Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Official Hurricane Irma thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    It w as always our favorite place in Florida. Every time we visited my parents in Tamarac we would try to find an excuse to get down to the Keys.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm right next door to Tamarac, so let me guess:

Did they live at King's Point?

3. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    I honestly don't remember the name of the development. The address was 9700 NW 82st. It's been 20 years since they've been gone.

4. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I too used to barely slow down going through Key Largo. But now it's my favorite. Besides the reefs, one of the best things up there are the bars and restaurants that are off the main road. From my friend's house, we can get to to two outstanding local places to eat/drink without touching US 1. Heck, we could walk there and stumble back....

5. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Amazingly, Mrs. Mac's was one of first places reopened. I say amazingly because as you know it wasn't a new, built to modern code, structure.

As to liquor stores, you've gotta check out Discount Liquor (a couple blocks north of Mrs. Mac's). We call it ''The Wall of Rum'', for reasons which will be obvious if you go inside....

Honest Charley likes this.

6. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    I didn't mention before, but I was born in Key West. My dad worked on a commercial shrimp boat there. I was quite young when the family moved to Ft. Pierce, but I've been back many times and am sad of all the destruction. But we can't change natural phenomena like hurricanes and typhoons.

dkmw likes this.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I just donated to a charity that is helping people who were hit on Caribbean islands. I figure they need it most.

Beside the immediate help, food, water and shelter, I hope they plan for the future. Rising sea levels and warmer seas, and more deadly weather. It can't be ignored.

Honest Charley and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

8. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    So you are officially a Conch! One of my good friends was born there too. He was a Cuban boatbuilder, it was in his blood. Sadly he passed, way too young, a couple of years ago. He had great stories of being a little kid there in the late 60s-early 70s. One of his earliest memories was having his grandmother give him coconuts to pound on the pavement or nearby rock to loosen the husk and get the nut out. Later he figured out that was a great way for his grandmother to get him out of her hair for an hour or two.

bullfrogblues and Honest Charley like this.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I'm keeping an eye on Jose now; it's looking like it's setting up to pull a Sandy. :(

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The projected track would have to be really off for this to hit anything by going jerk west, but who knows.

And as much as I still love Boris Bubbanov here...

He would be sending buses to evacuate Brooklyn right about now.

Andy B and tery like this.

11. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    The European model has Jose being blocked by high pressure system in a few days; with Maria catching up and them doing some kind of pas de deux off the coast in about a week. Fun fun fun.

12. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden
    Love you all guys! Stay safe! We´re all TDPRI´ers! We are Family!

13. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Who the hell is Maria?

14. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    You're not keeping up, Ira:) Maria will be in the Leewards in about 48 hours.

Here's the 96 hour snapshot of the Euro, too close for comfort in NJ/NY:

[​IMG]

15. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I don't care about the Leewards.

I got enough problems of my own getting my Irma trash picked up.

Unless Maria hits Coral Springs and blows my trash to the Leewards so THEY can deal with it.

16. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    Currently, residents all the way down to Marathon are being allowed re-entry. As of 7:00A.M. tomorrow, those of us who live in the lower Keys can go all the way to Key West so long as the traveler has a red zone 1 re-entry pass or proof of residency showing a lower Keys address. There will be a check point set up at the 7 Mile Bridge to enforce the restricted entry.

Everyone going down should be self-sufficient. Initially, there was no infrastructure support: no water, no sewer and no electricity. There has been some recovery, but it is mostly in Key West. From Sugarloaf Key continuing on north/east to Cudjoe, Summerland, Little Torch, Big Pine, etc., it is expected that services may not back on line for weeks. Every resident going down needs to bring water, food, generators, gasoline, etc. because there's a good chance you're not going to be able to buy what you need down there.

This was a major hit, folks. Real estate is expensive down here. Many folks put their life savings into buying their little piece of paradise so they could ride out their retirement years. Others worked two and three jobs so they could afford to be here. Many of these people have lost everything.

But: "failure is not an option". Conchs (Keys residents) are resilient. We'll bounce back.

Ira7, tery and Frodebro like this.

17. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Good to hear from you! I should have been more precise in that post a couple of days ago - the road was clear, and usable for emergency crews and supplies; but not for public use. One good thing about only having only one road is that it makes it easy for authorities to control entry/exit.

18. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Can you let me/us know of fundraising/charity/rebuilding/ whatever kind of efforts you want to call them...that go 100% to helping the Keys?

Call me a heartless bastard, but I don't really want to donate money to certain organizations where 50% of the money goes to FUNDING that organization...40% goes to Bangladesh...and only 10% gets split between Harvey and Irma victims.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

19. draggindakota

draggindakota TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Lehigh Acres, Florida
    We made it through ok. The eye passed right over us. My neighbors fence ended up in my yard and I watched their back porch fly over their roof and become the front porch of the pine trees across the street. Lost power at 4pm on Sunday amd still don't have any. Internet service is still out as well.

Luckily we just lost a few sections of fascia trim and the kids' swing set got a bit mangled.

20. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wow. Still without power, huh?

Is it hot there?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.