the horror..... the horror.... of buying and selling gear

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Whatizitman, May 20, 2019.

1. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I never pay more than 50% of the price new stuff cost
    Why should I pay just a little less to buy something someone allready used , no way.
    I see it all the time , 400$ pickups offered for 380 , shipped.
    Or a 500$ guitar offered for 420....who pays these prices ??

Deathray and telemnemonics like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's another huuuge buying trend I just don't get.

An amp that sells for $99 one place is $154 on Amazon.

Why buy on amazon???
    I very very seldom find Amazon has the best price on anything, so I just don't buy there.
    To get free shipping you have to pay them???
    Or buy extra stuff?
    Define "free".

Blue Bill, Toto'sDad and Zepfan like this.
  3. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Musicians Friend and Guitar Center (same company now?) have a ridiculously long return policy. It encourages people to buy then try an item. If they don't like it, send it back just pay shipping.
    So, a full refund is expected. If you consider eBay and Paypal's return guarantees and how easy it is for people to abuse it, then it's not surprising that people get upset when they take a loss on a purchase. They expect their money back. All of it. They don't worry about being a "responsible buyer".

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    telemnemonics and Whatizitman like this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure that's part of it. It's just that I can't get past how much people are willing to shell out for gear, new or used, only to try to flip it, while at the same time complain about loss and risk after the fact. Gear is rarely ever a good investment to begin with. Why are people so quick to blame everyone else but themselves for losing money. If money were such an issue, what were they thinking buying a big ticket item?

Same guys that complain about Mercedes and sailboats depreciating?

Like my old man used to say...

[​IMG]

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I hardly ever buy anything on Amazon, but I'm always annoyed by the box asking me if I want to donate to a charity they'll take the money and give it to them. Huh? If I want to donate to a charity, I'll do it myself. I kind of feel like I've taken a virtual trip to WalMart where someone is always trying to get me to buy some peanut brittle for a worthy cause that I would be afraid to feed old Alex, cause there ain't no tellin' what's in it.

6. Whatizitman

'Buyer protection'? People may trust Amazon more than going through Monoprice directly.

And flipping a monoprice for a profit? Never. Gonna. Happen.

7. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Everybody these days is asking to donate to a charity. Walmart checkout, fast food places, everybody asking for money for charity. Do you want to donate a dollar to _______? How do I know how much of that money goes to that particular charity and how much goes to the suits for administrative or other costs? It's annoying. If I want to donate to a charity I will seek it out.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

My wife is lots better at that sort of thing than I am. I always at least consider the charity that's being touted at the store when checking out. My wife automatically says, no not today. After thinking about it, I am going to memorize that line and use it next time I'm asked if I want to donate to save the Arizona rattlesnakes.

9. telemnemonics

You might be the guy I've actually bought from on Reverb!
    The last pedal I bought there was a Basic Audio Scarab.
    Zero for sale anywhere.
    Out of production and the V2 runs $200.
    Seller listed at $100 and I offered $90 which was $100 shipped.
    A little high IMO but what a great take on a Tone Bender!

I'd be happy to buy more stuff there but so few sellers even try to compete with ebay sales history.

Money is tight all around, but time is money too.
    Selling gear for top dollar takes more time, just not worth the wage to go into business trying to wring that last 25% out of used stuff IMO.
    Getting a part time job at GC might pay better.

Certainly though, on high end stuff it's worth taking the time, since 25% might be a big chunk of money.
    There again though, to one degree or another, we took our chances when we chose to use expensive gear. Or to buy new retail.
    Can't take a $500+ "loss"?
    Don't buy a $2000 guitar.

Whatizitman and Marc Morfei like this.
  10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Unhappiness with voluntary retail, is like unhappiness about ketchup on a table (its optional).

Unhappiness with getting street prices for Gibson Les Pauls at GC, is like unhappiness with getting street prices anywhere.

11. telemnemonics

I wonder if the people who complain about the people who won't give them more money realize that they themselves are the people they are complaining about?

Wanting the better end of the deal and complaining about people who want the better end of the deal?

Piggy Stu and Whatizitman like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

It won't be worth anything JUST AS SOON AS THE HEADSTOCK BREAKS!

13. Whatizitman

I unfortunately have no problem saying no to charities. I certainly am not against charity organizations. Quite the opposite. I just don't like giving out money to anyone but family and friends. I don't have a lot of friends.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Whatizitman

Exactly.

15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I buy new, I buy because I need, not because I want, I don't sell. My kids and grandkids can do what they like with my gear when I'm gone. It should be an interesting squabble, too bad I won't be there to see it.

16. telemnemonics

Fair enough about buyer protection.

But the biggest complaint about ebay seems to be that they offer too liberal buyer protection, where like GC who also gets ragged on, the buyer has six months to return an item.
    I agree that for a seller it's unfair.
    But buyers want to get it, while being miffed about having to provide it.

As far as Amazon have buyer protection, I get lots of stuff from Amazon at work, and we have to use that protection regularly.
    It's a big PITA to have to return stuff regularly because of sub par quality.
    Amazon sells crap but takes it back if you notice.
    Amazon also screws up shipment frequently but refunds when they screw up.

I prefer quality products that arrive on time and work well for a long time.

Because consumers have become essentially addicted to Amazon, product and service quality have both gotten worse.

That Amazon lip service costs us all in the end.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  17. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Tell that to Jeff Bezos.

Dan.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4-5 yrs before the crash ? There were a couple years there where I made more money from flipping amps/guitars than anything else.

And that was on :eek: EBay :eek: !!!

Once you get the system wired , it’s nothing .

And I sold world wide. Which, Kinda saved my ass in the couple years book-ending the crash. There definitely were other countries affected less than us because I was shipping to Iceland and Italy and Japan and the UK etc. etc. etc.

19. Toto'sDad

I used to regularly donate to a number of charities. One in particular could always count on me for a check at Christmas time. Then I happened onto the minutes on the internet from one of their meetings where it discussed the salaries of the CEO and compensation of a retired tv guy in our area. The CEO of the LOCAL CHARITY was knocking down right at a hundred grand a year. The TV personality was compensated $280,000 for his tireless work in securing money for the charity. That was it, I was done. When you pull $380,000 right off the top, makes you wonder what was left.

Whatizitman and elihu like this.
  20. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

This...

Back in the 1990's the organization I work for had a large United Way fundraiser every year and employees were encouraged to donate a percentage of their checks. Then the president was found guilty of fraud, conspiracy and filing false tax returns. Oh yeah, he used some of the money to entertain his teenage girlfriend. :rolleyes: All my money is local now-not because I want to be a big shot but for the simple reason there's a greater likelihood that more of it goes to the specific need. BTW, my organization still does the big yearly fundraiser. I just don't participate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca.../gIQALnwbMN_story.html?utm_term=.b2f0636563a8

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.