Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

the new GAS challenge - limit yourself for 6 months and then report

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:44 AM.

1. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2010
    Kent, WA
    Oh boy, I feel like I'm stumbling in drunk to an AA meeting. Have bought an embarrassing amount of equipment this year and I'm not done yet. It's like the roaring 20s.

My company is being sold so they have been lavishing us with retention bonuses to keep the business functioning until the new owners take over. New owners will scoop up our customers and shut us down Jan 1 so I'll be looking for a new job in the new year. Shame, I really like this job but I work in IT and live in Seattle so I'm not too worried.

I'm also working on a new solo album (hence all the new gear), so I'll be back after the crash. Good luck you frugal bunch.

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I sent mine back. Didnt like it. Wish I still had it, I'd let you borrow it to see if you wanted one..

telemnemonics likes this.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I really like the 250 and hated the Gunslinger.

4. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    I buy a new set of strings every year, whether I need them or not, can I play too?

telemnemonics and Wrong-Note Rod like this.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    We could almost be twins, down to the tinnitus, left hand and downscaling.

I've sold off quite a bit of gear this year, partly to fund a really nice amp (Fender '64 Custom reverb) and also because I realised that I have gear I never use and that it won't make me play any better.

I'd like to think that I could pass this challenge, but I tend to buy strings in 5/6 packs as they are cheaper, but in the UK end up being more than £25 ($30 or so?), but otherwise I think I'll be OK now.

PS: I might sell a Marshall 1 watt head/cab I have, so does that give me bonus points? :D

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.

6. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    This year? Nope!!! I've bought a Fender Elite Tele and a Fender Princeton Reverb RI. Maybe this will be my new year's resolution though.

7. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I learned my lesson this year. I remember foolishly posting here that 2018 was going to be a gear-free year for me. Traded in pretty much every guitar I had with the exception of one.

Nope, I ain't fallin' for that again. Good luck though!

8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Lessee, if I buy with credit card I am spending their money not mine. And if I pay the minimum of $25 / month I am good!

9. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

no, I'm being a butt-nik about it all. Selling gear does not mean you can apply that profit to more gear... according to the rules of the challenge... that I may or may not be making up as I go along.

good luck with the tinnitus and the left hand, I know I'll need it. Right now I've been in a working band for a year playing some pretty good gigs and making a CD... but honestly I dont know how long it will last. Or how long I will.

KelvinS1965 likes this.

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    Just off to an open mic, so my avatar Tele will get a work out and I’ll try not to over do the hand and wear ear plugs.

11. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    liquidating unused gear and buying a killer JBL club type PA system for hosting shows(and band practice) time to step up to pro PA gear..it does make a dif...working on a deal of a rig that was put together for a club that never got picked up ..went bankrupt before it even opened up...wife gave approval to just go get it hummm..she is the singer,,so i got great gear..so should she,,just made up my mind...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.