Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The latest eBay debacle...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hexabuzz, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    9/16/17 5:59PM - Auction ends - I win

9/16/17 6:01PM - Pay in full with PayPal

9/20/17 5:13PM - Message seller as to status of shipping item. It has now been 4 days with no info.

9/20/17 8:30PM - Message from seller apologizing for delay because of "work problems". Says they will ship the next day, and send tracking info.

9/26/17 7:30AM - Open claim with eBay for non-shipment of item. Choice of refund or item - I request refund. In comments - "I do not want the item - I want a full refund"

9/26/17 12:17PM - eBay message from seller's account- Item has shipped.

9/26/17 1:30PM - Contact eBay, who tells me that I now need to receive the item. If I refuse it, I lose my buyer protection. I must then file an "Item not as described" claim after receipt, and seller must issue postage paid return label and refund purchase price.

Nice to see that eBay really has my back on this one. Where is all of the support? Everyone says eBay always sides with buyers, takes money for refunds from sellers, etc. By the time this shakes out, it will be over 2 weeks I am without item OR funds.

Oh, and no reply from message to seller as to why he disregarded the refund request, and shipped the item.

Also, now I'm worried that he will try and weasel out of the deal in some way - I plan to fully video and document the opening of the package to make sure that he really sent the item in the "like new" condition as described, and doesn't try to say I'm trying to scam HIM...

Not happy...

P.S. This is an eBay member since 2001 with 100% feedback on almost 400 transactions. I get that people have bad days, and had he responded or reached out in any way to talk about it, I would have been happy to listen. In the early going, I just would have been happy to have had a refund of the $12.75 in "Expedited Shipping" charges, since he didn't ship within the window, but at this point I just want to completely wash my hands of this.

2. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

**** eBay. I closed my account a while back when they started adding the shipping and customs fees. There's no control over shipping costs. One seller can charge 4x higher than the next seller even for same item in same location. It's ridiculous.

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Yes, that's the wisdom of the internet, but it isn't true across the board. I've had occasional problems with eBay deals, and while they usually get worked out, eBay can be flakey about things. Keep at them, odds are they will eventually sort it out.

4. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Only had a couple times deals went south on there, when I filed complaints/opened cases they sided with the sellers. Every time, even when the sellers were totally in the wrong, misrepresenting items as rebuilt or new.

Had 1 seller from SE Asia mark it as shipped. 30+ days later (after it should have arrived according to their own estimates) I emailed them it hadn't arrived. They apologized and said they would ship it again.

Another month later and I still didn't have item. Emails went unanswered, and it was too late to open a case or leave negative feedback.

5. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So at the end of the day, you will end up with the item you wanted, at a price you were OK with, and had to wait a couple of weeks to get? As long as the item arrives in the condition described, I don't know that this rises to the "debacle" level. I would probably be ticked too, to have to wait that long after paying a shipping upcharge, but when it is all said and done hopefully you will be in a good place. Keep us posted.

Chicago Matt and nojazzhere like this.

6. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Well, if I still wanted the item after waiting this long, I would be fine with just getting it sorted, but that's not the point.

I DON'T want it any more, and it's my choice about how I want it resolved, and in this case, I want my money back.

I wanted the item two weeks ago, and not after having such a bad experience trying to get it.

Sorry, but I can't just let it go with an "all's well that ends well", and no consequences for someone who had no integrity in the sale.

This isn't some sort of buyers remorse, regretting what I had done 5 minutes after the sale...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    soulman969, william tele and dr_tom like this.

7. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    While my attitude is more of that of DSutton, I DO agree with you about shipping charges. That's why I favor Amazon, Reverb, GC/MF, craigslist and of course, my local music shops of all kinds.

I only go to ebay when I can't find something I need anywhere else. Usually that old Volvo parts. But even those I found an independent seller for.

8. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    You never know, the fertility statue may be so nice in person that you will actually want to keep it.

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Believe me, I would have much rather purchased new, and from a retailer, but this is something that although currently in production, is out of stock everywhere, and back-ordered for months. Even Sweetwater can't say when it will be back in stock.

So... Seemed like a good idea at the time and the seller's reputation certainly didn't prepare me for this kind of behavior. I've been treated better by the seller I just bought my Catalinbread Talisman from, who was brand new with zero feedback.

10. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I'm fully stocked up on those...

11. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've had a few shady sellers from China who took a long time to ship, and a few not at all, but I've always gotten either a refund from Ebay if the seller disappeared or the item as described even though it took a month to get it. What bothers me more is if the Post Office doesn't leave the item in the parcel lockers in my building lobby (if it's a small item, like a pedal) or doesn't leave it with the resident manager if it's too large, and I then have to request redelivery. Of course, sometimes all the parcel lockers are already full, or the resident manager isn't available. So, I guess I'm nit picking. I'm learning to be more patient. I also don't like when an item is described as "new other" but when it arrives is clearly used. And I've had some pedals arrive DOA because seller didn't test it before shipping.

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    It's really tough, too, with PayPal, to get a second "Verified Address", like your work address. I would much rather have my stuff shipped there, and know it will be at least signed for, and kept track of until I can get it instead of just left on my porch, or worse, the dreaded card where you have to set up a new delivery, or go fetch it yourself.

I also had a bad experience recently with USACG where I bought a set of pickups, and specified my work as the shipping address, but they still sent it to my house, and it was left there on the porch, where anybody could have easily walked off with a small box worth a couple hundred dollars.

And when I complained about it, not even a response to say "oops, sorry..."

13. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    ebay are thieves .

they straight up stole 200$ from me and told me to not contact them anymore.

i think if anybody want to know how they operate , try their customer service loops.

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    As someone who has bought and sold a ton of stuff on EBay, PayPal recommends shipping within 7 days of payment in order to maintain your 'seller's protection". If you've paid an upcharge for overnight or two day shipping or something like that, yes, it should be sooner. But if it's just general shipping, it may take a while. Yes, most people ship it within a day or two, but unless that's on the posting there's nothing requiring sellers to get it out quickly. Most businesses ship fast, but individual sellers may not.

dented likes this.

15. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I always allow more time to ship if buying from a private party, 'cause I figure they've got a job to go to. If I'm buying from a business (even if it's in China) then that is their job, so I expect faster shipment.

16. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    But that's exactly why, as a seller, eBay makes you state "handling time" as well as how you're shipping.

The seller, not me, said it was expedited shipping, and charged accordingly for it.

The auction stated, within a range, of when the item should arrive.

If he couldn't live up to the terms of the auction, which IS a binding contract, then he shouldn't have specified what he would do.

I did nothing more than call him on failing to do what he agreed to do as part of our contract, and there should be consequences more than "oops, sorry"

soulman969 likes this.

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Yes, you're right on this one. I didn't realize it was expedited and he charged for it. That's bogus.

soulman969 and Hexabuzz like this.

18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Seller would not provide response after sale.

4 days later seller promised to ship on following day.

6 days later buyer has no confirmation and files for refund

Seller receives the refund request and treats is as simply a reminder to ship item and ships it.

This is wrong in anyone's book and there's no way this seller should have a 100% feedback.

19. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I understand. Sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta' do. Needed a spray nozzle for an old Volvo a while back. My usual place didn't have them. So ebay it was. I just avoid them because I think they need to regulate shipping prices, and don't have confidence they will cover me against a bad seller or buyer. I was burned by a dishonest buyer some years back.

Hexabuzz likes this.

20. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I'd like to know why, when I filed my claim and checked "Refund" instead of "I want the item" that that wasn't the end, refund AUTOMATICALLY issued, and seller sorts out the mess with eBay.

Why am I the one who has to wait for the refund? Seems more like blaming the victim than the perpetrator.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.