The Joy of Booking

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, May 15, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

So I got asked to play a local venue's summer concert series. It's at a local restaurant/bar/music room that's kind of hard to get into for a regular weekend slot, so this will be a good opportunity for us to play and let the owner hear us and all. I've played there quite a bit with previous bands and know the owner pretty well.

I get the date and say, "Yeah, we'll do it." Only I didn't check with the steel player. He's got a work related teaching gig that night and is leaving town the next day. Oops. My bad! I contacted the owner ask if there's another date or we can play as a trio without the steel player. There's no other date, but he's OK with the trio. It's not quite what we are now, but we played as a trio before the steel player joined us. We can make it work.

I might see if the fiddle chick in my old band can join us for the night. There's not much pay, but we're getting food and drink.

It's so much fun being the band leader! Lesson learned, check with bandmates before you say yes.

2. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In my old hometown, there were about 5 or 7 players that would play in different configurations that resulted in 3 or 4 different "bands", each one completely different from the other. Substituting the fiddle for the steel or doing it as a trio could be opportunities to develop something different. Play with the players you've got and see what happens. Either way, congrats on the gig! At least you've got choices.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

go for the fiddle chick, for sure.

fiddle chicks guarantee a value-added proposition, IME

kookaburra and Paul in Colorado like this.
  4. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

I started playing solo and musicians joined me on the road. I've never been able to understand what they really wanted. I've tried to form a band but it seems like they don't want to be a band. I now say that I'm a solo artist and check with the bookers what they'd like to have at their venue... most of the time, they don't give a **** about who I'll play with as far as it sounds good... go figure it out.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Yes, but there is also "strike while the iron is hot." It's sometimes tough lining up gigs. If I have someone willing to commit, I hate to say "I'll get back to you later." Who knows how hard it will be to get ahold of them again. Tricky.

6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I wish I knew a fiddle chick. The Avett Brothers have one...very envious.

7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For my infant band I found Teamup (teamup.com) which is a free calendar. We quickly realized that getting schedules together for rehearsal and live dates was doable, but required a lot of texting. One guy is in sales so he's travelling out of town for small stints of time, etc

We're starting to use the calendar to block off dates we can't do any thing ...and it looks promising. For example, we saw that May 30th was the only open date in 10 days before it and 10 days after for a rehearsal....so we set it up quickly.

For booking live dates, any one of us can open it up the App and give a quick No if need be and quickly ask for a new date ....or give a tentative Yes, this looks like a good date...pencil me in and I'll verify in couple hours.

For our shtick we're not using subs it's the band or we pass.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

As long as she'll fiddle ;)

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Darn! Fiddle Chick is going to be out of town. I need to see who I can find. There are a gazillion bluegrass bands around here. I'll have to see who I might be able to get.

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, the joy of booking. I tell my members to let me know any dates to "black out" Got real tired of running into what you had happen. it's hard enough to book gigs, but when you finally do and someone says : "wow I forgot, I have to pick cherries that day..." it's a pisser...
    Not that telling them to let me does much good...

nojazzhere and Paul in Colorado like this.
  11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

That’s kinda the way it is with some of the bands I play with. One guy will get a lead on a gig, call the “core” guys about availability, if one or more guys are already booked we’ll get on the phone for subs and take the gig anyway. Or if the budget is there we’ll add a player or a singer, maybe a steel player or a fiddle or a chick singer. Sometimes it might even be a total pickup band. You’d prefer to have a set lineup but sometimes it just doesn’t work out that way. That can go one of two ways lol, but if you’ve got guys that are use to doing that kinda thing it can be a lot of fun. Most of the guys I work with are guys I’ve played with off and on for years, so everybody’s pretty familiar with what the other guys do.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    joealso likes this.
  12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Lesson learned: First you get the Gig!
    You did that.
    The rest should take care of itself.
    YEP!!!

13. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Bummer man! Good luck finding a good fiddle chick or other player.

We’ve had some scheduling nightmares. The two people who do most of the legwork to book gigs have not gone along with using a shared calendar but it seems like the right idea.

And good luck with the gig!

Paul in Colorado likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.