Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

The level of literacy exhibited on these threads

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bsman, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:32 AM.

1. 24 track

24 track Friend of Leo's

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Hey if your'e thick , just lose a pound or two, then ye be thick no more!

william tele likes this.
  2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    My grammar died years ago, bless her heart. Don't tell anyone, because I get paid to proofread! My small proofreading gigs are mostly for spelling, typos etc. and I'm good at spotting them. It gets out the urge to correct (as if I were really qualified!), so I can relax a bit more on the Interwebs.

So I've learned that unless I'm being paid to do it, correcting people's English is not the path to popularity. Just grit your teeth and smile.

A recent exception: I saw a typo in my dentist's glossy brochure, and alerted the receptionist. She was delighted, as "the gal who writes those is an English major, and she's always correcting me—I can't wait to show her this!"

What editors?! Copy editors seem to be the first to go, even in major publications.

You did that on purpose, didn't you?! :D

This is why it's best to avoid the words "for," "and," "nor," "but," "or," "yet," and "so" following a semicolon; the semicolon replaces them. My English prof was adamant about that.

I was surprised to learn that ancient Greek used no spaces between words! I guess it wasn't a big problem, and I suppose one could get used to it, but no spaces sure slows me down. (I'm a slow reader anyway.)

A few months ago I actually did that on the Ngram! :lol:

I hope I haven't mis-typed or used incorrect grammar in this post! I'm not gonna check, since no one is paying me. :D

xafinity and jackinjax like this.
  3. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    FALSE.

From his Wikipedia entry: "Ellington began listening to, watching, and imitating ragtime pianists, not only in Washington, D.C., but in Philadelphia and Atlantic City, where he vacationed with his mother during the summer months. Dunbar High School music teacher Henry Lee Grant gave him private lessons in harmony. With the additional guidance of Washington pianist and band leader Oliver "Doc" Perry, Ellington learned to read sheet music, project a professional style, and improve his technique."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Sorry but I have no control over the sense of or lack of humor of others....it's all I can do to control my
    own........which is often said to be inappropriate.:cool:

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Hey men, now that you all blew your linguistic wads, may we return to the music?

24 track and william tele like this.
  7. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI

Does sloppy use of the quote function count as thickness?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 9:47 PM
  8. jackinjax

jackinjax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Speaking strictly on behalf of those herein maligned TDPRI members who live South of the Mason Dixon Line, y'all can just kiss our collective Southern Hemispheres! :rolleyes:

Tremade and kuvash like this.
  9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    "Hey men"? What kind of a sexist, narrow minded, skillet licking comment is that?

(There. I just blew my insult behind the internet bravado wad...)

24 track likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Dang, I just ordered and installed 11s on my Yammy SG, when I should have installed some amirite for my tone.

william tele and 24 track like this.
  11. 24 track

24 track Friend of Leo's

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I heard Amirite capacitors give the best tone for tone wood electrics with bipolar cables, using tube based solidstate amps

I forgot you have to wear a cargo kilt and a bumched tee shrit and sandals with socks

kuvash and william tele like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I still don't know where to get cargo kilts and now I don't know where to get amirite caps. I came to this forum to be more informed.

william tele and kuvash like this.
  13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Hey, I just came in from the beach and found this thread. You lot can carry on without me, mate. I'll be down at the pub tossin' back a few cold ones for the rest of the day.

14. bsman

bsman Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    I mentioned nobody in my original post nor any of my following posts. If anybody feels put down, it's his or her own guilty conscience... :)

Alas, this thread has depleted my (limited) store of inspiration, and for the past couple of hours, all I've been able to play are acoustic versions of "Sitting Here in Limbo" and "The Breakup Song".

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 11:25 PM
  15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Quite so. Mea culpa was offered in an earlier post...

16. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Holic

As a former English major, I see things all the time that make me cringe.

Your instead of you're. Don't even get me started on U and UR. Fine for texts but when posting online...
    Seen instead of saw.
    Gifted instead of given.
    Learnt instead of learned.
    Burnt instead of burned.

And the frequent misspellings of Epiphany, Startcaster or Gibbons.

17. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Oct 15, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Every. Single. Time.

18. 24 track

24 track Friend of Leo's

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
  19. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Your absolutely correkt. Their is just know wey this kinds of thingses shold bee aloud. Kil dem ahll!!

tonytrout and kuvash like this.
  20. Are you certain you were an English major? The Brits will be along presently to inform you about "learnt", but "burnt" is an alternate form to "burned" in teh USofA.

tonytrout likes this.
  21. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    People have talents in different areas. Think about it, we all had English class, math class, shop class, history, science and so on. Same teacher for 20-30 students. Not every kid did well in every class. In fact some exeled in some and not in others. (I didn't do well in one, if you don't know which one, you didn't do well in English either)

Simple fact is, we can't all be English majors.
    Who would support us ? :)

One last thing. As horrible as my English skills are I even notice some pretty poor use of the written language online.

william tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.