Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The new G&L Doheny for Surf?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by TeleFunk Man, Oct 1, 2017.

1. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

I love Slacktone!!!!!!!!!

tap4154 likes this.

2. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    The short answer is Yes. The G&L DFV is a great tremolo system for surf style music. I have a Jazzmaster, and Jaguar, and a G&L LE-2. The LE-2 is DFV equipped and I get good surf tones out of the big MFD pickups. These on the Doheny hold the promise of the same, but more so. Give us a tone report once you buy it!

3. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very true, You'd think that with that surf,surf,surf first paragraph that their demo guy would be proficient enough in that style to give it up to, if nothing else, sway the likely Jazzmaster and Jaguar buyers.

4. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    These just came out on 9/12; I don't think there are more than a handful of them actually out in the "wild".

That is their usual demo guy; the demo really sounds a lot like his demo last year of an ASAT Special. I know the marketing text hypes it as a "surf" guitar, but with the MFD pickups it's probably going to fall closer to all those "mash-up" guitars that use the Jazzmaster body but have either humbuckers or P-90s and a tune-o-matic bridge (or a Bigsby).

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Just my opinion - but twang isn't as important for surf as reverb. Lots and lots of reverb.

One example - Dick Dale played a strat, plays a strat.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Hexabuzz likes this.

6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I agree. The pickups may approximate a surf sound, but for anyone trying to get a 60s surf sound I don't think these pickups will do it. I think just about any single coil guitar might get close enough, but I'd swap pickups if I had one of these.
    I think any 50s style strat with 50s style pickups will get a better surf sound.

7. Kelsey

Kelsey Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Judicious use of the PTB controls might do the trick.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    At one time MFDs were all I had, and I surfed in the desert just fine. I'm no purist so what do I know. I do know this, though:

233CA79A-86DA-4387-986B-5F54593E5517-4489-000003E2DCF9FFA5.png

TeleFunk Man likes this.

9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    They are the most over-looked part of the Vintage Tone formula.
    They have more Metal in them than Roundwounds thus. More Volume.

Slide Guitar breeze too.
    Try them at least once.

10. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

More volume with flatwounds? I have them installed on my ES-175 and they seem to make the guitar less loud than roundwounds. Also harder to bend. Great for jazz though.

11. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yeah I tried flatwounds once. Yeuch... never again!;) (YMMV...)

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    TeleFunk Man, AAT65
    Maybe because I used .011's.

Back in 'the day', Flats were all they had.

At least you can say you tried them for yourselves.

13. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks to the OP for the heads up on this model. However, I already have several guitars that work well for surf music so I doubt one of these will find its way into my collection.

What I will say is that G&L's trem system works much better than Fender's 6-point trem. While I have a USA Strat with the much better 2-point trem, most of the time when I need a Strat I grab one of my G&L Legacy guitars.

JagInTheBag likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.