Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Official 2017-18 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frank'n'censed, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

Now or never, all their key guys are in their early 20's, (Lucic is 29 & Talbot is 30, spent many years as a backup, with low mileage), curious statement?

2. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

Now or never, all the key guys are in their early 20's, (Maroon & Lucic are 29 & Talbot is 30, a backup, most of his career, with low mileage), curious statement?

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/roster

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    No offense, but this seems funny to me, coming from a Bruins fan. Your guys barely made the cut last year, and got bounced in the first round. I didn't see any offseason moves to strengthen either your defense or bolster your offense. And for the past few seasons, teams like Carolina and Buffalo have been gathering good young talent (yes, I know Buffalo still has horrendous goaltending). I honestly think your guys will be on the outside looking in at the playoffs this year.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

4. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I don't think the Habs or Bruins are all that good, certainly not contenders. I'd take a healthy Tampa Bay over either of those teams.

5. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I'll see your ugly and raise you a fugly!

IMG_4919.JPG

Thankfully these got axed the same time as Mike Keenan and never saw the ice.

AlbertaGriff likes this.

6. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Otters fan? You got to see Debrincat then too. I'm very curious to see how he does this year.

7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Well it's a great day for hockey!!! Tonight the banner gets raised and the puck gets dropped at the PPG Arena where my Pens begin their quest for a 3peat. Oh yeah, I am ready!!

8. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

May 1, 2007
    Keller, TX
    I think the team to keep an eye on this season is the Dallas Stars. Their off-season acquisitions were the best in the league. Of course, I'm a little biased.

9. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Sorry this took so long -- I've been fighting a stomach flu...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously, who thought those collars were a good idea? What is this, the Premier League?

10. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Based on The Oil's results in their home/season opener, versus their southern Alberta rivals...Edmonton's stars from last season, are back in form; a hat trick for McDavid, 2 assists for Draisaitl & a shutout for Talbot!

catdaddy likes this.

11. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

The Oil is poised to roll. McDavid...what a player!!

The Pens looked like they might have a bit of a hangover from what they were sippin' out of the Cup over the summer. Still, they showed some character by scoring twice late to tie it up before losing in OT.

Frank'n'censed likes this.

12. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    IMG_1932.PNG

We have a fairly tough, opening month

13. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Looks like the Edmonton McDavids will have no trouble this year.

14. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    You gotta be a fan of the other team...there's so much more to the success of the McDavid's than Connor o_O It's like saying the Dynastic, '80's Oilers, were all about Gretzky?

15. AlbertaGriff

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well they weren't the same team without him, that's for sure.

And okay, I'll give you Talbot...

But honestly, if a team gets 4 first overall picks in 6 years, plus 1 generational talent dropped in their lap, I think some of the enthusiasm should be tempered with humility.

16. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Granted no team's schedule in the NHL is easy but, I've seen a lot worse...

The Pens schedule for October includes back to back games with The Blues (last night) and Hawks (tonight), and The Caps and Lightning (next week). In addition they face The Preds, The Wild, The Oil, The Lightning (again), The Rangers, The Jets (twice) and The Panthers (twice). That's 13 games (5 home and 8 away) for the month compared to 10 for the Oil.

17. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Apr 23, 2006
    Leafs Nation
    Good start for the Leafs last night. They're a fun bunch to watch.

18. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Definitely a Flames fan, here...
    For a good decade, we paid the price, living with Lowe's Losers & his ego. I'm not a fan of today's draft lottery scenario, especially particular teams playing for the basement. With the cap factor & escalating player contracts, money has especially taken away the enjoyment of the game. I found an old seasons ticket of mine, from the '80's, used as a bookmark...it was a sneak preview of the Stanley Cup final, that year, The Oil & Flyers, $10.00. They were mid level, upper bowl, but I never once sat there for an entire game, opting to stand on the main concourse, behind my father's aisle seat, (my sister was a former usherette, so we knew management). My final season in Edmonton was '88-89, the year the Flames won their only Cup. No coincidence, as Gretzky had been traded that summer, at 27, to the Kings. I'd now inherited my father's aisle seat, recalling the '88-89 All-Star game...Wayne was in town, with Janet Jones & newly born, Paulina. They were seated in our section, except on the opposite end of the aisle, about 10 rows lower. During the pregame warmup, camera crazed fans were swarming the new mother & baby, with their garish flashes. My late best friend & I couldn't believe our eyes, when Mr. Hockey, himself, Gordie Howe, sudden bolted up our aisle, from the lower zamboni opening! He turned the corner behind me, going down the right side aisle & told the dopey mob to hit the road...Chivalry Timbres! That spring, still recovering from "The Trade" & our premature exit from the playoffs, I bought 8 standing room tickets to Game 1, of the Stanley Cup Final, the Calgary Flames against the legendary, Montreal Canadiens, any Canadian hockey fan's dream matchup. Intending to sell 7 of the tickets & see the game, I couldn't believe it when there were still a hundred standing room tickets, STILL available...selling only 2, I still have 5 unused tickets, left! One day, I'll sell them at Christmas, on Craigslist, in Calgary. It speaks for itself, how that many were still available in a supposed, Canadian hockey mad city, who'd never been to a Stanley Cup Final! I moved to Vancouver that summer, with Edmonton surprising many of the hockey world, when the Messier led Oilers, took the Cup. I grew to miss those Battles of Alberta, when the real Stanley Cup raged within the province of Alberta, welcoming a return to a legitimate rivalry, with a recent resurrection of these, respective franchises!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    AlbertaGriff likes this.

19. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Do your homework, Draisaitl's a beast of a talent, finishing eighth in league scoring!

AlbertaGriff likes this.

20. AlbertaGriff

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    You got me... I'm a Flames fan.

And I love rubbing that decade of futility in. But each of those years, only 1 team won the cup. And it wasn't the Flames either.

Draisaitl is a good player - but do you really think he finishes top 10 in scoring without McDavid?

Also - do your homework - Flames were in the 1986 cup Final.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.