Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The history and merits of "blackfacing"

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by theprofessor, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Wish I did! Traded it in the 90s, silly me.....

2. This explains a lot, I had a Tremolux mounted in a 1x12 cab which I thought lacked the proper bass response. I now have the normal Tremolux setup which to me sounds way better.

3. Indian Joe

Indian Joe Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Ramona, California, U$A
    Been away for a few days with gigs, but I, too, am really digging this thread. Thanks to robrob & others who are giving explanations on what happens when components are changed.
    My dilemma, if one can consider it such, is having 8 somewhat different sounding working guitars, and 4 classics I now only record with, and ending up with 8 or more amps, still trying to find best amp guitar matches. I get through a 2-set show with 2 guitars & 2 amps, having to play some songs differently because of the sounds. So, if a guitar has more bass to it, or a stronger mid-range, or more treble, there seems to be no one amp that works for all. As is, I had a friend build me an 1164 PR with TMB which helps, and I use it on some tunes, but also take out my Burris Royal Bluesman, and last weekend my Swart STR-Trem. So far, so good, for that. Still, I would really like to have a selection of small amps dialed into my guitars. Hopefully, this thread will give me better insight to do that. The same brand pickups in a different guitar sound different, even if the wood is the same ( ash, mahogany,) we all know that.
    I am honoured, Swart posted a pic I sent of my guitar stash and new STR-Trem on their website news. Now I stand 5'4 1/2" tall, not just 5'4"! Keep this going, guyz!

robrob likes this.

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I pulled the chassis on my 79 today to clip the bright cap on the reverb channel volume pot, took a picture of the bias pot. It has at the least been rewired, or maybe my tech put a new one in when he replaced the bad filter caps.
    I may be mistaken, it happens! , but I was pretty sure that my DR amps had a bias balance pot like all the other SF amps I've owned.

At any rate here's a picture of what's in it now.

20170611_133159.jpg

5. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    It looks like he may have just changed the resistor on the pot.

6. Indian Joe

Indian Joe Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Ramona, California, U$A
    Intended 'dumb' humour: Would totally BF'ing a SF include using a 2-prong AC cord? /;-)
    Anybody know when the red end 3- prong cord started? Did it change the tone any?/;-)
    Hey, it's Monday morning, I still need to unload the Band Wagon from weekend gigs....more coffee please!

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    The resistor was changed - they often are to get better adjustment, although a 28k is a little unusual. Regardless, it's stock wiring for adjustable bias and always has been. It was not "balance bias" ever unless it was modified for some weird reason.

slider313 likes this.

8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    Looks like 18k to me? Brown, grey orange?

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ha! Yeah: "I want my amp completely blackfaced. I want you to replace this grounded plug with a non-grounded one, and I want you to install a 'death capacitor.'"

Indian Joe likes this.

10. Indian Joe

Indian Joe Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Ramona, California, U$A
    Once I took a SF PR that was in a closet for 20+ years to a tech to be serviced so I could put it to work, but he would not change the 2 prong plug for me! It was several years before I had another amp for a sub so I could leave the PR with a tech to do the swap for me. Had to check with a test lite between the guitar & mic to avoid lip burn, with less than accurate results. Finally I removed the chassis to look at the bare wire ends, and marked the plug end. Whew! Live to tell about it. Life in a rock & roll band.

robrob likes this.

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Maybe he was the electronics engineer guy that I knew. When I met him he worked at a hardware store and asked me if I needed help, told him I was looking for a grounded cord to put on an old Fender tube amp.
    That started a conversation about his degrees, his work on nuclear missiles, and his time as a certified Fender amp tech.
    He went on to tell me an old Fender wouldn't work with a grounded cord? How he finely sold his BFSR because he hated the shocks?
    Of course I had to say I've installed a bunch of grounded cords on old Fenders and other amps. I asked what he thought changed when Fender put grounded cords on basically the same amps.
    And I asked him why he didn't flip the ground switch or the plug on his SFSR. You'd think an EE would know that.
    Sadly he's dead now. I hate to think about the amps he screwed up by "fixing" Leo's mistakes. But on a bright note I like going to the hardware store again. . . .

Indian Joe and jonrpick like this.

12. Indian Joe

Indian Joe Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Ramona, California, U$A
    I'm glad I had enough sense as a little kid to want to figure things out for myself instead of trust those lame adults for real answers! Perhaps I was fortunate in that my strong instincts and inner senses propelled me the way they did, no doubt why I am still alive today, at least at this writing! It's when I don't listen to my 'self' difficulties arise. Regarding the 2-prong plug on my old PR, I thought I should just remove the chassis and see which wire was hot, but expected the repairman to do it. Great Expectations, but the World let me down.

13. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    So when my BFVR had the three prong cord added was it Silverfaced?

14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    I thought that this was going to be a thread about minstrel shows.

15. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Wow 500pF-1000pF? Those are tiny couplers, even if you're trying to trim some lows. My silverface twin has a 10nF coupler there, stock. It's also interesting, if theyre trying to limit the bass to the cab, to control farts, why are they still using 100nF caps after the PI? If you want to trim lows, and kill farts, I'd definitely drop those to 22nF, for faster bias excursion and better low end response. I also wouldn't cut so much bass before the PI, personally.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.