Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Neo - non-traditional build warning

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by John Nicholas, Jul 8, 2017.

1. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    My name is John, I'm addicted to building guitars...

Whoops, wrong forum... :D

It seems that my way of looking at guitar building is not shared with many. That's okay, I like to do things a bit different. In future builds I will use alternative woods, materials, carbon fiber and even Richlite. So if different "bothers" you, this might not be the thread for you.

With the disclaimer out of the way, here goes.

Very interesting that in Joel Dantzig's Premier Guitar column for August 2017 he talks about design and where it comes from. In the article he quotes John Lennon, who is attributed with saying "amateurs borrow, professionals steal". Yes, this design is "stolen" from other designs that came before it.

In this case from the Strandberg and Ormsby Goliath. But unlike those who build painstaking replicas of iconic ( or not so iconic) guitars, my design is influenced by these others.

If you take a moment and look up these two guitars you will see that they are both headless and use some form of multiscale. This prototype was build to test a concept, so it was purposely made with a headstock, which most will be able to see the influence of.

In the future the prototype very well may become headless and possibly even multiscale.

The design of this was extremely tough for me, because its so difficult for me to draw using a computer. It would be awesome if my real world drawing skills were good, but most of that looks like a 3rd grader drew it...

So a buddy was enlisted (he offered actually) to draw it up using the computer. MpacT (Mike) is super awesome. He not only drew some designs for this prototype, but has been a cheerleader and voice of reason throughout the process. Thanks buddy! I couldn't have done it without you!

IMG_1761.JPG

Mike took my original drawing, created a computer drawing, sent it to me, then it was modified... Mike was very patient! :)

Neo design.png

This was getting closer to the design in my head, but the horns looked too much like a Stratocaster. So the design was printed out full size and tracing paper, newsprint, pencils and erasers were used to refine the design.

IMG_1892.JPG

The one in the middle was really close to my vision.

It was time to create a template.

IMG_1919.JPG

For the prototype Neo poplar was chosen for the body. It's lightweight, easy to work (this guitar was going to have some unusual carving) and the body was to be painted.

Since there was some poplar on the wood shelf a couple of blanks were glued up and routed to thickness.

IMG_2031.JPG

Then the template was traced onto the poplar blank and cut out using the new Laguna bandsaw. This saw is absolutely awesome! My cutting skills are improving because of using it.

IMG_0477.JPG

To be continued.......

chemobrain, MM73, richa and 6 others like this.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    It looks better 'off paper', than on. By a good bit.
    I would have passed on the drawing.

John Nicholas likes this.

3. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I agree 100%. Which is why I built a prototype. I wanted to see it and feel it in my hands before deciding on next steps.....

4. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    Good work buddy!

5. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Thank you!

6. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Since this is a prototype and there was no way to know whether the design would work in the real world, inexpensive hardware was ordered from China.

I'm of two minds when it comes to cheap hardware, it's cheap, although shipping times are three to four weeks. This part makes a build very inexpensive.

What I hate about cheap hardware? It's cheap. After this set of hardware I don't think I will ever buy cheap tuners again.

Strangely the bridge was really, really good. The price? $4.98 including shipping!

Here's the seller of the bridge and other hardware I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-String-El...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The tuners suck. The screw in nuts were almost seized on each one and it took so very long to get them to tighten up properly. Plus they turn so easily, there's no way that the tuners will hold the guitar in tune.

If the prototype works the way it should, the tuners will be replaced.

Here's a photo of the hardware purchased from the E-bay seller above.

IMG_1695.JPG

Mat UK likes this.

7. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Lookin good John . Its pretty cool to go from design to prototype , like a proud Papa ;)

John Nicholas and mPacT like this.

8. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Ad Free + Supporter

Jul 12, 2005
    east of East St Louis
    It is a bit non traditional..........could be very cool in the end.

9. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    So very true! Thank you Herb.

10. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    It's very non-traditional! I think it's very cool, but I'm biased!

11. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I bought a 8/4 piece of flatsawn maple for the neck. It was ripped into two pieces and glued together to make the neck 1/4 sawn. An accent of walnut was added to the center. The blank was big enough to make two necks.

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2025.JPG

Rough cut to shape on the bandsaw.

IMG_2026.JPG

Sanded the back of the headstock on the drum sander.

IMG_2029.JPG

Te shape of the headstock had to be modified a liitle as the curve that was designed would not work using a 1/2 inch router bit.

IMG_0483.JPG

Spent quite a few hours slotting fingerboards. The one for the Neo is rosewood and on the right, the rosewood fingerboard on the left is for another build. Scale is 25.5

IMG_0566.JPG

12. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY

13. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Ad Free + Supporter

Jul 12, 2005
    east of East St Louis
    Reminds me a bit of a less pointy Warlock

14. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Routed out the truss rod channel and drilled the tuner holes. Getting ready to glue the fingerboard onto the neck.

IMG_0823.JPG

The obligatory clamp shot...

IMG_0824.JPG

My method for routing the body sides is to use a 2 inch Whiteside spiral up-cut bit mounted in my router table. I cut very close to the line with the band saw. Then I feed the blank and template into the router bit with a slow, steady, but firm manner. No tearout!

It takes some practice to feed it properly. I find that it was very much a feel thing to get it just right. And you have to be aware of the feedback because different species of wood react differently when applied to the router bit. Curves and tight edges are more like a dance then forcing a piece of wood into a router bit.

IMG_0479.JPG

Yes, this body is poplar and pretty soft, but I've done this on Northern Ash, Honduran Mahogany, Sapele, Alder and Maple all with the same results.

Then it was time to route the neck pocket.

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

Notice the neck pocket has square edges? I like that look. It takes more time to get it just right but here it is roughed out.

Then of course comes the far too soon mockup...

IMG_0852.JPG

Captain Nutslot likes this.

15. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Time to start carving the body. Now this is going to be fun!

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

One area that always has bugged me about bolt on necks is the neck plate area with that huge square transition. Not that I play on this end of the fingerboard all that much, but when you need to slide up to the higher frets for something it's nice to have a gentle transition.

IMG_0871.JPG

More to come....

SweetClyde99, mPacT, RogerC and 3 others like this.

16. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Very pleasing to the eye design!!! I like the shape!!

17. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    John you're making the traditionalist in me cring. I kinda like it.:eek:

Thanks for sharing.
    Oh, and very nice clean work by the way.

Jim

18. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    You are doing a very tidy job!!! I really like this work.:rolleyes:

19. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Wow, what progress! - I'm expecting it to be at the polishing and buffing stage this time tomorrow...

Really like the direction it's heading in, nice work

20. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Thanks Helmut!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.