Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The hopeful demise of the sunburst finish.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by chemobrain, Jan 31, 2017.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    As I age, I grow ever increasingly more crotchety. The latest burr under my blanket is the sunburst finish.
    It started with the dreadful watermelon sunburst finishes of Rickenbackers decades ago. Even as a young lad it was extremely repellent.
    Now as time has rolled by one wretched decade at a time; it's any sunburst finish, be it violin, antique, vintage, cherry, reptilian, rotten guava sunrise, sunset, Two colors, 3 colors, purple hazed or T.V. Dog Urine Yellow.
    Milk finish, clear finish, solid color finish, transparent finish, natural with oiled finish seem to be more or less, much more interesting and less tedious than the threadbare, once trendy finishes from the odoriferous moldering catalog of Sunburst-Pedia.

2. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Ohhh! Somebody sounds tired.....

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Mine will eventually wear off.
    It will take a while.
    Hope you'll be patient with the pending demise.
    ( I've seen a few to many myself)
    I subscribe to the 'listen more, look less' philosophy.

Mr. Lumbergh and Tremade like this.

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    So what single color do you like? Seems like you've crossed off the rest of them.

SnidelyWhiplash, kuvash and MilwMark like this.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    As your post clearly demonstrates. :p
    Seriously, you're not alone. I'm 67 and, if not for my two adorable granddaughters, would be a total curmudgeon. Other people irritate me to no end. :lol:
    As for finishes, I feel that way about Candy Apple Red. Fortunately, no one forces us to own those finishes that offend us.:eek:
    (Ok, I've used all the emoticons that might be relevant)

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

6. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Interesting way of putting it..... I've never been a huge fan of sunburst myself. Although, I've owned a few that I got in trades. Most of my guitars are black, red, white or natural. I'm also a fan of blue, green and orange.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Sunburst and black. My two least favorite finishes.

What does Fender offer as the only choice on some models?

Sunburst and black.

Their ubiquity is part of why I dislike them.

8. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Sounds like someone has a case of the mon... wait... um... a case of the tues...days...

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    God you'd REALLY hate the 'black burst' looking roadworn I'm lusting for.
    I could about give two tosses on colour if it plays/ sounds right, thou.

I once tried a tri-tone sunburst, expecting three different,...tones.
    At least one was missing.

watercaster, awasson and TigerG like this.

10. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I don't love it but don't hate it either. When I found a '09 RW Tele that sounded terrific but was a sunburst model I didn't let it dissuade me. 6 months later and many compliments and a few offers to buy later and I'm glad I didn't let the color be a big issue. Is what it is. That said I wish it was blonde. Then again there's a fairly decent sized I-hate-blonde contingent too.

kuvash likes this.

11. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    I love sunburst on old gibsons. But I will agree that a poorly done sunburst ain't good at all.

[​IMG]

We can also agree that there will always be much better options:

[​IMG]

All joking aside I can dig painted graphics on a guitar/bass/uke:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Kojer, tintag27, brbadg and 2 others like this.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Well, since you didn't mention it, you must be a huge fan of the paisley and flower bursts:

images-2.jpeg images-5.jpeg images-4.jpeg images-4.jpeg

kuvash and awasson like this.

13. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    I've always thought that a well-done cherry sunburst is the finish that most puts across the gloriousness that is an electric guitar.

And while I do agree that there are other sunbursts that range from blah to hideous, I will maintain:
    1. that's due to the colors making up the sunburst rather than the fact of sunburst itself
    2. the same could be said of some solid colors

14. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada

15. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    I love a good black/red/yellow burst. I bought this bass just because of the finish on it.

Attached Files:

16. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    I dunno. In 2013, when I bought my new MIM strat, I specified sunburst. I love the look. Yeah, it's a bit of a throwback to the days of Buddy Holly, but that's not a bad thing IMO - and it certainly wan't yet another black paint/white pickguard that was all over the place in the late 70s/80s.

Gotta say, though, that arctic white...... :)

17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Admittedly, I'm not the biggest CAR fan, but since it's the color my Muddy Waters tele...if it works for him, it works for me

TigerG likes this.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I don't like sunburst finishes either.
    Only my groovy PRS Kestrel bass has one.
    It's a great bass, so it can stay.
    Yup, I'm old and cranky too.

19. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    I'd like to see a "reverse sunburst."

Light around the edges, getting darker towards the center.

SOMETHING DIFFERENT, I suppose.

fortj3 and Grux like this.

20. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    When i was shopping for my tele, i was faced with two sunburst guitars - the 2013 64 reissue and an American special. I'm not a huge sunburst fan, really, those just happened to be the guitars they had and they were (incredibly) the same price. On first glance, I was attracted more to the Special SB finish (honestly, I didn't know anything about the '64 - just the price). The vintage SB of the 64 did not appeal to me. When I A/B'd them, the modern features of the Special, one-by-one, started to turn me off. The body cuts and the pickups just didn't satisfy. But with each play I fell in love with the 64 reissue.
    I would have never thought twice about Lake Placid Blue or white, but the SB was the one on sale. After playing it for almost a year, I don't even remember why I didn't like the look, initially. I just love the guitar and I think it looks beautiful now.
    But, they can stop making sunbursts - I have one and if I get another guitar I hope to get a different color.

fortj3 and kuvash like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.