Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The finer points of finishing commercially cut bodies.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by old_picker, Oct 3, 2017.

1. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

Just received two bodies from a new supplier. Over all very nice with one "not nice" feature I'll discuss in another thread.

I usually cut my own bodies and don't bother with rebating the string bushing holes. The ones in this body are neatly done as in the pic below. The fit of the vintage nickel tuner bushing is squeezy and just about perfect for a tap home with a mallet. Once I shoot 20-30 or so coats of grain fill, primer, colour and clear the holes will have decreased in size markedly and those little blokes will never go in the holes without shattering lacquer all round them. I cant see myself drilling them out without damaging the lacquer either.

My question is how do I keep finish out of the busing rebate holes?

[​IMG]

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I think the trick is heating the ferrule up with a soldering iron just enough to soften the lacquer - then you gently push it home... something like that anyway

Edit: while the ferrule is pushed in as far as it will comfortably go by hand

DrASATele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.