Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The pearl of great price... NAD: 1976 Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by theprofessor, May 12, 2017.

1. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2017
    ...playing in traffic

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I don't doubt that a new hand-wired amp can sound as good or better than an older one, as long as the same quality parts are available (it seems to me that higher-quality parts are available now). One reason for going with an older one, however, is value. It seems to me that new hand-wired amps (including marvelous boutique ones) almost immediately lose value, whereas the old ones, when well serviced, will almost immediately gain value. And that trend will likely continue through the years. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's one way of thinking of it.
    P.S. We'll find out in the next week or so just how "tired" this old amp is. Hopefully not too tired! :)

t guitar floyd likes this.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I guess I don't agree with your premise but that doesn't make me right.

I'm not sure what is "tired" in an old amp that wouldn't be replaced with servicing. And at that point it's no longer tired, but it is a piece of history. And generally has a better value.

I also don't fear PCB amps or believe that hardwired components necessarily sound "better". So for me there is no value in handwiring a reissue. In my frame of reference it's spending money needlessly. When I look I also see hardwired DRRI's go for MORE than nice SFDRs, which is counter-intuitive to me.

@theprofessor - can't wait to hear the report when you get it back. It should sound the same but without any worries about breaking down. I still miss my SFDR but I sold it during a period of growth when I hadn't figured out how to make them work live for me. All part of the journey I guess.

telemnemonics and codamedia like this.

4. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    I agree the older ones hold their value better, that's buying into the mojo thing. However, I don't look at the 70's amps in the same light as 60's. In the 70's Fender guitars were some of the factory's worse and mocked in most forums for poor quality, yet the amps made in the same factory have great quality? I don't see it. Anyways I hope you enjoy your new amp. :)

5. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    nicaragua
    There's not much that you can't do with a Tele and a Deluxe Reverb....

goldwax, t guitar floyd and J Hog like this.

6. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga

7. peteb

peteb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2003
    Cascadia
    Nice amp!

I like the efficiency in the inefficiency in the way you acquired the amp.

You could have bought your ultimate amp first, but wheres the fun in that, and how would you know it was your ultimate amp?

8. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    Congrats!

In the best of health!

Cheers!

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    "Mocked in forums" being at the ultimate barometer of accuracy . . .

10. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ha! That's true! However, the graded approach was the result of two things: If I had asked my wife if I could spend $1400 on an amp to get back into playing electric guitar after many years of playing acoustic only, if at all, she would have said "H$LL NO!" And she doesn't even talk like that! So I got what I thought to be the next best thing to see if that could work, for a much, much lower price than that. Everything I got sounded great, but gear multiplies easily, too. Then I realized that I had acquired enough gear not to have to pay outright for the amp I'd always really wanted. Then I can say, "I didn't PAY anything for it. I traded for it." Yes, highly inefficient. But here I am, nonetheless!

11. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Even if the CBS-era amps were not of the quality of the pre-CBS ones, aren't almost all of those things easily reversible? No, I can't easily rip out a dadoed MFD baffle, but as far as electronics go, I don't know of many things that can't be improved with relatively minimal work and cost.

telemnemonics likes this.

12. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Awesome amp! I have a '76 Twin Reverb and a '77 Pro reverb, and would love to add a DR to the mix. But alas, they command a premium compared to the bigger amps. Have fun!! That is one terrific score.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    I just saw Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan last week, and BOTH of them were playing Silverface Deluxe Reverbs. And they sounded AMAZING! If they're good enough for those guys, I think that they are good enough for most of us.;)

t guitar floyd and Rustbucket like this.

15. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Sounds reasonable! :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about gear proliferation. I use a similar method at times, but it's even less efficient than yours.

I think of guitars and amps as things of fairly permanent value. Assets. Pedals on the other hand I view as playful, colorful, transient, and relatively cheap. There are only a few pedals I'm attached to.

I buy them all used, one at a time, and occasionally I'll look down at my feet and realize I've acquired enough to fund the cost of a nice guitar, or two. So, I list them all, convert them back to cash, and go shopping. Trading would be more efficient, eliminating the frictional costs, but I prefer cash.

I'm biting my tongue re the SF vs gutted reissue... ;)

codamedia likes this.

16. stratwilly

stratwilly TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2016
    germany
    Congratulations !!!
    I am quite sure sometime I will complement my little collection also with a SFDR.

17. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks, stratwilly! I hope you do. They are great amps.

18. peteb

peteb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2003
    Cascadia

I think you did it efficiently, particularly that you exchanged all that other gear, including effects, that you no longer have use for.

19. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Well I certainly don't need a reverb pedal! The tremolo on the amp is fine, so I don't really "need" a tremolo pedal (even though the pedal has a lot more range). I don't need a Deluxe Reverb reissue, as I now have a non-reissue. I guess the only thing I'll really miss is that Epiphone Dot. I suppose I could find one of those down the road if I ever want one. They're pretty darn cheap. More likely, I'd find an Epiphone LP with P-90's, but that's thinking far down the road. So maybe you're right!

20. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    Congrats! Nice amp! I would go back to the 5U4 and put a pair of vintage 6V6's in it. Those JJ's just don't sound like 6V6's. They're louder, not as smooth and don't give you that sweet compression when you push them. They really sound like a re-pinned 7591A to me. Enjoy.

RubyRae likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.