The new Queen of the house

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SacDAve, May 18, 2019.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

We brought our new puppy home Tuesday. She is a Shiba Inu 8 weeks old yesterday. My son named her “Akiko” (bright child) she has adjusted to the house and us great and is loving life. We bought her sight unseen except for photos Shiba Inu’s are not easy to get. She is 100% pure-bred both parents are from Taiwan*. My wife is a big believer in thing are meant to be, after reading about deferent breeds my son found the Shiba Inu’s we all really liked everything about the breed following a suggestion to go on the AKC website to find a breeder after sending/leaving messages no responses at all. Then one Sunday I left a message wit a breeder about two hours later the phone rings and a man with really broken English calls and says he still has the puppy I tell him I want her what do I need to do to get it? Then I say I want my son to look at the pictures firstso I get him to come look It was just the color he wanted (at this point my son is freaking out). we got everything sorted out deposit & picking up the dog. Back to my wife things are meant to be we had a trip to San Diego planned to visit our daughter, the puppy was in Chino Ca 1.5 hours away from SD ready to come to her new home at the time of our trip. We meet the breeder Steve on Monday when we picked up the Akiko we talked for 2.5 hours about Shiba Inu’s meet the parents in our conversation with Steve and his wife Tina he said when I told him I wanted my son to see the pictures he new the dog was meant to be ours it’s all about family. he said there were quiet few people that wanted the puppy. Yeah maybe meant to be.

As for the puppy she is just a bundle of joy, believe it or not pretty much house broken I’d say 95%. Has taught us all to pick up your clothes. She also sleeps in her crate all night I take her out at 5:00 AM takes care of business. We don’t let her out by herself we do have a pool and she is about 7lbs (will hit 18-20lbs) so someone hangs with her. All and all Akiko is a great addition to the family except the puppy bites.

· *there is a deference in the American and Asian The American Shiba’s are bread to have a longer snout and front legs the Asian one’s are more traditional. None of that matters to me I just wanted a good first puppy yep my first dog BTW hates the harness

Attached Files:

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Congratulations, nice looking dog

SacDAve likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Looks like trouble!
    :)

Bones and boris bubbanov like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Very cool pup! :^)

5. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful dog! She'll love you forever.

6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Your first dog... and you start with a Shiba. You will be tested. Enjoy the ride! ;)

They are gorgeous dogs, Shiba Inus.

Nothing in this world like having a great dog... except two of them, that is. :lol:

They are a treat!

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Bones, Deathray and Chinacat like this.
  7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That is a very cool looking dog.

8. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

Good looking pup.
    wtg_pup.jpg

9. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

Awesome - just keep her busy;)

Deathray likes this.
  10. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Cute dog. Cute for now. We got a dog 10 months ago. We're learning to put away our shoes.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Chinacat likes this.
  11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Congrats, beautiful dog.

12. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

What a sweetie....New Puppy Day!!!!

13. Chinacat

Chinacat TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Congratulations - remember the training. You're in for a fun ride.

14. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Congrats on the beautiful new pup!

May you share many, many years and adventures together!!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice looking dog .

Congrats .

Not as many red flags as an entire website devoted to getting/not getting a breed ( “So you think you want a Jack Russell...”) but mentioned by posters above.

I’ve never met a dog that a lot of land couldn’t put right

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Congratulations on the handsome new family member!

17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

18. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Gorgeous pup. Congrats

19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Congratualtions on your new family member and welcome to the world wide Nehon Ken family!

Shibas are awesome dogs and will also present a lot of challenges for a first time owner. Generally, this isn't a dog that breeders will match with a first time owner, but that's a moot point now. Before I bought my first Akita , way back in 1997, I had never owned my own dog either and now over 20 years later, I help assess Akitas and potential owners to be matched up through the rescue group where we adopted our most recent boy. So, there is the potential for a long lasting relationship with this pup and the breed in general.

Here are two Facebook groups you and /or your wife should join in addition to any specific Shiba pages you may join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NihonKen/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/couchwolves/

I am on both of them with my Akita Inu, so you know they are good pages :p

There are several Shiba meetup groups in California, one is probably close to you, I strongly suggest you try to find one and participate in their activities. Being in contact with other owners who have years/decades of experience in the breed can be a lifesaver. Like Akitas, the smaller Shiba is a "primitive breed" ( there's some discussion and dissent about what is a primitive and/or ancient breed, but for our conversation, Shibas are primitive in relationship to modern dog breeds) and as such a much different type of dog compared to a Golden retrieve or a "puggle". Everyone likes to think their dog is "special" and they are, but the primitive breeds are different, very different, owners of popular common breeds simply do not understand and neither do a lot of vets and trainers.

Get ready for lots of attention when you are out in public. :)

DHart and SacDAve like this.
  20. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

So cute! A friend of mine used to breed/raise Shiba's, they are great little dogs. Good luck, the first couple of months are the hardest, but you'll get through it if you are persistent. We'd had Golden Retrievers for years and decided to try a Shetland Sheepdog. I wasn't prepared for the difference in energy levels at all, it was trying, but all worth it in the end and would get another in a heartbeat.

This is THE BEST book ever written about training and dog behavior and I highly recommend it to any dog owner, whether it's your first or your 10th. A friend lent me her copy when we got our first dog and I thought it was so good, I bought my own copy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618130500/?tag=tdpri-20

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.