Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Fender Jaguar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SonicDiveBomb, Oct 2, 2017.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Love them or hate them, the jaguar is one cool guitar. So I had a question for anyone that owns one.

I have the cobain signature NOS; although I’m a nirvana fan, that’s not why I bought it. Realistically, I needed a guitar with humbuckers and that has been the only left handed guitar in the fender catalog for some time now.

Flash forward to now, almost all my guitars have humbuckers and that is probably the only guitar I’ve bought from years ago that I’ve kept... sentimental value? Maybe. Does it sound f**** amazing? Yes.

Here’s the deal: can the regular jaguar, SS config, get nearly as thick as the humbuckers? Although the cobain jag is packed with nasty PAF-style dimarzios, it still SOUNDS like a jaguar. Probably due to the trem+bridge, and I like that about it. But can a regular SS do the heavy stuff too? I’m sure people have taken advantage of the switching and done dark switches to thicken things up.

24 track likes this.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Short answer: no, not quite. Can a vintage style Jag still do heavy? Sure but how much noise do you want to deal with? Plan on staying in the middle position to keep the noise down against all the gain you'll be using.

I'm not sure I agree with PAFs and a TOM in a Jag still sounding like a Jag. What do you mean by 'dark switches'? Passive tone controls won't cut it, at least for me. I have custom switching set up on my Mustang to get the out phase sound and series (a wide wide humbucker). The series position is pretty thick and loud. The same kind of option could be had easily on a vintage-style Jag.

24 track likes this.

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Yeah I can't answer your question but I can always jump on board with some Jaguar love. Here are two of mine. I have a third somewhere, but no recent pictures. 20170620_232330.jpg 20170322_001028.jpg

4. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Perhaps it’s the scale length and the extra vibration behind the bridge that rings out. I have a few PAF equipped guitars and the jaguar is still much snappier and hoopy-er.

24 track likes this.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Aside: the 24" scale must do a little with the sound.

6. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    That’s what I was thinking. I own a mustang as well, which is 24 inches, but that extra string behind the bridge doesn’t vibrate like on the jaguar, it adds a little bit to the sound I think. I tried a buzzstop once just to see how it changed things and I actually much preferred it without...

24 track and Mr Green Genes like this.

7. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland
    Jaguar is one of my all time favorites.

24 track and Mr Green Genes like this.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    You have valid points. But you are also asking us how a SS Jaguar sounds :D, and the vintage-style Jag sound is kinda opposite of what I think when I hear/see a Gibson PAF.

The floating bridge might add some "plink" to the sound, and the (debatable) metal claw around the coil is another factor. Don't forget the break angle, as you noticed, which contributes to the 'wolf tones' behind the bridge. That's offset territory for sure.

I ditched my VM Jag because I thought I didn't like the 24" scale, but I was mistaken, I get along real well with the Mustang (inspite of the stupid vibrato). I'm not going down the scale length rabbit hole. But the real question is will a traditional SS Jag hang with PAFs to make some heavy noise, and I'm saying it's gonna be Strat vs Les Paul kinda stuff, all things being equal.

SonicDiveBomb likes this.

9. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    Whenever I read discussions on scale length v. tone I think of John Fogerty (and perhaps even a little Nugent).

24 track likes this.

10. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    This pic reminds me....

[​IMG]

...I think I really need a Jaguar!

troy2003, Ricky D., 24 track and 3 others like this.

11. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    P1100685.JPG

This is my '65 original (restored and refinished), I have Curtis Novak pickups in it. I play through a Rivera Venus 3. No doubt it has its own sound. It'll do "heavy", but I would not call it a "shred master". Then again, neither am I.

P1100687.JPG

12. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    I have a Johnny Marr jaguar which has the 4 way switch like on a baja tele so it really ought to be able to thicken up nicely. The reality though is that it really struggles to cope with a decent amount of gain. I really like it as a guitar and it's the first one I bring to recording sessions but its inability to deal with the heavier stuff has meant that I've never been able to play it live

13. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Can get a thick sound from a single coil?Sure! Will it get as thick as quick as a humbucker? No, probably not. However, with the proper application if pedals you should be able to get close to where you want to be.

24 track likes this.

14. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    If you have the Cobain model, you might like the Classic Player HH Special. Instead of the top rollers in the Jazz circuit working the neck pickup, each dials out half of each coil so that you can get something approximate to a SS configuration. It doesn't sound the same as a true SS Jag, but it covers a lot of bases. I love mine!

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS

This is a must have to me.
    Really love the Jag and the Bass VI.

savofenno, BorderRadio and 24 track like this.

16. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2015
    SoCal, CA
    I've got three different ones, though none are like the original. The closest I had to that may have been the classic 60s jag (MIM) with the 65 pickups. It was bright and never going to do what a humbucker does. Though maybe someone lucky enough to have an AVRI can chime in.

My three and comments:

• Johnny Marr Jag - as Theslack5 said - lovely guitar, but output is not its thing, even in position one, which makes the two pickups an implied humbucker. But the cleans are dreamy and maybe a boost pedal first in the chain might help. Dunno.
    • Jaguar HH - as Wilbur shows, has the HH config and the roller knobs take each pickup into single coil from humbucker. I don't know which pickup it is (atomic?), but it's a little of each, but not absolutely either. I like mine, but it's not refined, maybe because I got it cheap. I don't know if I'd play it out.
    • American Pro Jag - borrows the pickup switching from the Johnny Marr, but has higher output pickups (as opposed to the bareknuckles in the JMJag). So it's a totally different sound as single coils, but is heavier output to my ears. And when in position one, it can get heavy. I've played out with it. Liked it during our heavier songs. Really wanted a tele for some other songs. But it's got it's own thing, too.
    I hope that sheds some light on variance out there. Not one of the above three sounded like my classic 60s (that I sold).

So back to your original question: "can the regular jaguar, SS config, get nearly as thick as the humbuckers?" No, I don't think so.

I wouldn't look for that with the JM Jag, classic 60s jag. You could possibly get it from the AmPro, but its single coils are a unique sound, maybe not for Jag purists, but who knows. The HH classic with the rollers might do the trick.

BorderRadio and 24 track like this.

17. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    It's actually some sort of Frankenstein mutt of a Jag that I picked up on Reverb for a steal. It had a different pickguard and the guy I bought it from told me the original owner was trying to create some kind of Johnny Marr thing. So it has a Warmoth body, a Japanese Mustang neck (one of the best necks I've ever played) and I redid the electronics to get it back to Jaguar specs. It also came with the mastery bridge and tailpiece so I couldn't pass it up!

18. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    Image1507068932.191751.jpg Image1507068958.164181.jpg

My two Jags! The white one has been slightly modded with the new pickguard and Cobain toggle plate. I will be taking the thinline to practice this week. Haven't heard it turned up yet, but all signs point to it being "not heavy/thick" sounding even though it has Novak singles in it. I will probably modify it to do the series config at some point.

I owned the current American pro Jag for a brief time. Sounded absolutely lovely clean. Overdriven, not so much IME, but I can't say I really gave it a fair/exhaustive test in that regard.

Keep us updated! :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

19. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    I think I’ll be sticking with the cobain! I think I would really miss that lush sound of the PAFs. I think I’ll be installing some push pull pots though to get me somewhere close to SS jag. The nice thing is, the cobain jag DOES have 1 meg pots like the original jaguars, which I think is it’s secret to it sounding so good... such a good tone! God have mercy on my soul when I try to split that super distortion. Hoping it isn’t icepick city...

audiopablo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.