Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The other "Smith" guitar maker

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mally, Mar 13, 2018.

1. mally

mally Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2013
    runcorn cheshire uk
    a lovely one for sale near me so I did a search and found this !

brookdalebill, Tommyd55, Loco and 3 others like this.

2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Gordon Smiths are great. I've been a dealer for them for years and used to go and see John and Linda when they were made in my neck of the woods - John even gave me some wood to make my first ever guitar about 15 years ago - the new guys are doing a great job with them as well and it feels like they're in very good hands. They're amazing value for what they are. We make so little in the UK and almost all the domestic guitar production over here is boutique high end stuff, so I always thought it was rather noble that Gordon Smith were so committed to making instruments that were affordable to anyone playing in a local punk or indie band.

Loco and tintag27 like this.

3. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    A friend had a single cut GS1 back in the 90s. The neck was quite shallow and the fretboard quite wide. Don’t know if they were all like that. Got to try it unplugged and it was acoustically really quite loud with a decent sound considering it’s a solid body.

Never got to play it plugged in and my mate had quite a unique sound so it was hard to tell exactly what it would do. He kinda always sounded like the tone control was turned 2/3rds down. It really worked for him and he was a little bit good but like I say, hard to tell about the guitar.

I’d love to buy a single cut with two P90s!!!

4. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Another Smith?
    yasssss

tmp_8422-SmithGtr20161126_111619-1165433306.jpg

5. aux8

aux8 TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Ireland
    I got my double cut GS2 c. 1988. It has coil split humbuckers and I have probably played it most with the neck pickup split either on its own or in middle position. I didn't know much about guitars when I bought it. No internet! I just fell in love with the clean tone in the shop. Probably weird as these guitars seem more associated with punk and rock sounds...

Took it for its first set up last year! The tech had tough time getting the neck to unbow over a few days. It's now recovering with light guage strings.

I love that documentary video.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    Thanks for posting this!

7. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    There's a Gordon Smith owners club here if you wanted to read more.

Anyone who has one seems to love it. The original ones had a reputation as a great no frills working tool - concentrating on what you need to play rather than the fine finish detail. Not too unlike a standard Tele in that way.

I've got a 12 string that doesn't get as much airtime as it should but it one that's not going anywhere....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.