Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The "Maycaster"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Torren61, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Hey thanks! The pickguard is bugging me. I need to redo it. I'm going to use the current pickguard as a template and I'm going to redo it by losing the switch plate, moving the switches up higher and staggering them and installing two 220k pots with one as a volume and one as a tone.

I have to put it off for a few weeks but then I can start the pickguard reboot. I've never made one from a sheet so this will be a lesson. I think I can do this.

2. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Well, I completed this guitar today with the exception that I still need to drill for strap locks, install the slide decal and install the second knob I ordered from Q-Parts.

Here's a few pics to recap. This is the body i bought from an eBay seller.

[​IMG]

This is the purpleheart wood neck i bought that turned out to be junk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the neck I bought from Warmoth. Ebony fingerboard over bloodwood, stainless steel fret wires, Earvana nut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the guitar while it was at SF Guitarworks. They installed the bridge and neck, inlaid the six-pence coin, routed for the Tri-Sonics, made a pickguard and put her together. I didn't trust my own skills and needed some professional help. I wired her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I shelved this project for awhile but finally got back to her. I tried to do a tung oil finish but kept buggering it up. This is what it looked like before I re-decided to do it in red, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I DID choose to do it in red because it wouldn't really be a Red Special tribute if it wasn't red, would it?

[​IMG]

I went with poly and it took a fraction of the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I drilled and wired the new pickguard from WD. I decided to go with six toggle switches instead of slide switches because I knew I could drill round holes, lol. Three for on/off and three for phasing. Two pots. I used 220k log pots exactly like the ones in Brian's guitar. I had to cut the shafts down because they are very long. Brian has a plate mounted low in the control cavity. These are mounted on the pickguard. I used a .022 Sprague black beauty cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    The wiring took some time but it went well. I used Greg Fryer's on/off mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a Tele jack plate instead of the one I had originally. I could have doweled and refinished the old holes but I'm lazy, lol. I kept the edges from the first refinish and just dyed the top. Now the edges looked kinda like binding. Thank you PRS for the idea.

[​IMG]

Stetsbar trem like before. I love this thing. The guitar stays in tune no matter how hard you push or pull the trem bar. Good kit.

[​IMG]

Locking tuners from Kluson.

[​IMG]

The (almost) finished guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I played her and she sound really good. Everything works as it should and no noise. The grounding was successful.

I'm gonna get a couple of friends to put her through her paces because they both play WAAAAY better than me. Clips in a week or two.

Barncaster likes this.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

7. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Sorry for the late post. I probably should have waited until I was completely finished but I was excited Sunday. Anyway, I found the other red abalone inlay Tele knob that I forgot I had and I put that on plus I drilled the strap lock pegs. She's done except for the headstock decal and I won't post that unless I have it when I post some clips.

Here she is all completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That came out GREAT!

Barncaster and Torren61 like this.

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Let's hear it!

Torren61 likes this.

10. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Aug 13, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    Very nice, sir! Well done.

What is "Greg Fryer's on/off mod?" I am considering a three pup setup with mini switches and would love to know. Also, what schematic did you use for the wiring?

John

Torren61 likes this.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    It keeps other pups from cutting out when you switch a pickup on or off.

[​IMG]

12. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I'm trying to schedule a couple of friends to be able to open this guitar up. I have a custom amp with an EF86, two 12AX7 preamp tubes and two EL34s. That'll run through a 1X12 with a Fane A90 speaker. They play much better than me and it'll be fun to listen to :) as opposed to painful when I play. :confused:

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for arranging the demo and making this excellent guitar!

Torren61 likes this.

14. Duggo

Duggo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 8, 2017
    Mill City, Oregon
    Nicely done!

Torren61 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.