Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Fender Jaguar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SonicDiveBomb, Oct 2, 2017.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    You guys wanna see some weird s***? Here’s my cobain a few years ago... with wide range humbuckers. I routed it, looking for a guitar with these pickups before I got my ‘75 tele deluxe. Always loved the sound of wide ranges. The pickups were not bad! They were fairly accurate to the originals, obviously not exactly the same.

So I routed it, wired it up. It LOOKED super weird, like something out of sonic youth.. which isn’t a bad thing in my eyes.

Here’s the issue: it sounded like total crap. The reason? I completely blame it on those wolf tones and the scale length. Wide ranges didn’t not agree with short scale.. it was much MUCH too wimpy of a sound. And with gain? Forget it. It sounded almost like you were jumping your distortion channel and your clean channel and the clean channel was louder. Bleh.

So anyway, yes, I did put it back to the way it was and I don’t regret it one bit. Sounds great!
    IMG_6024.JPG

Steve Holt and audiopablo like this.

2. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2015
    SoCal, CA
    Here's a weird one I had done for my classic 60s before I eventually sold it. I asked a shop to drop in some 65 jazzmaster pickups in it. It was pretty cool, but it didn't come out like I thought it would sound. I wanted a jag for some shows and my 60s baja partscaster thing was a better fit.

A younger guy bought it, who was going to make some good noise/ambient with it, so I think it's in better hands now.

I sometimes miss it, but I just didn't play it enough to keep it. The two pickups were a little too close aesthetically for me, but it was done so not to cut into the body near the neck. Basically a boat route (rout?). I wish I would have hung on to that mastery bridge, though.

[​IMG]

SonicDiveBomb likes this.

3. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Nice one! Glad I’m not the only one with a weird jag in my past... bet that younger guy is still shoegazing away!

audiopablo likes this.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    i'm getting a pretty heavy sound out of mine running it through a distortion +, mini pog with the regular and lower octaves cranked, and the behringer hyperfuzz clone, which also adds some octave down shenanigans.

SonicDiveBomb likes this.

5. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    As an update for anyone wondering, I recently got a Japanese jag, threw lollars jag pups in there and I have no problems kicking my amps ass. It’s definitely a different sort, it’s not as massive and thick as my cobain, but it’s focused and nasty all the same

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA

i keep mine on the bridge pickup and use a huge amount of gain through a flanger and an octave pedal.

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't have any experience with them, but the Squier single coil Jag pickups are supposed to be hotter and darker. Same with the Duncan Hots for Jaguar.

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Help me, Rhonda!

9. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Classic 60's jags can definitely do nasty .... ;)

http://www.mixdownmag.com.au/gear-rundown-rowland-s-howard

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.