Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Klon Clone Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by JayFreddy, Apr 26, 2018.

1. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Brazil
    I have two: Tumnus and Arc Klone. Love both.

El Tele Lobo and jannodude like this.

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Soul Food (… a klon-ish pedal but not a real clone) and have ended up using it as a pure boost pedal at the end of the chain. I can’t seem to get it to sound good, and I guess it’s because I hardly ever have the opportunity to play my 30W Tremolux past 5, so of course I can’t use it as intended. Is it that, or would other clones sound better?

Does any of you like the sound of your clone into a very clean BF amp? If so, what kind of settings do you use?

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I have the Centura. It is big. And heavy. But I love the case. Very ergonomic. Sounds superb. Just the thing for leads - cuts while remaining less compressed and more dynamic than a TS, to my ear.

kevsonic likes this.

4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Edit: I've spent the first 30 of what promises to be quite a bit more minutes testing the SF. Between a Tele and a tweed champ it sounds very good. Best use to goose up the Champ fairly cranked up (8-ish) with gain anywhere west of noon. That's a great sound - but loud, band level.

At more bedroom-friendly level (5-ish on the vol. dial) it seems to give useful tones on all the gain range from noon up. So, silly me, it's very much a matter of what you plug it in and at what levels. Next tests, Strat into tweed champ, then move on to higher wattage BF, then into other gain pedals and inversely... gonna be fun and I'm sure I'll find good uses for this little humble pedal.

Last edited: May 7, 2018

5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Going to try mine with the band tonight, funny how a small thing like this will keep you pumped all day!

6. john_humphrey79

john_humphrey79 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Louisiana
    Is that a bogner Ecstacy blue? If so what are your setting as I am still trying to dial mine into my bassbreaker 15

7. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I don't have BF amp, but do have a Soul Food that only sounds good with the gain at 11 o'clock or lower. Anything higher, it is muddy, wooly. Does make a nice boost though (Vox / Boss Katana amps).

My Klone on the other hand, sounded amazing through the Kat 100 1x12! Very detailed, warm, gritty.....rolling volume back for clean. Very nice. I thank everyone in this club for leading me to this pedal. Will cure my dirt pedal gas for a little while.....

dreamingtele and RadioFM74 like this.

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Sounds good through a Pathfinder too! I was wailing at practice (different band) last night. Great pedal!

10. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I had a couple of Zoom PD overdrive's and two Rocktron Austin Gold's. Back in the pre Klone daze, these two pedals were highly thought of in coming kinda, sorta close to the original. I've never had the pleasure of playing an original, so can't say. I can say they were both great low gain OD's.

Several months ago, I took a flyer on a Tone City 'Bad Horsie'....a small footprint Klone. Again, I have no frame of reference as no Klon experience, but I will say for $30.00, this pedal was a steal. Not a bad sound to be had with this lil beaut. With the gain down, it's a wonderful always on pedal. Goosing the gain for a solo passage is pure delight. It also plays (stacks) well with other drive pedals.

As much as I'd love an Archer or Tummus, for my needs at the moment, the Bad Horsie does the trick real, real well.

11. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    What is an inexpensive clone of a klone klone that I can check out? Something new/used around $30? -- my stay out of the doghouse limit.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs

14. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Tone City Bad Horse is one of my two favorite Klones that I've tried (the other being a Crème Brulee from Tone Bakery) and is $49 new from Riff City, so you may be able to find a used one of those for $30.

jvin248 likes this.

15. Sequimite

Sequimite TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Sequim, WA
    Here's a demo for the VFE Mermaid Klon clone which I use:

awasson and vandycaster like this.

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    That demo was amazing. Mike rocks...

17. Sequimite

Sequimite TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Sequim, WA
    I'd like to put in a plug in for Peter Rutter in general and the Mermaid in particular. Peter is once again a high school math teacher but also teaches pedal building and has a workshop at the school. All proceed from his pedals these days goes into the pedal building classes. Great guy and good cause. He releases small production runs of most of his classic pedals from time to time. I just bought a new "Rise and Fall" tremolo pedal at his Reverb store with a new custom tone toggle.

Pro Guitar Shop, which is expert at pedals, cited the Merman as the best Klon clone in a video review. The Mermaid is the successor to the Merman.

18. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    I like my Klon Centaur and my KTR. Does that count? Or do you need to own a ripoff?

JayFreddy likes this.

19. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Mission Viejo, California
    Wampler Tumnus Deluxe and Arc Effects Klone here.

jannodude and JayFreddy like this.

20. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    I had a KTR I picked a couple of years and then sold it because that is what I do for extra cash. I will be getting a JRAD Silver Archer that I won the other day for a cheap price. I am pedal addict and love trying them out and keeping the ones I like anyways. Before bidding on the Archer, I did some checking around and noticed the prices being asked for the KTR were going through the roof(like $400 minimum for used pedals). The Gear Page has a 12 page thread about whether or not Bill Finnegan has stopped production. I can find no information anywhere. According to the thread none of the dealers advertising their availability has them in stock with no word on when other pedals are being restocked.Could be another in a long line of weird marketing moves that Finnegan seems to do. For those interested here is the thread on TGP:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/klon-ktr-out-of-production.1936504/

Current Reverb listings. Not one below $400 and few over $600. I can't say I regret selling mine, but should have hung onto it another couple years longer.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Klon KTR

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.