $750 (only because it is "used")
    Silverface champ:$350
    Epi dot:$400
    3 pedals:$300
    Total: $1800
    Is my math correct? Is that the price of a silverface DR today?

7. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Duh, what was I thinking? Wow, now these posts make SO much more sense to me.

I thought it meant: Not Actually Done

theprofessor likes this.

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    No, "not actually done" is what we call threads without photos. Pics or it didn't happen!

Last edited: May 19, 2017

9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    My take:
    DRRI (better speaker won't count in a sale): If in great condition, I'd say closer to $900. I sold a exc condition PRRI for $775 not too long ago, to a knowledgeable buyer.
    Champ: I'd say closer to $500
    Used Dot, more like $300.
    2 pedals, not 3, if I read correctly. The HoF and Voodoo Labs Trem don't go for much. Around $70 each.

So, $1840. Pretty much what you had, just sliced differently.

Plenty of good lookin' mid-70s DRs on Reverb for around $1500.

I think the OP may have been willing to pay more because he didn't have to deal with selling all the gear first. I have no problem doing that, but I get how others might not. Also, the deal was with a brick/mortar dealer. Lots of overhead there. Gotta pad every deal. You don't go there for the best price, IMO.

EDIT: if you factor in that one could have sold all the gear first, then the new speaker could either have been sold separately, or at least kept for the new amp, and THAT speaker could have been sold.

10. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Hey moosie - Yeah, I meant blue blobs. Sorry. As for the F&T's vs. Sprague -- my tech said that he also prefers F&T, but that there was no reason to replace the Spragues. They tested 100%. And even from my own (OCD) perspective, I can't say that I would have thought it reasonable to replace Sprague Atoms that test 100% with F&T's. When the caps are 100% and it sounds good, it seems to me that I should leave well enough alone.

11. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Absolutely yes on all counts. I much prefer brick-and-mortar dealers, especially when they're great, trustworthy people. I could pay $300 less online (maybe; shipping is always a factor) for one I'd never heard. But I played this one, and it sounded like a million bucks. Plus, the guy who runs the store is fantastic, and I knew if there was anything catastrophic, he would make it right. All that's worth a lot to me. I've lucked out on buying sight-unseen online before, but the odds are not really in your favor, when you think about it. I also like supporting small businesses I believe in.

You're right about the Dot, moosie. The "problem" is that the Dots are often on sale new for such low prices. But the trade-in value on the DRRI was less than you mentioned--a good deal less. The owner noted that he often sees used ones list in the $800 range, but that they don't really sell for that.

t guitar floyd and Piotr like this.

12. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Who is Monsieur Pascal? The 17th-century French philosopher Blaise Pascal? If so, he was remarkably prescient about filter capacitors!

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the need to replace perfectly good Spragues. Just that maybe don't consider them the be-all-end-all of power caps, like I used to think, pre RoHS. I won't use them now, for that purpose, given the choice. And if I ever have problems pointing to the power supply, I'll hopefully remember the RoHS Spragues, and have them tested (I can't test an e-cap).

Truly, just FYI.

14. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Got it! No sweat, moosie.

15. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    You shouldn't be sad, tone for days!!!!!

t guitar floyd likes this.

16. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'm not surprised your guy would say this about the DRRI. But that's what I was saying above. You won't get the best values trading in at a dealer. Also, he's not wrong, with your average listing containing a couple blurry phone pics, no write up, offering zero confidence to the prospective buyer. Maybe I should have gone with that lower number, because it's 'average', as I've agreed. But I just sold that PRRI a few months ago, so the experience is fresh, and likely skewing my report to mean: what I could likely get, in the condition my gear would likely be in, if I went my route and broke it all up first and walked in to the store with cash.

So, apples and oranges, really.

I totally understand why someone would go to a trusted local dealer, and also have the need to play something first. I squeeze my pennies a bit more than that, so it never works for me. I originally began shopping online because of my health limitations, but it's the only way I even think about now. I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of really great stuff, all bought without hands-on first. I stay away from Craigslist, and generally eBay. Also, I hope this doesn't sound elitist, but I notice when I'm shopping for some higher end stuff, there's less (not none) scammy noise to combat. I've been simply awestruck at the condition and quality of some of my sight-unseen purchases over the years.

It's just what works for me, though, and isn't at all a criticism of another's methods. As you recognize, there can be a cost to taking one approach over the other. But if the overall benefits outweigh the cost, then it's the right deal for the individual.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    No, silly. Mike Pascal, of Fat Jimmy. My sometimes amp tech. :lol:

18. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I totally get that, moosie. I sensed no elitism or prescriptivism whatsoever. You don't ever need to explain that to me! I understand that perspective completely, and it makes sense. My experience in selling gear is that it takes a very, very long time, and that you practically have to give stuff away. I write up good, detailed descriptions with great photos, but stuff never just flies out to the post box. It's all a lot of effort and dealing with people--some less than ideal. I would (and did) pay extra not to have to do all that.

Oh, Mike Pascale! Yes. Italian, I imagine, not French. And resides in San Francisco. Not as famous as Blaise Pascal--or not yet! Got it.

19. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    For real! It's all so easy now: 1. Turn amp to standby. 2. Take out guitar. 3. Plug it into amp. 4. Turn amp on to "play." 5. Adjust knobs on guitar and amp. 6. Play with great tone.

It's a thing of beauty when your "signal chain" is an instrument cable, and you're making tones that sound like they're on records! (But you'll see that I still have the Les Lius for those times I want to get really complex with that signal chain and add some dirt; I'll never part with that thing!)

Piotr and fendertx like this.

20. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Gosh, I don't know if I'm just lucky, or if I'm missing my calling giving seminars on online selling :eek::Do_O (um, no). I know I'm not giving stuff away, not at all. Nevertheless, my last handful of Reverb and TGP sales, from a month ago to last summer, all but one sold in under 5 days I think, most within 3 days, and one in 18 hours. All guitars and amps. Pedal sales similar, but fairly small potatoes in comparison. I always end up getting what I set out to get, even after entertaining offers. Interestingly, I've had more than one buyer tell me after a deal had closed that the quality of the listing swayed the deal. I work at it - it takes me hours to put together a proper listing. Photos, right lighting, wordsmithing, researching facts, making sure every little issue is disclosed...

I enjoy it, I guess. But not so much the sub $1k commodity stuff. Seems in that range there's always someone who's bought the thing on credit, can't pay the bill and is now dumping it on the market. Lowballers abound, and lots of rank BS. That said, I do buy and sell quite a few pedals, and no problems there. But MIMs, Dots, even DRRIs, yeah. Can be brutal.

Oops, yes, Mike Pascale. Yes, I imagine Italian. Who knows. American. (I have a very Italian last name, yet am mostly English and Irish descent. You know, mongrel, like most of us I guess).

I get confused because I have a good friend, who actually IS Italian (in Italy, no less), and who's FIRST name is Pascal. No 'e'. Keeping them straight is a nightmare :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.