Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The "Lip"

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Tedzo, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    Does anyone know when the protruding lip was removed from the early telies? My neck is '53 and the body is still unknown.....body was refinished, so the lip may have been wacked a bit.
    Any pics on blackguard "lips"? Thanks

Lip.jpg

Attached Files:

• Lip.jpg
      Lip.jpg
      File size:
      435.2 KB
      Views:

2. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    It was less apparent in '53 but made a reappearance in '54 before finally been removed in '55.

3. Lochry

Lochry TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Mar 17, 2009
    Princeton, NJ
    I've seen lips on later ('56 and '57) teles/esquires. Anyone else noticed them? Are we talking about the same thing?

4. petebrown

petebrown Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2003
    No. Cal.
    The body in your pic seems to be lacking the "router hump" in the cutaway right near the lip, too- I'd think that would be difficult to sand away. I don't know when the lips disappeared-

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    My 56 has a lip similar to that in the picture

6. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Here's my refinished '56 showing a lip and the routers hump petebrown mentioned.

56_tele_lip.jpg

Tedzo likes this.

7. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    Thanks, nice shot of the router hump.

8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    As far as the lip, I think it has to do with the neck width. I have a '73 Custom and a '73 Deluxe and they do show a lip too. I have a '78 Custom that has no lip and an '89 AV52RI that has no lip. I also have a 80's MIJ 63 reissue that sports a lip.

I'm not sure you can tie the removal to any specific date, but I'm confident if you can someone will be by to straighten me out.

Here's a shot of my '73 Custom

73_tele_custom_lip.jpg

9. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    To me the specific thing about the lip is that it is bigger at the 17th fret and tapers away toward the 21st fret.

For anyone that doesn't know, you see the "classic" lip because the neck slot on the cutaway side of the body was cut as if the neck had a uniform width. But of course the neck grows wider the further you go toward the 21st fret. The result is more of the neck slot shows where the neck is narrower.

10. petebrown

petebrown Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2003
    No. Cal.
    Here's the lip and routers hump on my '53-

[​IMG]

11. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca

That's the lip that A.R. Duchossoir describes in his great book on Telecaster. Ol' Fuzzy told me that his work is the best. Along with Nacho. Always more to learn.

...thanks Pete.

12. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Thanks petebrown for making the subject clear, I'm awake now.

Tedzo sorry I was off on a tangent. I can see how easy it would be to alter that area and take the hump and/or lip out during a refinish. I'd love to refinish mine to the original color but that is a great argument to leave it as is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.