Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

the new GAS challenge - limit yourself for 6 months and then report

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    So I set a limit, no GAS purchases over 30 dollars. This allows, more or less, buying a $25 item online and includes shipping.

I barely squeezed in under the limit with a pickup from GFS.

Wonder how long I can last?

Actually I'm pretty good with what I have now, for my current project. Just cleaning up some old pickguard wiring/pickups and have to send some stuff to an expert here and there...

teletimetx and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm in. I survived the "no pedal purchases year" and it turned out to be a really good exercise for me. I really don't have much GAS right now, so I think this time will be easier for me anyway.

I still have one pedal to sell and I might sell my bass and just use one of Mrs. Obsessed's herd, which will finally get me out of the hole from buying my reso 1 1/2 years ago.

Now, just saying up front, if Epi comes out with a double cut LP Junior with a P-90 in TV yellow for $99, then I will fail this challenge in a heartbeat. Just sayin'

This might keep me concentrating on recording where I should be instead of walking through the candy store.:rolleyes:

RetroTeleRod and Wrong-Note Rod like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    OK. I'm in. I haven't made a purchase other than strings and batteries for my tuners in 10 months. The last thing I bought was a Fender packaged set of VN pickups complete with pots, caps and resistors for my Strat. I'm just now getting my settings where I want them. I was pleased at losing the hum right after I got them. Now I know how to get my music out of them. The next thing I'm contemplating is fret leveling for my Telecaster. I've got some cowboy chord grooves from my finger picking that seem to be causing fret buzz up the neck. A new amp or a new guitar? No thank you. I'm pretty well set with what I have. Pedals? The only pedal I use is my Keeley 4 knob compressor. Maybe a chorus pedal but only after the fret work. I don't trust myself to do the leveling and crowning. I'll do a good enough job but I want perfect.

Obsessed and Wrong-Note Rod like this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I bought an amp two years ago. Since then, I've bought strings, a capo, lemon oil, steel wool (#0000), strap locks, a guitar stand, and picks - all under $25.

Killin' it on this challenge!

Obsessed and Wrong-Note Rod like this.
  5. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I'm borrowing an amp from a friend, think I'm going to see if I can buy it off of him but other than that I haven't spent more than $30 on a purchase in several years. I don't need much and Santa Claus takes care of the occasional pedal. Challenge accepted.

Wrong-Note Rod and Obsessed like this.
  6. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'll join you, just made my last purchase for the next six months over $30.

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.
  7. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    This is easy...I'm not gear obsessed at all. I buy strings, and replace the occasional cable - that's it. I don't have the best gear in the world, but I'm happy enough with it that I can focus on just playing for now.

I suspect this would change if I had a ton of expendable income.

Wrong-Note Rod and unixfish like this.
  8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    As long as I remain broke...I'm in. :lol:

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    No problem!
    I just bought four sets of NOS Tele saddles on ebay, for total $35 plus $5 shipping.
    That's four purchases though, right?

I did buy a body for $68 plus $20 so after that I gotta keep it in check for this challenge. The threat of running out of money for heating oil this winter is a strong motivator...

Oh shoot my Birthday and Christmas are coming, and family knows I don't want more clothes.
    If they give me money for cool gear, does that count against me?

RetroTeleRod and Wrong-Note Rod like this.
  10. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I cut out parts for a new pedal board yesterday, but that's all out of my existing lumber pile.
    Might need some things from the hardware store, but hardware isn't gear so it doesn't count.

Right?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ...are you off your meds? Should we be concerned?

We're talking 6 months, so nothin' until April 11, 2019; nothing but strings and such, hey, I'm in, but man, if some stupid deal comes along, I'm open to some serious ridicule and gear slut shaming. Because, hey, I'm 66 and there ain't much left but gristle.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I think maybe some clarification is needed with this challenge. With @telemnemonics comment about b-days and Xmas, I would assume if you are gifted a piece of gear, you are still "good" in the challenge, but if you get money or gift card for gear ... ?

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah!
    See?
    We need some clarification on the deets of the deal!

Actually I'm thinking of asking my in laws for a micro lathe to start winding pickups, but they live in Ireland and in many cases prefer to pay pal money that I can buy the item with, even though they really want to buy me the thing themselves.

Maybe the fact that a micro lathe is not guitar gear, combined with the fact that they ar giving me money for that item, will get me the loophole I need to buy buy and buy with impunity.

Bearing in mind that in addition to the lathe I need parts for a turn counter and some spools of wire. Plenty of dead pickups already on hand so technically I don't need to buy any actual guitar specific parts.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    My last purchase was about a year ago, so I'm good. However, I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a Tube Screamer. There's one on CL right now for $50, but it's a bit of a drive to get it. Sometimes my laziness is the best defense against GAS.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I recuse myself. I am incapable of governing my passions...

16. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    It's gonna be hard to find an LP traditional for $25 :(

Obsessed likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I just re-bought half the pedals I purged in my last round of "I have too much crap."

And turned over all of my electrics in the last year.

I imposed a strict rule that I simply won't acquire anything that I can't cover fully in trade. Not sure how that fits in. But if I comply, I think I'll be much happier, TBH.

All of the recent pedal turnover has been to mess around on my tiny home amps. My gigging rig seems to be set after a lot pain and nonsense, and navel-gazing.

I'm an idiot.

18. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I could really use a new pedalboard case and dual electric guitar case like the Mono M80. I never invest in practical things like good cases because whenever I get some gear money, I buy pedals instead because they're more fun. So, I want in on the challenge. My personal challenge shall be: No pedal purchases for at least six months. I can and should continue to spend money on gear, but it must be expenditures that make my existing gear safer or better--cases and amp and guitar maintenance.

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.
  19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

Ha! I'm almost as old as you but I look at it differently - I played my first gig in 1978 and if I havent impressed anybody by now, new gear isnt going to do it.

My ears are shot with tinnitus and my poor old left hand is giving me a lot of grief lately. I keep having these recurring thoughts about chucking it all or somehow downscaling it to an extreme

But its hard to let go. So thats part of what this is... if I'm really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel after all these years then maybe its time to stop investing my retirement money into it...

teletimetx and KelvinS1965 like this.
  20. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Money’s been tight lately, so I might play along... but I already have my eye on a $32 DOD Gunslinger. Oh well...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.