Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Klon Clone Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by JayFreddy, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Hey!!!!!! No originals allowed!!! LOL :D

I have a Silver Pony. I believe they were discontinued because the KTR was coming out and BYOC did not want to have a Klone if they were back in production. Please feel free to correct me if my info is wrong.

JayFreddy likes this.

2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    this is one of the best OD pedals ever! so touch sensitive....

3. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    To answer your question of who the maker is, it appears to be some unknown Chinese builder. I've only seen them on Ebay direct from China, and they really don't name a manufacturer, although Shane, from In the Blues, called them Clone Central. BTW, here's a gut shot, showing the charge pump, dual TLO72 op-amps, and dual gang gain pot. So, it's a pretty accurate clone from what I can tell. clone2.jpg

JayFreddy likes this.

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I dont anything about electronics and I dont know whats going on there, but if this was cloned as close as it can be, I wont be able to get my card out fast enough and order this!

but I dont want to shave some funds off the Tumnus Deluxe funds for this though.

JayFreddy likes this.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    60 bucks all day long

6. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Without tracing the board and following a schematic for an original Centaur, I don't know if the whole circuit path, or all the component values are correct, but I do know that the things I mentioned are some of the important things that make an accurate clone. I don't really care that much how accurate it is. I just care if I like the way it sounds or not. That one was one of the better clones I've tried, but at the time I had one, I liked the Crème Brulee more. I didn't yet have the Bad Horse or Pegasus, and I have a different amp now, so I'm probably gonna end up buying another one of these to see how it compares.

7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I'm actually very tempted right now, the funds that I have can easily order the Clone Central, and "other" Clone Central which has the input/output jacks on top or the Caline Pegasus.. But I'm very close to the Tumnus Deluxe but its still relatively new that there not much used going around, and if there are, still out of my budget.

of course, there are the more expensive option which is second to my choices, RYRA and the Centura, third. But Im after for a more nag for the buck with a lot of options for the money with a flip of a switch so I want to stay focused on the Tumnus Deluxe.

JayFreddy likes this.

8. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Tone Monk Phoenix

Haven't quite bonded with it though, I can't get it to sound as good as Burgs can..

JayFreddy likes this.

9. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Personally I think the KTR counts as a cloned Klon.

Even though it was designed by Bill Finnegan, it wasn't built by him.

The fact is that they were all designed by Bill Finnegan.

I'm not well versed in schematics or circuit design, but at least to my ears, Klon seems like a new category of tone shaping compared to traditional germanium fuzz/distortion and tube screamer overdrive.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but you can tell the difference when you hear it. The Klon types respond more like an amp, less like what I normally expect from a pedal.

10. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    To my ears a lot of what you describe as more amp like is (along with other aspects of the circuit) the fact that it uses hard clipping, where the clipping diodes are from the output of the gain op-amp to ground, as opposed to soft clipping, where the clipping diodes are parallel to the gain pot in the feedback loop of the op-amp.
    One of Brian Wampler's videos has him switching back and forth between the two on an overdrive circuit which he built on a breadboard, and he switches between the two clipping setups (without changing anything else) and the hard clipping setup sounds more open and dynamic (Klon like) and the soft clipping sounds more compressed and pedal like to me (like a TS type) even though the hard clipping has more distortion at the same settings, until he turns the gain all the way up, and then the hard clipping gets too fuzzy.

El Tele Lobo and JayFreddy like this.

11. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    JayFreddy likes this.

12. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’ve been looking at the Klon schematics for a while because it is on my todo list and from what I can see, that is a pretty accurate copy. You’d have to check the values and trace the circuit to be certain but from what I can see, they’ve got the right parts in the right spots. It even looks like they’ve got a single tantalum capacitor in the C2 position. If it’s a faithful reproduction, it should be 1mfd and there’s should be another half a dozen 1mfd filter capacitors peppering the circuit. The exact part number for “magic” germanium diodes is unknown but the pedal guru’s have matched them electrically to 1n277 so they should be something similar.

Aside from the voltage doubler, I’ve got all the parts to build one of these but I just looked it up on EBay. What an amazing deal at $74.10 with free shipping. That’s almost too good a price to pass up.

JayFreddy likes this.

13. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Mission Viejo, California

I feel the Klone blows away the KTR to my ears and different gear I've tried it with. The Wampler Tumnus and Tumnus Deluxe edge out the Klone also. Perhaps the KTR I tried out was a weak one or something. If I ever find another used one I'll try it out again. Got to keep an open mind. I have both TD and the Klone.

JayFreddy likes this.

14. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

The bad horse is pretty good.

15. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    I've just purchased a Rimrock Mythical Overdrive.....loved the demos on YT, in a shootout with a Klon Centaur, I really could hear NO difference....any thoughts about the Mythical OD?? Any input would be appreciated....

[​IMG]

RJ

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    JayFreddy likes this.

16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I felt the same way with the BYOC Silver Pony. I'm hearing people say the Chinese kits are exact copies as well.

It's fairly clear the "secret sauce" is no longer secret, and in the case of several recent Klon clones, there are "new and improved" versions that actually are better.

rjtwangs and fasteddie42 like this.

17. Socrates01

Socrates01 TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Chicago, USA
    I have an MO which I love. I had a KTR and still have an Archer Ikon. I prefer the MO in most cases. They each have a little different character; depending on the combination of player/style/guitar/amp/mood, I sometimes like one over the other. I found the KTR to be a little boxier. Two friends bought (and love) their MO's after hearing mine. Ken @ Rimrock is a nice guy to deal with.

Comfort Player likes this.

18. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Socrates, I posted the question if there was a Mythical fan club, please go to my post and let's do start a Rimrock MO fan club!! I also just got an email from them saying that they are about to re-release the Mythical OD Vintage Spec in surf green, he sent me an invoice so I'll be sure to get one....anybody else wanting to pre order the VS Mythical send him an email....don't procrastinate or you'll miss out....

https://www.rimrockeffects.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

RJ

19. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    Curious as to which second / high clipper you opted for and why?

20. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    THE Vintage Spec MO does not have a toggle switch....in that regard it's more like an original Klon....

[​IMG]

RJ

El Tele Lobo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.