Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The latest eBay debacle...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yeah, this is the area that I get nervous about using eBay, but let's see how it ends up. 100%/400 items? It should be a good outcome and you will be just a tad more hesitant next time. My wife had a similar problem, but it resolved okay and about the only thing that suffers is your pre excitement comes down a bunch of notches temporarily.

Don't worry, be happy.

2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    After reading the description of the scarcity, and desirability of the item in question I am reminded of an incident which might be similar.
    I bought a mixing console in Reverb. It was a 16 channel 8 bus mixer at a fair price.
    Sent the money.
    In this case, the guy had put "Free Shipping"in the ad, but said it was a mistake, so right away, we have a dispute over the shipping charges.
    This went on for several days of back and forth during which I offered to send him more money to just sell me the darn thing.
    Finally he admits that he already sold it on eBay. Got the money back. I ended up buying the same board from Music go round in a 24/8 for less money.( still rather have the 16)
    It is possible that the guy thought that someone was going to pay him a premium on the rare item and that fell through, or eBay's threats convinced him to let the Op have it.

soulman969 likes this.

3. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Well, in the interest of full disclosure, what I bought was an Ultimate Blues Tone Capsule for my Roland Blues Cube Artist amp.

Again, nothing terribly rare or exotic, but right now, Roland is ridiculously back ordered on them, and nobody has them in stock. Except an eBay Japan seller, and they're $258 there, so I'll pass, thank you.

It was a straight up auction, and I got it for $165, which is about 80% of new ($199) which I don't think any seller has any right to complain about.

He was charging $12.75 for priority mail, and honestly, for as small as they are (original packaging is smaller than a boxed pedal), I thought that was a bit of a rip off, but again, it was supposed to be expedited, and I was still at less than new, so I was happy.

Then all this BS happened...

I get that people list items locally, and on eBay and Reverb at the same time, but it's shady dealings when you play both sides against the middle, and downright dishonest when you back out on a done deal just because somebody waved a few extra dollars under your nose.

4. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    The seller's playing the game. He can claim he never saw the refund request and shipped it. Ebay cant refund it because he shipped it. How many guys would run that scam and request a refund and keep the item? Not you of course, but people would do it. I would refuse delivery. Dont even open it. Return to sender.

oldfish likes this.

5. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    If I refuse delivery, eBay says I forefeit the Money Back Guarantee - I need to receive it, then return as "Item not as described" to get my refund.

He saw the refund request and ignored it... Shipped it anyway thinking I would just take it and shut up.

As I said before, when I opened my claim and requested the refund, that should have been the end - eBay refunds my payment, and THEY deal with the seller. Now it's MY problem to take it to the conclusion, or give up and give in...

BrandonIke, Jules78 and soulman969 like this.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I have to side with Hexabuzz on this.

First of all 7 days is a ridiculous period of time for a used item the seller has in his hands and one as small as this should have been boxed and ready to ship before the auction even began. It's an auction for cryin' out loud so you know it's gonna sell and once you've been paid you're obligated to ship. Even more so when you advertise expedited shipping and charge for it.

That package should have shipped on Monday the 18th via Priority Mail and when a week after that there's still no verification of shipping and no communication from the seller then where I come from he's backed out of the deal and it's time to close shop on that transaction and ask for a refund. Only then does the seller ship???? Work issues for a solid week including a Saturday???? My PO is open on Saturdays. Nope. Something doesn't jive here.

Now that I have an understanding of how new ones are hard to get and on back order this smacks all day long of a seller who had a "bird in the hand" sale via Ebay but sought a "two in the bush" better offer locally and played this out as long as he could hoping to get one. If Hexabuzz wouldn't have demanded a refund I can almost guarantee that Tone Capsule still wouldn't be shipped. IMHO this seller was gaming this deal all along. That's what common sense would seem to tell us.

I don't know what's up with Ebay. Maybe they don't want gear sales now that they've had to shave their fees to match Reverb. It's not their prime market and IME there are more hassles with this than there is with other products. It's also been a den for scammers as long as I've ever used it and in this case what Ebay is advising be done is in itself a scam. It's quite possible the Tone Capsule is fine. It's the order processing where the problem was so why suggest an item be tagged as "not as advertised" in order to process a refund.

That's quite possibly a lie and yet it's Ebay whose suggesting it. In fact they're demanding it in order for Hexabuzz to get his full refund. I read about sellers getting similar returns quite often and being forced to comply so how often is this simply Ebay advising buyers to "do it our way" and we'll back you. It seems to me that unless you do their buyer protection isn't worth a damn. So it's lie and we'll give you back your money but don't and we won't. And they wonder why they have scammers buying and selling there. :rolleyes:

I'm done with Ebay as a market place for selling. Their policies are both ridiculous and confusing and seemingly PayPal has gotten even worse with theirs. I no longer use them either.

I'm not here to convince anyone else what to do but Reverb sure as hell seems like a much cleaner deal to me. If you buy you pay within 72 hours or the seller can cancel the transaction. If you sell you have 72 hours to ship or the buyer can cancel the transaction. Reverb Direct holds the funds until the shipper receives the shipment and tracking is supplied to both them and the buyer. If the buyer cancels his funds are returned to him and no one has to lie to anyone to be made whole.

I'm not pretending it's perfect either or that no one ever has a deal go South there. It happens but I've had one non-payment in over 30 transactions and one return and the buyer paid return shipping as well. There was no "not as advertised" It just didn't work out for him as well as he thought it would. That's it. I've never had a buyer try to hold me up for a better price after he bought something and threaten me with bad feedback like I've had on Ebay. That seems to be one of the oldest scams running on Ebay.

I do hope you get it taken care of to your satisfaction Hexabuzz. This whole deal would have me pissed off too.

william tele likes this.

7. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    A lot of sellers dont know what they are doing.

I have bought items and when I inquire days later as to why I havent gotten
    any tracking no., they state they are having trouble finding a box. (WTF?)

This has happened multiple times over the years.

I always reply, "You should have already had the box ready to go before you
    listed the item for sale"

7171551 likes this.

8. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I'm sure a lot of sellers don't...

I'm sure one who has been a member since 2001 with almost 400 feedback DOES...

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Well, the Tone Capsule finally arrived, after 2 weeks...

and...

The seller must have to order his pants special to have room for his gigantic b@lls...

After charging me $12.75 for Priority Mail shipping, the envelope arrives...

With $8.35 postage...

And still no contact...

On with eBay now doing a return and refund...

10. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    And...

Off the phone with eBay...

Despite the fact that eBay says I'm completely in the right, and have opened a return item claim for me, I still have to wait until 10/4 to give the seller a chance to respond.

Only THEN if I'm not satisfied with his resolution can they step in...

I really have no words any more for this runaround...

I guess you get a money back guarantee if you're patient enough to jump through all these hoops...

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Oh, and I guess I might as well add that besides shorting the postage in his favor, he just threw the Tone Capsule box into the tyvek envelope...

No padding, paper, bubble wrap, nothing... Just loose in the thin, oversized envelope.

This is like a 9 x 12 envelope, and the box is, at most 1.5" x 1.5" x 4"...

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Last comment...

I still pretty shocked that he hasn't even made a token effort to make it right, like at least offering to refund the expedited shipping costs...

13. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Who is this seller? I would like to make sure I avoid him/her. Over the years I've bought maybe 15 items on ebay (no selling) and 14 were buy it now. I'm guessing that it's just pure luck that to date I've avoided being corned. I feel for you Hex, a transaction like this would have me way twisted up trying to figure out why somebody thinks it's okay to treat others in such a manner.

Your seller is the kind of guy that when you meet them you save your dog the trouble and bite them yourself.

Hexabuzz likes this.

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Thanks, @MickM

I've really been knotted up about this whole thing - I've been willing to give him every chance to respond, comment, whatever, but it just seems like he simply doesn't care.

You would think, to at least keep the sale going, he would have offered some concession or discount, but nothing...

So... He's Going to have to refund the sale price, the postage, AND pay for the return shipping...

How is this in any way a good thing for him?

Still scratching my head, but at least it will be settled soon, and I can move on...

15. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Sounds like you're dealing with an idiot, and yeah, eBay is frustrating to deal with. I had a similar situation recently. Bought a pedal. Seller didn't ship for a week and I opened a case with eBay to get a refund. Then he said sorry for the delay and he'd ship it right out, at which point I couldn't get a refund so I thought fine, I'll take the pedal. When I got it it didn't work. The seller did refund my money immediately though.

16. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    One thing to remember when buying on eBay is that many times, these aren't professional sellers. They have jobs, families, other activities, and such. Buy with that in mind and one won't be as disappointed because life gets in the way sometimes. As far as shipping goes, I know a lot of sellers charge extra for shipping because ebay fees are so high and they don't get charged for shipping. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is. He's definitely in the wrong for shipping slow and ignoring your refund request, and if you want to return the item you have been looking for over a few bucks and some slow shipping, I understand and suppose that's up to you.

If the item is what you want, and it's just slow with a guy who isn't responding, I'm not sure why you'd want to return it. If it's just to stick it to the guy, then meh. Your call. I'd probably keep it and leave appropriate negative feedback. In the end, it's your transaction and you can do what you will.

17. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    And more nonsense...

Why does eBay allow this situation to drag out like this?

I got this email yesterday:

Your return for Roland / BC TC-UB Blues Cube Ultimate Blues Tone Capsule has been delivered to the sellers address. The seller should issue your refund by Oct 13, 2017. If you do not receive your refund by this date then you can ask us to step in and help.

And what about all those horror stories from sellers who say that eBay deducted money from their accounts immediately to satisfy sellers who had a complaint? That's clearly not happening here...

This seller will have my money for FOUR WEEK this Saturday...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.