Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

The Original Fender Super Champ Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Big Tony, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Bendyha

Bendyha Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Northern Germany

2. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2015
    Cleveland
    That's a relief! Here I was getting upset that the shop that sold me my SuperChamp might have ripped me off by not including the pedal. They're probably out of business by now anyway.

3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    The correct tank number is 8AB3C1B, and I don't think you can get those anymore, at least not the last time I checked. Here's something I posted about it seven years ago:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=13164.0

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. lil scotty

lil scotty TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello Wally, I'm a recent Super Champ convert. I think I've read just about everything you've said on TDPRI about these little guys. I'm going to swap out the speaker in mine. It currently has the stock one in it. I know you're high on those Eminence 1028s. Cheapest I've seen is about $85 for the current iteration of this speaker. Do you know how these stack up against your older ones? Also, you once mentioned a Weber too but I can't find your post. Which one was that? Now I see you put EV Force Speakers in yours. Am I correct that these 3 are all viable options? I know I can't find/afford one of the EVs some SCs came with. Thank you in advance for your time--and your dedication to the SC cause!
    Scotty

savofenno likes this.

6. okgb

okgb TDPRI Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Winnipeg
    First convert of 2017 ? I've had mine for a couple of years , just found this place look forward to tweaking it!
    I just use it to noodle on the clean channel while watching tv. [ I'd love to have it and a jubilee combo as a pair ! ]

BTW, when installing the speaker jack , does anyone isolate it from chassis ground ?
    or just just a 1/4" grounded jack ?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017

7. Bendyha

Bendyha Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Northern Germany
    I would always choose to isolate, the easiest being to use a cliff jack. Here is what the insides look like where the jack goes in - a simple but useful mod.
    upload_2017-6-20_22-40-8.png

8. okgb

okgb TDPRI Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Winnipeg

9. Frank-n-Furter

Frank-n-Furter TDPRI Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Bochum, Germany
    Hi everybody,
    been a long-time lurker on this forum - bought my SC in 1982. Replaced the original speaker within a week with a Celestion G10-60. Had the amp partially recapped and overhauled some years ago. Still works like on day one.
    IMG_2258.jpg
    The head cab mentioned in the post before - will it fit?
    Best, Frank

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    irie likes this.

10. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I don't think it will fit in a Vibro Champ cabinet. Mojotone will build you a custom cabinet though, at least the last time I checked which was about 10 years ago. Reggie Silva (Rawcabs) makes/sells unfinished cabinets for the Rivera Fender amps. You can also check with Peter Mather (Mather Cabs). He does custom stuff. I just had him build a combo cabinet for my blackface Bassman build.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Super Champ cabs are a little bit deeper than the Champ/Vibrochamp amps, iirc....adn the chassis needs that depth.

12. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yeah, I've got a PRII also and it's about as deep as the classic 6L6 amps.

13. okgb

okgb TDPRI Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Winnipeg
    the width is correct for the SC , check the depth then!
    6 3/4 is sufficient including the Lip up to the top edge before the bevel
    I'd have to measure but I believe 8 is generous longer depth

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017

14. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I like the Champ-sized Super Champ cab. Ime, a speaker can make the little package sound very big....I used Eminence ALK 1028's for over 20 years...big, Rich sounds. I now have EV's in them....a little bit 'bigger and richer'.?..just by a bit. The Emi's are great speakers...and weigh 8 3/4 pounds less than the EVI/Force speaker.

15. Frank-n-Furter

Frank-n-Furter TDPRI Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Bochum, Germany
    Thanks everybody - Rawcabs and Mather look very good. Anybody has a good recommendation for a german cab maker in the same league?
    I'm still hesitating a bit though - my amp is still (speaker aside) absolutely original and in good shape. And even with an external 2x12", there's no chance to be heard next to a loud drummer, i guess. Right?

16. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    With an effecient 10 even, it shouldn't be problem keeping up with most drummers. I practiced and gigged with mine for several years. For bigger gigs it was miked. Never had a problem. Side by side with my Princeton Reverb II, they're both about the same volume level. The PRII just sounds fuller.

Wally likes this.

17. okgb

okgb TDPRI Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Winnipeg
    It's " clean " head room which would be the concern using a 20 watt amp with a drummer, On a MM luke gtr using a mesa 20/20 pwr amp I did a gig where on the bridge pick up with a clean preamp sound
    [ although lower gain means I had to turn up the master ] playing lightly kept it clean but quiet , digging in started to break up , but in a good way. using the middle pick up kept it clean and allowed me to play harder
    so it's a balance

18. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX

Th
    e speaker might have more to Dow its the output than does the amp's rated output in watts. An 18-watt Super Champ with a speaker in the 100db range of efficiency may well be as loud or slightly louder than an 85 watt TR with 92db speakers.

19. okgb

okgb TDPRI Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Winnipeg
    I'm guessing however , that a more efficient speaker won't sound as good for overdriven sounds.

20. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Efficiency has to do primarily with the volume that is created. If you don't want a loud amp, get a low efficiency speaker...or speakers. Some of the most efficient speakers create some of the best overdrive. Some efficient speakers are speakers that create overdrive that I personally do not want to hear. These two situations are also true for low efficiency speakers.

21. okgb

okgb TDPRI Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Sure a jbl vrs t-75 vrs greenback

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.