The Humbler...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, May 3, 2019.

1. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

LOL!!!!

Dr Improbable likes this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Delve into his history you'll find that he was a generous musician on-stage and was happy to play rhythm behind anyone who had a solo moment. It was simply his skillset and inventiveness that got him the "humbler" tag.

nojazzhere, djh22 and Dr Improbable like this.
  3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What difference does it make? If you've heard him play...you don't need anymore information.

1955, Rowdyman and Dr Improbable like this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was living in Charlottesville, VA in the '80's when I discovered Danny. I had an early instruction video of his I borrowed from my guitar teacher. I'd use the VHS at work after hours in the conference room and watch it hoping something might rub off. I regret that I never took the time to go up to DC to hear him play.

5. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Check out the book "Unfinished Business" on Danny. I think it was in that book that I read an account of how, in the '70s, Bill Kirchen was passing through the DC area and needed some work done on his guitar. Someone recommended that he see Danny. Kirchen thought he was just a tech so he wasn't expecting much when Danny asked if he could pick a few licks on the guitar after he finished up the work. Needless to say, Kirchen was very impressed, and possibly humbled.

6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I posted this a few years ago:

Back in the mid 70's (in SE PA) we had heard rumors of a guitar picker that was living in rural Virginia that was one of the best of the best. And, that he was kind of shy (or even a hermit) and that he never toured as it took him away from his family and home.

Not much more info than that... no name or anyhing.

Much later, I read an article about this "Danny Gatton" guy who lived in rural VA and didn't like touring.

And, that he was a monster guitar player.

There were a few pics of this guy on a porch and by an old shed with some beat up cars in the background.

Well...

it was HIM.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.