Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

The level of literacy exhibited on these threads

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bsman, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:32 AM.

1. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Roly Sussex is a linguist who has a spot on Oz radio and a column in the local newspaper. He often emphasises that language is a constantly evolving, and that in the longer term there is no right and wrong. I've heard in comment that everyone will be writing "textese" in a few years time, and it doesn't seem to worry him at all.

Obsessed likes this.
  2. esseff

esseff Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2014
    East Midlands, UK
    Cor, blimey, well I niver! This fred ain't 'arf stirred up a cornet's vest. :p
    My annoyances are 'boss-speak' cliches, such as 'blue sky thinking', 'giving 110%', 'touching base', 'mission-critical', 'bring to the table' etc. Group-infectious and quite laughable. Okay, yah!

h2odog likes this.
  3. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    (Photo of the Three Stooges intended as a biting rebuke)

Apparently, spelling, grammar, and composition are lost arts...[/QUOTE]

OP: Thanks for conferring your critique and verdict upon all of us. Next time you want to communicate primarily in pictures, however, choose a topic other than grammar.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Is it safe come in,are the policemen's gone yet?:(t

Piggy Stu likes this.
  6. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Two points:

"should have said", but DID you?

And ... those who can use the technology makes the rules :p

7. jackinjax

jackinjax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    ...?

8. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Halfway there?

9. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Time to be the bad guy.

Look, the idea that "language changes" doesn't require anyone to conclude "ah what the hell, anything goes."

Language doesn't just express things: it describes things. It's very good for languages to be able to describe things precisely. Sure, for everyday use, play away and tell Mrs. Grundy the Grammar **** to go stuff it.

But let's not forget that vocabulary and structure can convey things sometimes with exquisite precision, and it's great that English (tooting the native horn here) is an omnivorous beast with a vocabulary that DWARFS every other language's, and its grammatical system is so flexible! There's a damn good reason English is the standard medium for international science and business.

So if we lose what some people call grammatical "niceties," we lose precision and the power that comes with it. That's a loss for civilization, and it does no good to beat our chests with rebellion and deny it. I mean, beat the chest and deny it -- knock yourself out. It's good to be free and make language do what you want.

But don't pretend the outcome will always end up good. You can over-simplify things, coarsen things, and forget the good things.

I have a soft spot for Mrs. Grundy. It's the same soft spot that I have for machinists like Marc Rutters who sweats the small stuff, and for players like Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, and Wes Montgomery -- all of whom did us a favor by sweating the grammar and vocabulary of music.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    IMG_3087.JPG

src9000, jackinjax and Tony Done like this.
  11. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? i have really been as far as look like more want than can please have do. Then we are as should far to decide as look like to go when we thanks have done really. For happen, choose mass incognito really full done well. And as for walking in as far to all, should happen with now and will find total. Tall right like hook gas road happen total what hamster running fix. Lampshade with to car drive have look so chord can have what as seashell glasses turn. Purchase brace aspirin tile water paint bridge automobile the who of locomotive pepper. Salt make bicycle wristwatch spin of wind fingers swith to with incense pillow ibuprofen. Chain why elbow noodle tire keyboard bed sweater pants doorknob make? Cheesy tiger how brace swimming to noodle why elbow chain chase bed core make broomsticks! Why refridgerator anyone knew television carpet for jumping where who! What went as to when another as many milk have surrounded mouse so can't there be! Where dewdrops sauna barbecue hot tub swimming suit porkchop top hat? Beards rain funny for not treadmill ping pong forever make as with when boat crouch?. Grammar what destroyed towel razor explosion boots hat sunglasses for anyone to shirt. Right off can twist make paper so airplane cloud socks with not could shake up! Who really did as like Iraq South America maps afford like such as poor. Market measure do with sparkle France to draw find so want. Nobody really far too decided to use either seem to go well or has been? Follow with anyone for look like can be neither would should find. Also decided to use the people, that is going to look. Blink on for knowing not decide how far find was. Then find and follow all that, should be. Approve, Yoda would with what can has many look how. Glass lamp shade car drive string shell you can see what. Hear achieve cool type curtains lights door poster as could do. Mischief like what done at where what place guilty message everything scoot. Shush sneaky where like look how what drew is drive any carpet. Kermit and swervin McDermott UV to learn ' on the side of hermit's for. Sun calling tell dream I am rock true who go look dance zoo. Behold, I some have many hole snowmobile wheel spokes family now, I have made something if bar screen box rectangle, however hereforsooth post wall floor shaken unearthly. Tornado, across shall hide to many every decide computer, up to hike to go as when triangle circle - will hence addle can puddle. That's when I turned around, observed hatch car pole lake fish duck who like what. Cool as find looking toes gloves, what what duck feet wouldn't so as jump. Some canola oil burners, green coat wall surfers corduroys as securities mattress juxtaposition note from where? Story tangent point with light red floor tennis flannel so walk in bounce when write time? Pencil paper can just float cold socks who really blink inside wheels Norm MacDonald. Bro scissors beat barely warm hairband where chips table spin marble. Spin marble antelope headband win hairclip scuba mask. Wanna do as decide sprint to far gold try have many where can do ears. Who could really dark shadow, can do ears silver spoon! Tell fork where how, back will look as speak try tail!

12. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    You will have to excuse my lack of sophistication.
    The only learning I had was as an apprentice to a
    plumber,I was able to master the required smart
    stuff for that however.
    1.Payday's on Friday
    2.Crap flows downhill
    3.Don't bite your fingernails

jackinjax and Bill Moore like this.
  13. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's

When I noticed this thread I figured it would quickly turn into a typical TDPRI D-list whizzing contest. Since it did so, some of it's pretty damn funny.

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    What did this say before you flipped it twice in google translate? It reads like the instruction manual from a Chinese lawnmover

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I see Paul McCartney is still productive.

He just announced a song he wrote Yesterday.

16. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    The level of literacy exhibited on these threads

The title is an incomplete thought, and doesn't convey any useful information. If the title had a context, 'on' would be improper.

jackinjax and Boomhauer like this.
  17. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    That's the actual text of a conversation I had one time over instant messenger. Another good one was where me and a buddy typed everything one key to the right...
    idr yjod sd sm rcs,[;r/
    (use this as an example)

18. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Boomhauer, were you raised around lead based paints?o_O

19. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2016
    Sthlm, Sweden
    There wouldn't be any bumched shrits without misspelled words. :(:mad:

20. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I want a Chinese lawnmover!

21. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My ex brother-in-law made a bunch of friends down there in Australia and because of my house being 6 hours closer to an international airport, I hosted a lot of aussies, until my BIL could pick them up. I love the unique twist on the English language and don't recall any mis communications. I don't know the history of how the language evolved down there, but it has always fascinated me. In some way I see today's evolution in the states being very similar ... and that's a good thing. Whereas, while working in Japan, I found that their written language so complex that communication was difficult even amongst themselves.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.