Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Official Hurricane Irma thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    First, I'm pissed that it isn't Hurricane Ira, but that's a different story.

1) Total chaos and shortages in the stores. Water, batteries, small propane canisters, gas stations already running out of gas, etc. This is a combination of seeing the results of Harvey, and since its been a LONG time since we had a major event or scare in South Florida, more than 10 years, we have a lot of newcomers who never prepped for a storm before and are going crazy.

But as a tragic "joke," after looking at Harvey, what good are these supplies going to do you if they're floating 20 miles away?

2) This path is incredibly straight. Just a slight wobble in the eye. If it stays a hair north, models have it turning northeast and screwing us in FL. A hair south, and the mountains of Cuba will significantly weaken it.

3) I'll stock up on beer tomorrow.

2. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Stay safe and keep on rockin!

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Yea. Saw that. We have some friends in KW that had over 5ft of water in that last one that hit. Called them yesterday.
    Wish all well and prayers for all.

4. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Smart people in the Keys usually evacuate...days in advance. (Only one lane in each direction on many parts of US1, although they'll block southbound traffic and make both lanes north.)

With any kind of storm surge, there ARE no more Keys.

5. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Getting sketchy all over Florida. No place to run, no place to hide. Hope the models are off a bit - it would be hard to imagine a worse scenario if they are correct.

I live about 900' from the Atlantic. At this point I have contingency plans but no decision. It's very possible we may stay home and ride it out. I've been out in evacuation traffic jams before and this one will likely be much worse

Thursday will be decision day.

puddin likes this.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Trust me, you wouldn't want "the honor" if it ever got bad.

I know one young woman (named Katrina) who finally ended up moving out of Louisiana, to Washington State to get away from all the rude remarks she got. Another, older woman began using her middle name instead.

Imagine, shopping, minding your own business and many of the customers are saying &$@*^%ing Ira! I hate him!

Toto'sDad and Ira7 like this.

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    i have family in florida...i hope the cane dosnt do much damage

Toto'sDad likes this.

8. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Jakedog likes this.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They say that anyway.

Andy B, the_lyall, fendertx and 5 others like this.

10. boris bubbanov

If Dkmw thinks that Thursday is decision day, then the day to hit the road is actually tomorrow. Don't just observe the storm - observe your neighbors and anticipate what they're going to do.

You've heard about the gasoline supply issues with the Colonial Pipeline. I drove from far Western North Carolina to the Memphis area yesterday, and the prices are up from $ 2.10 to about $ 2.50 but the supply seemed fine. Expected some lines, but saw none. Relatively light traffic - under seven hours, not really trying too hard.

11. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm inland a bit, but that doesn't help you with the wind.

I'm also not in a flood zone, but I have a hard time accepting The Army Corps of Engineers' assessment of this, considering all of Florida was underwater at one time!

12. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Oh man it looks bad, and it looks like its not going to track north.

Good luck Florida. If I was down there I'd be calling relatives out of state about that long-deferred visit

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Don't wait. Go! If it misses, no harm. If it does hit, you'll be glad you did.

Be safe, friends!

awasson, Jakedog, mnutz and 1 other person like this.

14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Best wishes to every who might be affected.

Haytheman likes this.

15. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    Good luck Ira7. We're still bailing water here in Houston.

16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    In-laws live about a half hour south of Sarasota. I'm getting worried, wife (surprisingly) not so much. I think she thinks it's not going to hit where they are. Their house is well protected, with metal shutters and all. Thing that worries me is they're only like 3' above sea level and less than a mile from the Gulf Coast.

17. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Models were unnervingly accurate 5 days out on Harvey. We're all hoping they don't continue that accuracy.

The problem with evacuating (yes I've done it five times previously) is twofold. You risk being caught in gridlock and there is really no place to hide from the scale of what's predicted. If it were coming in straight off the ocean I'd be outta here; coastal flooding/surge could wipe our barrier island clean. But if eyewall comes up middle of state I'm actually at no more risk than inland locations

I could try to get to Georgia but last time we did that there was more damage there in some ways. Trees and homes there aren't designed for high winds.

18. boris bubbanov

Were they?

I recall a disturbance out there, and I don't think it was even an "Invest" 5 days before the initial landfall. Then, they told us it would probably go ashore with Corpus right in the cross hairs, or possibly going ashore further South than that. Much of the anxiety was about huge rainfall around SA and Austin and Hill Country, and about a surge cutting through a coastal barrier island - and East Texas got a storm instead that was quite different and just as terrible. My impression was, there was little or no storm preparedness in Beaumount, Orange or Port Arthur - my suggestion is, if the modeling was accurate, wouldn't those people have been mobilized?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    teletimetx likes this.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have family in Florida on the Gulf side, (niece) and my son recently purchased a couple of houses there. He's gotten one fixed up already and rented to a very nice lady with children. I hope all are okay

20. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Best wishes to all in harm's way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.