Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Jazzbox Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by goonie, Feb 8, 2015.

1. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Ibanez Jazzbox Link

Geez, such beautiful axes folks!! 'Love all the photos, especially all those vintage gals with the P90's.

I have a Ibanez Pat Metheny PM2 in antique amber finish..... over the last year or so, I've done some tweaks to it. A Lollar Charlie Christian pickup installation, replaced the tuning buttons with ebony, swapped out the metal trapeze to an ebony tailpiece.....heavier gauge flatwounds.

Before getting it, and during the modifications, I posted a lot of information on all the other models.... comparing specs to other axes and history....etc....

It's all in this here thread, if you're interested:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-guitars-other-instruments/421822-ibanez-pat-metheny-pm2-antique-amber.html

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015

2. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Dec 20, 2011
    Australia
    That's a lovely axe Eugene (hey isn't that a song?)

Loving all the jazzboxes. Had mine a week now and just can't put it down. I think my strats are getting jealous.

3. eugenedunn

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA

Hey Fabricator...... please tell us more about the choices you made for wood and other components, when building your stunning custom axe. Beautifully figured box......

4. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    All beautiful guitars!

You're killing me with these things. When I bought the tele I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 2006 Gibson P90 ES 175. I chose the tele and even though I like the tele, I wish I would have bought the jazz box, it's gone now and I'm still looking at them.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Hi Chris!
    You and a played together a time or two with my BF Larry B. in Burnet, Tx.
    The brilliant mandolinist Paul Glasse and the late Jimmy Day helped us out, too.
    I remember you played an blonde ES-347.
    So, " Howdy!"

6. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Checking this guitar out... the headstock script and wood are NICE!
    The whole thing is beautiful... pure class.

7. Phildog

Phildog TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    So, one day, I stumbled into an old, beat-up store front pawn shop. The place was so dusty and dingy looking. Long story short, I walked out with this guitar for $200...

My '91 "Pre" Joe Pass Emperor (MIK)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. eugenedunn

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I gotta say, that regardless of cost, one of the coolest headstock designs ever, has been the Epiphone "Tree of Life" inlay...... that's beautiful

9. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Hey Bill, funny running into you here. :cool: I remember you. And yes, playing with Paul and Jimmy was always a treat -- a music lesson every night. :confused: I didn't keep that 347 for very long; traded it in for the Aria Herb Ellis and a Tokai Tele which Mike Stevens customized for me. CS

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Walked? You must have been bookin' it, because you stole that!

11. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

So sweet... I'm having an emotional reaction.
    Beautiful story. It was meant to be.

12. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2012
    Texas
    Thank for the kind words, Eugenedunn & Bingy.
    Sorry for the slow response. I just now saw your comments.

I built that guitar around Gibon's L-5 specs. As to wood selection: like I said, it was my first build, and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on wood (which is easy to do) in case it didn't turn out well. I bought most of the wood locally. The top is redwood, nearly quarter-sawn with tight grain. I had to dig around before finding that piece. I used X bracing for a mellower tone (the original L-5's used parallel bracing, I think). The sides are lightly figured maple that I bought from Stew-Mac. The back is made from a really plain-looking piece of flat-sawn maple - it's the one thing I really wish I'd done different. The neck is laminated from two pieces of maple with a mahogany strip down the center. The fretboard is ebony with MOP block markers. The headstock, pickguard, and tailpiece have a burled maple veneer on them. The pickup is from Kent Armstrong and I use roller pots for volume and tone - they're mounted under the pickguard and practically invisible.

Attached Files:

13. eugenedunn

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA

Attached Files:

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I got this back in the 90s, when I first came to Japan: Greco Fa-95

[​IMG]

I liked it fine when I bought it (in fact, it was sort of a dream guitar at the time), but it's a bit bulky for me, and I've sorta quit playing jazz, so I think it's going on the block.

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Here are mine. Gibson ES-330 1959 reissue, and a Gretsch 6120, also 1959 (reissue).

I don't view either of these as jazzboxes, not really. But I "make do" :D, while saving for my Gibson 175, and maybe an Eastman AR905CE.

Actually, I play most of my jazz stuff on a Gibson 335, and a Tele, but I've used restraint and not posted their ugly not-fully-hollow pictures here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    I am joining the club too! About a month ago I bought a 2005 Epiphone Emperor Regent made in the Korean Peerless factory. It's got a beautiful setup and I love it's sound both plugged in and unplugged. I keep it strung up with D'Addario Jazz Light nickel wound strings with a wound 3rd. I managed to get it for $400 w/case. Seeing as they are discontinued I think I got a good deal. I think Epiphone make the best bang for your buck archtop.

I don't have a digital camera however mine looks just like this one.

[​IMG]

17. eugenedunn

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Single Pickup Jazz Guitar

I love the mojo of a single pickup axe.

There's all the talk about how tone and sustain are affected by only one magnetic pickup pulling on strings, as compared to a dual pickup axe. I dunno if I buy it necessarily, but I dig the spare elegance of the single pickup look.

Attached Files:

guitarmikey likes this.

18. nielsk

nielsk Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2015
    Netherlands
    here is a picture to show off my Levin 330 :D. It is from the early sixties. Not all original, still i do like the woody sound.

[​IMG]

19. DW Calumet

DW Calumet Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2014
    Chicago/NWI
    Heres a couple custom Gretsch 5120s

57 chevy dusk pearl

image-9434218.jpg

Kandy Pagan Gold

image-3698626286.jpg

20. eugenedunn

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow..... "Dusk Pearl". Man, that's a beautiful hue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.