Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The "Maycaster"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Torren61, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Torren61

Torren61 TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    This has been a project that has taken about four years to get it to this point.

About four years ago, I bought a set of Adeson, Brian May spec Burns Tri-Sonic pickups. The original idea was to install them in a Strat-style partscaster assembled from American parts. It never got off the ground. There always seemed to be some problem or another which prevented me from continuing. I began to think the whole idea was jinxed. I even put the pups up for sale or trade.

About six months ago, I got an idea and was determined to make this thing happen. I bought a '69 Tele inspired custom made USA body. The body came from a shop here in the US.

I bought a neck from an eBay seller. It was made from purpleheart wood. It turned out to be junk (the curse had struck again). I ordered a custom neck from Warmoth.

The neck is ebony fingerboard over bloodwood. Stainless steel fret wires. Earvana nut. Fender '68 reissue tuners. Custom made waterslide decal (not installed yet). The neck has been Plek'd.

The body is a 1969 Telecaster Thinline style body. Maple burl over mahogany. Custom made pick guard. Inlaid authentic British sixpence coin (Brian May used a sixpence coin as a pick). Adeson Brian May pickups. Bourne 250k pot. Q-Parts red abalone Tele knob. Six slide switches with a custom made black powder coated plate. SwitchCraft output jack. Stetsbar bridge.

I plan to leave the neck unfinished but oiled, install the decal, order and install a custom neck plate, install strap locks and acquire a custom case.

The top three switches are assigned to each pickup to turn them on or off and the bottom three switches change phasing for each pickup. If you have one pickup on and use it's phase switch, it doesn't make any difference in the sound. You must have at least two pickups activated for the phase switches to make any difference.

I'm getting used to the guitar and I may change things if I find I don't like it. I may order an under-pickguard slide switch plate and two 220k pots and install a capacitor. Then I'll have to use the current pickguard as a template and order a different one from WD.

I plan on painting the body with a clear poly as soon as I get a place to do it.

Anyway, here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Wow, that is *** cool. What a great idea. Let us know how it sounds.

3. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

4. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. I thought the coin was a switch as first. Good job.

5. Torren61

Torren61 TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Hey thanks! I'm going to have a friend play it on a tube amp. I'll get a video.

6. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK
    I like that, a lot

Paul

7. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Very unique, love it.

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I thought the may pickups and the thinline would be a great match. The red special is chambered as I'm sure you know. Great job. I am in awe.

9. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    nice guitar.I like "Maycaster"

10. Torren61

Torren61 TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Thanks guys. In the interest of full disclosure, I pretty much just assembled the axe. I had no place nor talent to do the woodwork. I had SF Guitars, here in San Francisco, do the routing. They also lined up and drilled the neck, Plek'd the neck, lined up and drilled the bridge and made the pick guard. I did the rest.

11. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Very cool guitar! That burl on the body is gorgeous! Do we get to hear it?

12. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Very cool, guitar. I really dig the pg shape and all the other details.

13. Torren61

Torren61 TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Thanks for all the kind words guys. Gonna catch up with my buddy tomorrow. I'll make a video or maybe just a sound clip or two then.

14. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

Jun 10, 2008
    Co Down, N. Ireland
    A very tasty combination there, I like it a lot :D

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

16. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston

17. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Sounds fantastic sir! Great job!

18. FreddyS

FreddyS Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2012
    Mexico city
    This guitar looks and sounds great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.