Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Official Hurricane Irma thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    First, I never cooked a flank or London Broil that wasn't shoe leather. I don't know how to cook that/those cut(s).

Next, for those not in the Florida know, the Gumbo-Limbo tree is also referred to as the Tourist Tree.

It has a reddish bark which constantly peels away, just like a tourist who got too much sun on the beach and starts peeling.

teletimetx and william tele like this.

2. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I am good, thanks for asking:):twisted:

3. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Gumbo-Limbo is one of my favorite native trees:cool:

I am just going to scare these pieces of steak on an extremely hot fire; granted flank's not the most tender cut but the flavor is unique. We always marinate these; this time it's a thick teriyaki with loads of sesame seeds which will get burnt to a crisp.

bullfrogblues and Andy B like this.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    London Broil? No problem. Flank steak? I'm with you on that one. Maybe I've not gotten a decent one but all I wanted to do was Casadillas, so I cut it across the grain like advised and wound up with a chewy, fatty mouth full of gristle.
    Heck, I like sirloin way better and can get it just as cheap...no more flank for me!

5. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Real flank steak? Salt at least 2 hours in advance (forget marinades, dry brine works best), and sear it really hot. Slice it thin medium rare. You can also pound the crap out it beforehand to tenderize some it if you want.

Andy B and ZackyDog like this.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Brine you say? Maybe that was my problem...I did marinate, hot fire, medium rare. I'm probably over it anyway...thanks:)

Phrygian77 likes this.

7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Salting meat well in advance really makes a difference in it's moisture retention.

william tele likes this.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Sounds good; thanks for the idea. I'm not a good cook, but I have been meaning to try and cook a flank steak for quite some time.

How about rinsing off the brine before you grill it?

untitled.png

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Andy B likes this.

9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    For a big piece of meat you can over salt and rinse, but getting the right salt level in the end is dependent on how long you let it sit. It's like a strong wet brine. A lot of people do chicken for a few hours in 10% brine, which is fairly strong. Let that sit overnight and it's ruined. For dry brines, I just like like to salt like I normally would, put the meat on some paper towels on a pan and put it in the fridge for a few hours.

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I totally understand the concept of brining. The salt pulls all the moisture out of the center of the meat, but then it all rushes back in throughout the entire piece, making it moister than ever.

I brine my turkeys, which I smoke, but I just can't accept this concept for a piece of beef.

And oh:

My wife loves teriyaki. To me, it's the anti-Christ.

I love Japanese food, but it can't have more than a HINT of the stuff or I'm outta there.

teletimetx, Phrygian77 and jondanger like this.

11. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I shouldn't have brought up food here - significant hijack risk:eek:

It was good. Burnt just a bit on outside, very rare center. Five minutes on hot fire. A little Caesar salad and some garlic/butter pasta.

12. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I've been arguing with my wife over every little stupid thing before, during, and after Irma.

An argument about cooking flank steak is kids' stuff compared to that.

13. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    I get good flank steaks here. I use a dry rub overnight and grill the meat until it is medium rare. If it cooks any more it turns to shoe leather.

Phrygian77 likes this.

14. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I like how this has turned into a cooking thread... We didn't have enough of a disruption from the storm for it to force us to cook anything interesting, but I'm thinking about breaking out the electric smoker this weekend.

We got very little effect at our house, lost power for a total of maybe 5 min, had internet until about midnight Monday and then, once the storm was completely over, lost our internet and still haven't gotten it back. I've been using my phone as a hotspot and as much as I'm annoyed at AT&T for being worthless right now, in the grand scheme of things I can't complain...

My business is on lower ground, we had a good two feet of water in the street in front of us there, but none inside, no damage and I turned the power back on Monday night. The surrounding areas and some of my employees weren't as lucky. It was the worst flooding in the 150 years since records were kept and we had storm surge equivalent to a category three hurricane on the river. One of our bartenders had 3+ feet of water in his apartment, another guy lives on the second story, so stayed dry but was stuck in his apartment until Thursday morning. Overall, Jacksonville came through pretty well, but some small areas got it really bad.

Honest Charley and Phrygian77 like this.

15. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    @Nickfl , we live down near the headwaters of the St. Johns, where there was a shocking amount of rain while the center of storm was still in the Keys and SWFL. All that water was flowing north at the same time the onshore winds packed up the mouth of the river up by you. It was a recipe for flooding...

Here's a site I found with up-to-date satellite imagery: https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

It looks like all the strong structures in the Keys fared relatively well:) And not as much damage as I expected (although it's hard to pick out details) in some of the neighborhoods with older structures built on ground level. Trees are a mess and there's sand washed over the roadway in places.

My friend is down there and I'm waiting for him to get un-busy enough to give me more info. He has clients up his you-know-what 24 hrs/day seeking PE counsel on emergency repairs.

Honest Charley and Phrygian77 like this.

16. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    This story starts out with reports on the bar I referred to as "gone''. It's on a cove Atlantic side that funneled the surge right in.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...-florida-keys-after-hurricane-irma/669352001/

Live music seven nights per week makes it guitar related...

I have some great, but very weird fuzzy memories;) For instance, I clearly remember the first time I went there, but I hardly remember leaving that night, or any other.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's crazy that Largo is so relatively close to me, that I always pass it by for Islamorada, Marathon and Key West.

And every time we stop there, I always think, this place is cool enough for a visit of its own, but I never do.

Phrygian77 likes this.

18. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Mrs. Mac's Kitchen, great place for breakfast in Key Largo. I wonder how how they faired the storm. Islamorada Beer Company, is also a great stop.

Our last day in the Keys was at Gluntz in Marathon. It was the nicest place we stayed at. A real suite with a separate living room. They had an awesome pool and their own private beach. They also had a decent restaurant and a liquor store attached. What more could you ask for?

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Two liquor stores.

Honest Charley likes this.

20. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I gotta tell you guys:

It's not like I was a citizen of the Conch Republic or a Keys maniac in general, but who doesn't love it when we're able to get down there?

But after Irma, I really feel the damage, the loss.

Phrygian77 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.