Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Need For Tweed – 1950s Fender tweed amp tone shootout

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by warrent, Mar 11, 2018.

1. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    The Guitar Magazine

1951 5A3 Deluxe 1959 5E3 Deluxe 1957 5E11 Vibrolux 1956 5E4-A Super (rare 6V6 version)
    1959 5F6-A Bassman

2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    Cool stuff . Thanks

3. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

Thx for sharing, cool amps. Love my Tweed Super amp too.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    No special effects or compression...just a lot of guitar wiggling ;)
    The Super is amazing.
    Interesting how different the Bassman sounds.
    It's weird doing a comparison like that because how to set the tone controls?
    I suppose the Bassman could sound mor like the others with the treble and/or presence rolled off.
    But that tiny bit at the beginning where there is a little lick...I thought, "Bassman!" and it was.
    Such a distinctive sound.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    AlbertaGriff likes this.

5. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    All amp manufactures have been chasing this tone for years. Buddy Holly's Deluxe sounds insane to this day.

6. dogbert

dogbert TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    you can build a tweed 5e3 to original specs, the exact schematics, wiring, diagrams, all available. the thing isn't terribly complicated. nor is any element of the design occulted.

JD0x0 and Chicago Matt like this.

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Cool video. My vote would go to the Super, but the 5E3 and Bassman both made me smile as well.

8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    ^^^^ Yes, I love my Mission 5e3 I built from a kit 6 years or so ago. I love the tweed sound in general and also have a wonderful sounding 57 Twin Reissue. I actually had the opportunity to A/B my 5e3 against a vintage 5a3 and 5e3 in a local shop. All present agreed the Mission sounded the best. Perhaps the old ones needed new caps or something. In any event, that was with a Weber 12a125a speaker in my 5e3 (Weber's take on an old Jensen P12Q). I find it interesting that the Celestion Blue sounded very good in the video. I bought one new (made in Ipswich) for my 5e3 based on the many enthusiastic reviews. Even after 50 hours of break in though, I never got on with the sound. It is very loud which is not a problem, but that upper mid spike is just not to my liking. The Weber is back in and the Celestion sits on the shelf, just another expensive experiment.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Milspec likes this.

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh, how I feel the Need for Tweed! Plural! The Needs for (all of them) Tweeds!

10. dogbert

dogbert TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    I'm glad to hear that a new tweed is spot on. I'm definitely going to build one at some point. there's simply nothing like a tele and a tweed. I might want an attenuator/loadbox and the switched negative feedback mod as well, for recording.

https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm

Chicago Matt likes this.

11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    The Super w/Celestion Golds was my favorite..

Cool video

Chicago Matt and Milspec like this.

12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    No kidding! what's up with all that?

13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I especially would like to hear what the attenuator/loadbox solution would be and how you like it. I use a Bad Cat Unleash for both the 5e3 and the low power Twin (5e8a) and it works very well. It's become an important part of my rig. Great to have the integrated effects loop too. And I agree about the Tele/Tweed combination. Or for that matter, the Strat/Tweed combo. Really hard to beat in my book. I'm not looking for anything else

14. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2011
    USA
    I put four 12" Celestions Blue ALNICO in my 1958 Tweed Bassman cab and they sound better than anything else I tried.

[​IMG]

In this 1959 Bassman I had the original Jensen P10R re- coned from Orange County Speakers back around 2005. They have such a unique tone. The tone stack is the .02 + .1 tone caps ( bassman tone stack) and the 1958 above has the .02 + .02 tone caps ( Tweed Twin tone stack).

The Presence pot in both the 1958, 1959 here have the 25k LIN Presence pot, not the 5K Lin ( as shown in the schematics ).

[​IMG]

stevemc likes this.

15. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

A lot of love for the Super here :). The Super in the vid is the "old one" with 6V6 power tubes, the later ones had 6L6 or 5881 and more power like mine. A fantastic amp with enough power for almost everything. And I´m also very happy with the Weber speakers inside.

16. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

Makes me want to put a Celestion in my 5E3!

Bob

17. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Not in the video, I really like a teeed pro and bandmaster.

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Invent our, that is one beautiful maple cab you have there.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^Indeed it is.

Makes my back hurt looking at it though.

Unbeknownst to me at the time, I had one of the first Bassman reissues with the leather handle (that always broke) and the Eminence speakers. I had spent a bunch of years seeing many blues and country bands come through here with that one commonality - 4x10 BM's - so when they first came out w/ the RI's, I bought the floor model from Evola Music.

One amp I would love to have back...

20. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2006
    Maryland
    I have one of those as well. In 1992, I got it from a guy who ordered it when he heard they were going to start reissuing them. It has served me well for twenty six years. I've replaced the handle more times than I can count. Went through a few speakers as well, seems they used to be affordable not so long ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.