Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Klon Clone Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by JayFreddy, Apr 26, 2018.

1. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I can only tell you that they both have the charge pump chip, which doubles the voltage rails to 18v for greater headroom, dual TL072 op-amps, and dual gang gain pot, which keeps the same percentage level of clean mixed in with the dirt as you turn up the gain, which are all aspects of the original Klon design. I can't tell you whether the whole schematic layout, parts used, or other details of these Klones stay true to the original. But, I care much more about whether I like the way they sound, rather than how accurate they are.
    I do know that the Crème Brulee, Bad Horse, and Clone Central are so similar sounding that if I were blindfolded, and someone else switched between the three while I played, I don't think I would be able to tell which is which.
    From what I can recall of the one you're getting, I think it's a bit brighter than the others, so with the gain and tone cranked up, it maybe sounds a bit more trebly. Otherwise, I probably couldn't tell it from the other three either.

2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Tele-Dave, when yours arrives, would you mind taking a picture of the wiring? I would appreciate that very much.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I love this pedal. Love.

[​IMG]

It's on the super simple but effective giggity board.

[​IMG]

awasson, kevsonic and JayFreddy like this.

4. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Got a KTR. Played it. Thought it was OK, but didn't see what the big deal was. A/B'd it with a bunch of my non-Klone OD's, went back to the KTR, liked it a lot more than I had thought, and it ended up staying on the pedalboard.

Heard the RYRA, thought I'd like it more. Got it, pugged it in, liked it more than the KTR. Went back to the KTR, realized it was the better pedal.

So, I'm not going to spend time on the analysis of the why's and the what's of why I like the KTR better, and I'm not going to accumulate Klones. But, there's something nice and live sounding about it that I don't see a whole lot of in other OD's.

5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Just got my Mosky Golden Horse. WOW! Ya know what they say about first impressions. Forecast is yes. I think I’m done amassing Klones. Can’t afford the high end (Mythical, etc., have the popular Centaur clone, it’s not bad). I’m done.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    kevsonic and JayFreddy like this.

6. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    klone3.jpg clone2.jpg s-l160.jpg Here's pics of three of the Klones. The first is the kit one, the second is the Clone Central Centaur, and the third is the Crème Brulee.

JayFreddy likes this.

7. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Please post your opinions of how it compare to the Clone Central Centaur, 'cause my Mosky is still on the slow boat from China.

blowtorch likes this.

8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    I have a Klon Centaur and a KTR. Guess I'm out of the club. If you want a Klon, get a Klon -- the KTR is widely available and to most of us, indistinguishable from the original Klon Centaur. You can find KTRs for reasonable prices if you're patient, and I like my $$$ to go to the guy who created the original. I got my Centaur when they first came out, for $400 before the prices went nuts.

9. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got a RYRA clone that I really like. I don't get caught up in the accuracy debate. It's a great sounding well built product. It really acts like it's an extra gain stage built into your amp. Sometimes I use it as a lead boost and sometimes an always on pedal. I could see keeping two on my board.

JayFreddy likes this.

10. 55er

55er TDPRI Member

May 16, 2016
    Vic, Australia.
    Im very happy with my Mythical OD. Pedals get rotated quiet regularly on this board but the MO always stays.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018 at 1:50 AM

11. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's a pic of the Mosky GH up close. Came in today. Some clips over in the Stomp Box forum.

IMG_20180717_163443594.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 10:34 AM

12. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I've got a Rimrock Mythical Overdrive that is definitely one of my favorite ODs of all-time; especially with a tele: it's super-thick. Balls to the wall.

I call it my "P90 pedal" lol

And I have tried several other klones in the past; none impressed me. But I knew this one was a winner as soon as I stepped on it.

[​IMG]

kevsonic, 55er and JayFreddy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.