Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

The Great Writer Christopher Hitchens Dies at 62

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Phenomenal man of words.

First saw him bloviating wildly from a remote on some show and when they went to another contributor in a different locale the look of shock on their face was priceless.

Then I next saw him on another news show where he was live from London and he was sooooo obviously hungover it hurt to even look at him. His hair every which way, slitty eyes, hunched shoulders but when he offered his opinion it was the same razor-sharp wit and well thought-out perspective.

I loved the guy. Didn't always agree with him but always loved the way he said almost anything.

Well worth searching out his books and articles.
  2. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

Mar 14, 2007
    Columbus OH
    Brilliant writer, and he didn't shy from telling the truth regardless of who he angered. I will miss him greatly.
  3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I could not agree more.
  5. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Nov 21, 2010
    Rocky Hill, CT
    His absence will leave a large void in the public discourse.

I cannot add to or subtract from the Original Post in any way. Well stated.
  6. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2009
    It is truly a sad day.

Now there is no one to tell his knob-head brother where to shove his Daily Mail articles.

7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

The world is just a little less interesting today.

Thank you for the post, Mr. Eskimo, and an extra thank you for using the word "bloviating."
  8. Mjark

Mjark Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    He will be missed.
  9. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Razor sharp wit is right. He was almost always the smartest guy in the room.

I didn't always agree with him, but he always followed his conscience and his intellect in the positions he took, with no regard for political correctness or public opinion. I have to respect that.

A great loss to be sure. I wish he could have been with us another decade or three. 62 is too young....
  10. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    I liked and admired Hitchens, although I really no longer agreed with his outlook after 9/11. Nevertheless, a smart man and brilliant writer. I assume he both drank and smoked a bit on the heavy side? A shame; cancer took both of my parents and it's a miserable way to go.
  11. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Man i enjoyed the heck out of reading his work and listening to that guy -
  12. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    St. Paul, MN
    He was a rare breed. Especially in these times.
  13. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    An interesting man indeed. His wit and wisdom will be missed.
  14. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    I just heard about this as well. I didn't realize he was sick, I'm very sorry to hear that. He was a brilliant man who constantly challenged people to think. He will be missed greatly.
  15. As I wrote on TGP:

Prayers sent. No, scratch that. Glass raised.
  16. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    Auburn, Alabama
  17. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    I'm so sad to hear this. His was one of my favourite minds on the planet. The depth of historical knowledge combined with his intellect and wit was unstoppable and I'm sure there are many that wished they could have stopped it when it was aimed at them. He stood out from all the agents of blah blah blah that surround us.

When I run across folks who obviously adore themselves as witty intellects I just pull up Mr. Hitchens in my mind's eye and have a chuckle.

18. Maybe RIP may be the wrong thing to say with Christopher Hitchens. I think the thread on TGP got it right: Vale Christopher Hitchens...
  19. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Took the words right out of my mouth (keyboard... whatever). Not resting -- dead; completely and permanently extinguished.

I know RIP is often just a figure of speech, but many people mean it in the literal sense, and that's precisely the kind of thing Hitchens railed against.
  20. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    Strong voice...ironic he would succumb to throat cancer...
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.