Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The only guitar I bought twice

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ooba Tooba, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    IMG_3524.JPG IMG_6081.JPG IMG_6084.JPG IMG_6085.JPG IMG_6086.JPG IMG_6088.JPG IMG_6090.JPG IMG_6092.JPG my first Tele was a 1994 Plus model in blueburst. Had it 10 years (and a lot of shows) and loved it. The paint around the edges looked better than the 93 and earlier models. Those kind of looked like a dark stripe around the perimeter. The 95 model became version 2, so the 94 was it for me. Sold it to keep my house (almost paid off now!) and always missed that one. They rarely popped up (the 94 blueburst) and when they did I didn't have the coin. I traded the new surf green (really loved the way that one played too) American Professional in my avatar for this one. My second USA 94 Fender Plus in blueburst. That's my brother (and bandmate) with my old one. Blue was the only other guitar he'd put his Les Paul down to play

Big tuna, TigerG and Piggy Stu like this.

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    You were so excited about your new surf green, solid rosewood neck tele. Seems like you paid quite a price for that trade - I guess you didn't bond with it. Anyway, nice guitar!

3. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    IMG_6093.JPG Earlier Tele paint by comparison

4. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Yeah, I plan to own another. But I will be changing pickups in it I think. My kids are slightly disappointed because they loved the green. And that neck...

5. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Cool.blue burst trans.
    May I ask about those pickups? Is the humbucker coil tapped so you can switch it to single coil mode? If so what's it like when single coil, does is sound authentic as a traditional tele bridge? Thanks

6. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    sweet teles , I seem to recall Michael Houser from widespread panic playing one of those

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I distinctly remember seeing one like that hanging in the music store brand new when I went in to buy my first electric guitar back in the mid '90's. I didn't understand why it looked special but I could tell it was.
    Understandably, It was not in my price range for a beginner. I did buy a Peavey reactor ax tele shaped object.
    Never forget about the plus though.
    Very nice.

8. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    That bridge pickup is what they call a "Dually Red" Lace Sensor - it's 2 single-coil-sized Lace Sensors in a humbucker housing; the mini-toggle in-between the volume and tone control is a 3-way switch, so you can get the front Lace Sensor, both together, or the rear one. Lace Sensors have different voices, and the color of the "Fender Lace Sensor" logo tells you what the voice is. The red logo Lace Sensors are what I would call "very hot Strat" pickups. I've not played a Tele Plus plugged in (I wasn't into Teles back then; the only Teles I liked were the 2 humbucker Schecters like Townshend used in the early 1980s), but I played a whole lot of Deluxe Strat Plus (which has a single angled red-logo Lace Sensor bridge pickup) and Strat Ultra (which has the same Dually Red pickup and same mini-toggle) back in the day.

I was very, very close to buying a Strat Ultra in 1992, but at the 11th hour I wound up getting a PRS CE maple-top instead. As I remember the Dual Lace on the "front coil" sounded to me like Neil Young's "Old Black" Les Paul, which has a Firebird mini-bucker pickup in the bridge position. On the rear coil it was very wiry-sounding - at the time the only guitar I owned was a Fender Lead II, which had 2 of Fender's hotter X-1 pickups and the rear coil sounded a lot like the old Lead II. Of course with both coils it came off like a Ducan JB or other hotter humbucker. I would assume that it would be similar on the Tele Plus. I'm sure Ooba Tooba will be here with a better, full description versus my fading memories from 1992.

9. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

10. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.