Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Kalishnicaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Billnchristy, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I have an ash body that reminded me of the grain on an AK47 stock so I decided I was going to build an AK themed tele. I ordered the remaining AK parts I need last night and will be spending some time trying to figure out what kind of pickups, bridge and such go on it. So far this is what it will feature.

AK redish color stain
    A piece of an AK receiver as the control plate. Since there will be holes I will probably fashion a black plate under it so everything will be clean and hidden.
    2 AK gas pistons for knobs
    AK trigger for selector switch -OR- an AK safety on a rotary switch, I will build both and see what happens
    A brown phenolic pickguard to match the bakelite style of old magazines and grips
    AK rear sling swivels and a genuine Russian strap for the strap.

It's going to be a lot of work machining the parts to work as knobs and switches but I think it will turn out pretty awesome.

I'll take some pics later today of what I already have and what is planned.

I'd really like to figure out a way to make the rear sights into saddles but I think that might just be pushing it too far.

PhredE and Norris Vulcan like this.

2. Billnchristy

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Oh and if anyone has a lead on where to get flat black hardware, that would be truly awesome.

3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    With a thread title like what you posted, I just HAD to check this out! LOL.

Hey, we want pictures once the project is in full swing, OK?

4. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I don t really know what a AK47 is, but i ve seen plenty of rifle guitar pics.
    [​IMG]

PhredE likes this.

5. Billnchristy

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    There will definitely be pics. I just had a minute to sit and post and I'm so giddy just thinking about it.

I'll have 12 phenolic sheets around tele pickguard size too, the place had a $30 minimum order and every time I added another sheet to the cart the price got lower so 12 cost the same as 1.

PhredE likes this.

6. Billnchristy

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I hope mine won't be that hideous

PhredE and johnny k like this.

7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    Modern economics at work!

Hey, I'm sure the final outcome of the project will be worthy either way. Personally, I love it when guys exercise some creativity and build stuff like this.

Good luck, keep up the good work.

8. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France

9. Billnchristy

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Roy was in a western? That's cool

10. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    That guitar may be illegal in some states

11. Billnchristy

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Ok here is an example of the colors:
    image.jpeg
    And some of the hardware I already have
    image.jpeg
    The chrome thing is the gas piston, I have a second on order for the knobs. I will cut the piston off the rod and drill out the bottom for the pot. Hopefully it won't eat too many drill bits.

The sling swivel is pretty obvious.

The safety selector is the bottom lever and will be the switch or the trigger. I like the selector better but I don't know if its weight will turn the switch, that will have to be experimented.

The sling is pretty much like on the rifle but I found one with two clips so it's easy to get on and off.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

13. Billnchristy

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Neck is stained
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Body got some grain fill
    image.jpeg

fenderchamp likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.